Sponsored

2018 Jeep Wrangler Fire

MrMischief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
The battery pack, as I stated and now you have stated and as the video shows is near the rear diff, perhaps under the rear seat, yes, but it's not UNDER THE HOOD OF THE VEHICLE WHERE THE FIRE OBVIOUSLY STARTED.

Lipo/Lion packs, of which I have lots of experience, will spontaneously combust if punctured or drained below a certain voltage per cell, but the battery itself would be the source of ignition and the battery is located at the back of the vehicle, not under the hood...
I might be getting hung up on the term "back of the vehicle", to me that means at the rear axle and back. Since the 48v battery is between the axles on the driverside, to me that is middle of the vehicle. Either way it's probably irrelevant to my question, just trying to explain why I believe some may be jumping on and saying "no it's not at the back!"

How are you able to identify that the fire started inside of the engine compartment, under the hood? You state that it's obvious but... is it? I'm completely dumb on this subject, but it looks to me that the 48v battery burned up. How do we know that the fire moved to that battery, rather than the fire moving from that battery?
Sponsored

RLC2020

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU
How are you able to identify that the fire started inside of the engine compartment, under the hood? You state that it's obvious but... is it??
Does this picture make it a little more obvious where the fire was? Seems pretty clear to me that the fire was at the front of the vehicle and not the rear...
Jeep Wrangler JL 2018 Jeep Wrangler Fire 030458C0-32AC-438F-AD34-F3939F8C6F40

MrMischief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
Does this picture make it a little more obvious where the fire was? Seems pretty clear to me that the fire was at the front of the vehicle and not the rear...
030458C0-32AC-438F-AD34-F3939F8C6F40.jpeg
*sigh* What story does this picture tell? Looks to me like the fire was at the front and also the middle, almost exactly where the 48v battery is located. How can you tell if the front or the middle started first?
Jeep Wrangler JL 2018 Jeep Wrangler Fire 6AB15949-4BEB-4BE9-BF2F-B421203C8B84

I swear I'm not trying to be an asshole. I'm no fire investigator and never made a claim to be. But you seem so confident that it had to start under the hood and I want to know why you're that confident. I look at these photos and think "damn... could be either one" I don't even know where to begin to make an argument for one over the other.

RLC2020

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU
I swear I'm not trying to be an asshole. I'm no fire investigator and never made a claim to be. But you seem so confident that it had to start under the hood and I want to know why you're that confident. I look at these photos and think "damn... could be either one" I don't even know where to begin to make an argument for one over the other.
eh, still way less damage at the rear than the front. back tires aren't blown which means it didn't get too hot there. Pass side paint and plastics arent even melted or damaged. Drivers rear tire is right next to the battery (along with the gas tank) I would think if the fire started there you'd see most of the damage at the rear. The driveway is also sloped up at the back and down at the front, fire naturally would run upwards so if it started at the rear there is no way the rear (pass side) would be completely unscathed and yet the downhill side (the front) would be melted into the ground.

I'm no fire investigator either, I'm just using basic logic while assessing the photos.

MrMischief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
eh, still way less damage at the rear than the front. back tires aren't blown which means it didn't get too hot there. Pass side paint and plastics arent even melted or damaged. Drivers rear tire is right next to the battery (along with the gas tank) I would think if the fire started there you'd see most of the damage at the rear. The driveway is also sloped up at the back and down at the front, fire naturally would run upwards so if it started at the rear there is no way the rear (pass side) would be completely unscathed and yet the downhill side (the front) would be melted into the ground.

I'm no fire investigator either, I'm just using basic logic while assessing the photos.
Thanks! Makes sense. I'll have to go back and look exactly where that battery is, I thought it was more forward than what you're saying, truly middle of vehicle. The slope of the driveway bit passes the sniff test. Although... If you're smoking a cigar that starts to burn unevenly, putting the slow burning side down helps straighten it out. Works nearly every time, although if you have a poorly made cigar sometimes you're just screwed no matter what. Cigars, and how to burn them, are about the extent of my fire knowledge.

Frankly, if I was having to place money on this, my bet would be OP's wiring for their light bar or winch (sorry OP). I just trust Jeep's wiring over someone adding aftermarket parts. Maybe that's my own experience speaking though; I had a non-fused wire running straight from the battery through the firewall of my TJ for years. It never burnt down, which started to be one of those "surprises" in life. I'd come out from work, see it in the parking lot still sitting there, not on fire. Say to myself "I should add a fuse" but then forget by the time I got home. I like to think that it's still out there somewhere, a ticking time bomb that the new owner has no clue about.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Mattia60

First Name
Carmine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL
Thanks! Makes sense. I'll have to go back and look exactly where that battery is, I thought it was more forward than what you're saying, truly middle of vehicle. The slope of the driveway bit passes the sniff test. Although... If you're smoking a cigar that starts to burn unevenly, putting the slow burning side down helps straighten it out. Works nearly every time, although if you have a poorly made cigar sometimes you're just screwed no matter what. Cigars, and how to burn them, are about the extent of my fire knowledge.

Frankly, if I was having to place money on this, my bet would be OP's wiring for their light bar or winch (sorry OP). I just trust Jeep's wiring over someone adding aftermarket parts. Maybe that's my own experience speaking though; I had a non-fused wire running straight from the battery through the firewall of my TJ for years. It never burnt down, which started to be one of those "surprises" in life. I'd come out from work, see it in the parking lot still sitting there, not on fire. Say to myself "I should add a fuse" but then forget by the time I got home. I like to think that it's still out there somewhere, a ticking time bomb that the new owner has no clue about.
I understand your post about the wiring for winch or light bar but the light has been in use for 2 years and is fused bought the light kit wiring for the light. As for the winch a warn cut off switch kill the power from the solenoid to the winch with a dummy red light in my face if its on. I have been wiring snow plows for years and have many years of experience with car and truck wiring. Also used split loom on everything that would ever touch metal with wire ties. I would stand behind my wiring and not being a wise ass. If you look at the video the coolant lines and other lines run under the front drivers seat up tru the bottom of the drivers side engine bay to where it goes to the fusebox and battery. Not saying it was the 48 volt battery that burned but could have caused a short that ran up and under to the engine compartment . So far the 3rd party fire inspector can't find anything but he is still working on it so we will see hopefully soon.

OP
OP

Mattia60

First Name
Carmine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL
Look at this pic and tell me where the fire is burning ,left or right side. Now there is no aftermarket wiring on the drivers side of the jeep only what comes from the jeep itself 48 Volt wiring , Coolant lines 48 Volt, and fuel lines and exhaust and brake lines. second pic look at the color of the fire under the truck that's not full burning.
Jeep Wrangler JL 2018 Jeep Wrangler Fire IMG_0917

IMG_5360.jpeg

omega145

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Recon
Occupation
Engineer
Look at this pic and tell me where the fire is burning ,left or right side. Now there is no aftermarket wiring on the drivers side of the jeep only what comes from the jeep itself 48 Volt wiring , Coolant lines 48 Volt, and fuel lines and exhaust and brake lines. second pic look at the color of the fire under the truck that's not full burning
Any further updates on this fire and a full determination on the cause?

OP
OP

Mattia60

First Name
Carmine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL
Any further updates on this fire and a full determination on the cause?
Looks like the 48 volt battery caused a short and i had two bottles of hand sanitizer in the front door driver side panels. Still waiting for the full report.

Sponsored

Hootbro

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, 2022 JT RUBICON
So is Jeep stepping up to cover this or they making you take it to your insurance?

Hootbro

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, 2022 JT RUBICON
There, fixed that for you.
Yeah, kind of figured it would be that.

I have yet to see a car company step up and cover a vehicle fire when all things point to a manufacturing defect for cause. In theory, it should be a warranty coverage but they have you by the balls and push back to force you to either litigate it or in most case and what they want, is for you to just give and force you to make an insurance claim on your dime.

OP
OP

Mattia60

First Name
Carmine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL
So is Jeep stepping up to cover this or they making you take it to your insurance?
Insurance covered all and will now go after Jeep but I was contacted by jeep last week for information.

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)
2.0 turbo
Not sure if this was already suggested and I'm not exactly sure of the 2.0T engine layout, but a few years ago I had my engine bay catch on fire after some sneaky squirrels (or some other pesky rodent) built a nest in/on the heatshield above the turbocharger out of some very dry grass. Thankfully, I noticed a bit of smoke coming from the vented hood and was able to quickly grab an extinguisher (it was in flames at that point). Otherwise, I would've just walked away and not known til it was too late.

No idea if that could've been the case with yours, but turbos get dang hot.. almost 2,000°F
Sponsored