Sponsored

New TSB JL 2018 2019: Vehicle wanders requires constant small steering corrections - New Track Bar

Juni

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport
If its just the steering wheel that's off, its an easy fix.
I did some poking around...someone correct me if i'm wrong. You can just adjust the drag link to set the wheel straight? Looks fairly straightforward. I was going to look at that today if it ever stops raining (no garage here).

If not i'll take it back to the dealer... you know..coz i totally wanted to go there again this week. :LOL:
Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
I did some poking around...someone correct me if i'm wrong. You can just adjust the drag link to set the wheel straight? Looks fairly straightforward. I was going to look at that today if it ever stops raining (no garage here).

If not i'll take it back to the dealer... you know..coz i totally wanted to go there again this week. :LOL:
Yep, the drag bar is a very easy adjustment, just loosen one bolt and twist the ring screw to correct the steering wheel. Now if that's not the root of the problem then a full alignment might be the only fix.

Juni

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport
Yep, the drag bar is a very easy adjustment, just loosen one bolt and twist the ring screw to correct the steering wheel. Now if that's not the root of the problem then a full alignment might be the only fix.
Thanks! I adjusted, seems much better. The road crown around here is crazy so i test drove a 10 mile loop that included highway, local roads, straight, curvy, and potholey (smooth is a relative term in PA). Adjusted. Test drove, adjusted, and just got back from test driving again. I think i got it.

So that said... for everyone else: Despite not being given the new track bar... whatever this "adjustment and balancing of the steering stabilizer" is it did make a marked improvement. I wouldn't say its 100% gone with the wandering, but improved enough to stay in the lane at 70mph on the highway with minimal input. MUCH less play in steering wheel itself. I've got the new steering stabilizer, So if you get the V41 done and are going back trying to get the trackbar...you can add what they did to mine to the list of things that may or may not improve your driving experience.

20190814_121713.jpg

jmcdtucson

First Name
Jerel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Question: is the new trackbar the same for Sahara/Sport as it is for a Rubicon? Just found the newer trackbar on Craigslist off a 2019 Rubicon and want to verify it will fit my 2018 Sport. I'd rather just replace it myself than mess with the dealership.

EDH_JL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
Vehicle Showcase
I've put another 500 miles on my '18 2 door since the new track bar and am still happy with how it drives. Much better than before, and I am able to enjoy the ride now. Tires are at 34 cold (per my tire gauge), gets up to 37 after driving for an hour at night or 39 during the day at 100* (per the TPMS).
Just left a message for my service advisor, seems to be back but I think it's the steering gear causing most of the issues. There is so much play that it just goes where it wants ping ponging against one of the gears. This is especially noticable under braking, if you have the wheel up against the left side of the dead spot and brake hard, it will dive right until it hits the opposite side of the dead spot. On some sweeping turns I can have the wheel pointed slightly right but be turning left (or vice versa).

Edit: have an appointment for Tuesday, advisor seemed to agree the amount of dead play (3-4") is abnormal.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Kolmain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! JLU Rubicon
Occupation
IT Systems Administrator
I took the TSB in to my Jeep dealer and they "applied it" without even looking at the vehicle. I'm going in tomorrow to have the track bar installed. When I asked them if they confirm that they see the issue I was talking about, he said "we noted your concerns", so they didn't even bother to look at it, only "apply the TSB because "your vehicle qualifies". I already have @JeepCares involved and got a call from FCA customer service starting to blame the lift. I have a 2" Mopar lift and all I have gotten so far is "we may have to remove the lift to resolve the issue". Its a MOPAR lift, and now they are telling me that its not covered under anything...

I am pushing for the updated Steering Box but the dealership told me the only way they would replace it is if mine failed. When I asked how they knew if it failed, they said it would have to be catastrophic in nature. I send that over to JeepCares and FCA too: I'm supposed to drive this crazy whale on the highway with my family in it until a catastrophic failure occurs because I can't get anyone with half a brain to actually LOOK at the issue instead of "yeah well its an offroad vehicle". This is my 3rd Jeep and I spent all last weekend driving new ones because my buddy wants one. This isn't how it's supposed to drive Jeep, wake up.

cosmokenney

First Name
Cosmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR (2-door)
Just left a message for my service advisor, seems to be back but I think it's the steering gear causing most of the issues. There is so much play that it just goes where it wants ping ponging against one of the gears. This is especially noticable under braking, if you have the wheel up against the left side of the dead spot and brake hard, it will dive right until it hits the opposite side of the dead spot. On some sweeping turns I can have the wheel pointed slightly right but be turning left (or vice versa).

Edit: have an appointment for Tuesday, advisor seemed to agree the amount of dead play (3-4") is abnormal.
Yes, this is my exact issue. I really don't think there would be any wondering if the steering gear had less slop.

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, ford transit 250, 2017 Wrangler Smoky Mountain Edition
Occupation
Mechanical designer /contractor and musician
It’s a big circus dealing with them and I wish all luck. Dealer tells me there’s no other fix, but yet we all know there is a new steering box out there that others have had success with.
Now I can’t say that’s the fix, and I know it’s a major change to do the switch out and no dealer or FCA wants to incur the costs until it’s a proven fix. So I get that. All my repairs so far have done is gotten me from white knuckling it all day to just mediocre at best but I still have to
make corrections the entire drive. Driving the freeway in construction areas with semis on both sides is like living in a Stephen King horror movie. Just don’t look forward to even driving the Jeep like I really expected I would. Not many adjustment options on a Sahara for alignment .

As I have posted before, if they would just put as much resources into finding a fix as they do marketing new jeeps we would be ahead. Fixing all the problems probably would cost less then a few TV commercials !
They have escalated my case to the next level and I will courteously try to work thru that level.
No huge expectation.
Wish I could find a real top notch front end person in town here that could find a fix.

Kolmain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! JLU Rubicon
Occupation
IT Systems Administrator
Had trackbar installed today, and the eliminated my "wandering" from change in acceleration, but the steering is still as awful as it was before. I'm awaiting Jeep to give my dealership clearance to work on my Jeep for whatever reason, as they still will not address concerns despite @JeepCares supposedly contacting them, and directing them to test drive the vehicle with me. We are in a "holding pattern" as we await instructions from Jeep's regional manager on my case apparently. It would be nice if I didnt have to spend 5 days at the dealership trying to get this safety concern fixed. Are you seeing these posts Jeep!? Wake up!

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Yes, this is my exact issue. I really don't think there would be any wondering if the steering gear had less slop.
I dont understand what ping ponging is and how it relates to gears.
I have never experienced anything like that, is it a sound you hear or feel ?

I can understand loose steering and wandering and guess loose steering is the wheel being unresponsive to the steering wheel (as opposed to tight). Wandering is what I have, where the car decides to move over to the left or right on it own accord. Kind of like the bad shopping cart at Walmart. Constant corrections to keep in the lane are needed.

Sponsored

cosmokenney

First Name
Cosmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR (2-door)
I dont understand what ping ponging is and how it relates to gears.
I have never experienced anything like that, is it a sound you hear or feel ?

I can understand loose steering and wandering and guess loose steering is the wheel being unresponsive to the steering wheel (as opposed to tight). Wandering is what I have, where the car decides to move over to the left or right on it own accord. Kind of like the bad shopping cart at Walmart. Constant corrections to keep in the lane are needed.
I believe it's called backlash with respect to gears. I.e. when there is too much free space in the teeth, one gear is free to move a small amount without affecting the other gear it is paired with. And this small amount of backlash results in a disturbing amount of motion at the wheels because of the leverage/moment arms or whatever the technical terms are.
Since the gear box is responsible for changing the direction of the wheels, any backlash results in a dead zone in the steering wheel. But it can work backwards, too. Where, because of the backlash, the wheels are able to turn a small amount in one direction or the other and the driver holding the wheel steady makes no difference.
So the wheels, and concurrently, the gears, ping-pong back-and-forth, thus causing the wander.

DHW

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney
This may or may not have been mentioned in one of the 10,000 steering discussions on the site, but has anyone noticed that the dead spot and excessive play in the steering is significantly worse in the heat as opposed to cooler weather? I live in Georgia where its currently low 60s high 70s early morning and near 100° every afternoon. This morning it was 68° and there was almost no play in the steering wheel, compared to yesterday afternoon when it was 98° and there was significant play in the steering.

The only steering mod I've made so far is the Teraflex 2.2 adjustable steering stabilizer, which seem to add “weight” to the steering, but did not affect the sloppiness, as I expected. I was planning on ordering the Teraflex adjustable track bar this week, but don't want to get shit from the dealer because I was planning on taking it in to get the new AE steering box installed, so I may wait on the track bar. With that said, I just wanted to check and see if anyone else had noticed the difference in steering with regard to the outside temperature and if anyone knew what that might mean?.

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I ran a log for about a week trying to find a common denominator and was totally unsuccessful.

I marked down the daily weather when I left in the AM and when I left my office in the afternoon. I noted wind, rain and
any other driving condition like average speed and how the roads were paved as well as any notable crowning of the roads. There was no
item that seemed to be predominant when I experienced the most wandering or steering issues.

jayvis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I'm not trying to stir the pot, but my question to all who are disgusted with the steering on their Wranglers and Jeep's response to your alleged issues is Why have you not gotten rid of your Wrangler? After owning 7 different Jeeps dating back to the CJ days, I've yet to have one that had perfectly tight or non-wandering steering. And after owning 30 different vehicles over the past 35 years, my conclusion is that when you have a supposed issue that bothers you as much as this, you'll probably never be satisfied with the vehicle no matter what "fix" the manufacturer comes up with. If you're truly concerned with the safety of you and your family, bite the bullet and get rid of the source of your angst. You're all just preaching to the choir.

kobejo34

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not trying to stir the pot, but my question to all who are disgusted with the steering on their Wranglers and Jeep's response to your alleged issues is Why have you not gotten rid of your Wrangler? After owning 7 different Jeeps dating back to the CJ days, I've yet to have one that had perfectly tight or non-wandering steering. And after owning 30 different vehicles over the past 35 years, my conclusion is that when you have a supposed issue that bothers you as much as this, you'll probably never be satisfied with the vehicle no matter what "fix" the manufacturer comes up with. If you're truly concerned with the safety of you and your family, bite the bullet and get rid of the source of your angst. You're all just preaching to the choir.
Mines up for sale and I'm taking a bath with all the add on but I will keep dropping the price until trade in value. I do agree 100% once you find something you cant stand you will fester on it and never like it and it makes everything else trivial that much more magnified. Kind of like never accept a counter offer at work.
Sponsored