Sponsored

2018 Wrangler Caught Fire!!

Dave91gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara, 1998 TJ Sahara 4” Zone lift
Sharing a similar case that a coworker just went through. I saw she was driving a JLU and went to congratulate her. Needless to say, the conversation went a different direction.
Turns out, the JL was a loaner from her dealer as an investigation was underway due to a fire in her Jeep Renegade.
Short version: she bought the Renegade new a couple years ago. Since new, she had strange electrical glitches. Headlights start flashing, ghost tire pressure alarms, stereo faults, rear hatch ajar alarms forcing the parking break on, etc. All documented. Dealer wasn’t sure what the issue was as they couldn’t reproduce it.
She was driving on the interstate with her 18 month old grandchild in the back and smoke started coming from HVAC vents. She pulled over and pulled her grand baby from her car seat. Called 911. By the time the fire truck arrived, the interior was fully burning.
She called insurance with the details. They advised her to go to the dealer and they would work with FCA. The dealer gave her the Wrangler free until the investigation was over. That was two weeks ago.
The insurance investigation concluded the fire started behind the dash and FCA is also investigating.
She wasn’t in a good mood to talk about her Jeep experience. All of this story came after another coworker was telling me his story of his wife’s JLU meeting for buyback due to death wobble and other continuous trips to the dealer.
Was NOT a positive Jeep day for me.
Sponsored

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Sharing a similar case that a coworker just went through. I saw she was driving a JLU and went to congratulate her. Needless to say, the conversation went a different direction.
Turns out, the JL was a loaner from her dealer as an investigation was underway due to a fire in her Jeep Renegade.
Short version: she bought the Renegade new a couple years ago. Since new, she had strange electrical glitches. Headlights start flashing, ghost tire pressure alarms, stereo faults, rear hatch ajar alarms forcing the parking break on, etc. All documented. Dealer wasn’t sure what the issue was as they couldn’t reproduce it.
She was driving on the interstate with her 18 month old grandchild in the back and smoke started coming from HVAC vents. She pulled over and pulled her grand baby from her car seat. Called 911. By the time the fire truck arrived, the interior was fully burning.
She called insurance with the details. They advised her to go to the dealer and they would work with FCA. The dealer gave her the Wrangler free until the investigation was over. That was two weeks ago.
The insurance investigation concluded the fire started behind the dash and FCA is also investigating.
She wasn’t in a good mood to talk about her Jeep experience. All of this story came after another coworker was telling me his story of his wife’s JLU meeting for buyback due to death wobble and other continuous trips to the dealer.
Was NOT a positive Jeep day for me.
Hmm this is interesting 'cause my mom has an '18 Cherokee that keeps doing odd tire pressure alarms, twice now has refused to move presumably due to BSM but yesterday was in her driveway with nothing near the vehicle, and the dash display is changing itself as far as layout.

Just weird

Dave91gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara, 1998 TJ Sahara 4” Zone lift
Hmm this is interesting 'cause my mom has an '18 Cherokee that keeps doing odd tire pressure alarms, twice now has refused to move presumably due to BSM but yesterday was in her driveway with nothing near the vehicle, and the dash display is changing itself as far as layout.

Just weird
Definitely not normal. I’d recommend she is persistent with getting it documented and repaired.

Hootbro

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, 2022 JT RUBICON
If you're making payments, you must have full insurance coverage.

File the claim with you auto insurance provider, and for goodness sake call the lender and inform them of this unfortunate situation so you don't have to make payments on a totalled vehicle. That a waste of your hard earned income.

Under no circumstances is Jeep, or anyone associated with Jeep, going to ever discuss this with you. Ever. I guarantee it.

Your expectation that they will speak to you is completely unreasonable.

Jeep is VERY interested in what happened to your vehicle, but you will never ever personally know it. You'll just have to let that go. Again, it's an unreasonable expectation on your part.

Ideally, you will be made whole, but I suspect your insurance is indicating they are not doing that (likely because of your Insurance Company Choice and/or coverage choices), which is why I suspect you are knocking on Jeep's door.

Insurance is a heavily regulated product. As such, you'll get what you pay for.

In the end, your insurance company will determine fault, not you. You are so very fortunate that no one was hurt or killed, so I hope you can move forward from this.

I've read so many posts on here about Jeep problems. I've been fortunate to have not had any.

But if my Jeep caught fire, with me, or my family in it, I'm pretty sure my replacement vehicle would be something else.
OP is still on the hook to make payments to the lender until the insurance claim is settled with the insurance company cutting the check to the lender for the remaining balance owed and any positive equity going to the OP in another check. That is assuming no gap in market value.
Sponsored