2018 Wrangler Caught Fire!!

Graham1298

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
First off, I’m glad everyone is okay. It is an insurance issue. Insurance plus GAP would put you in a new vehicle. On the front end you’re going to eat any down payment and the value of personal affects but that will get sorted out as your insurance company moves through the investigation process. Also, one of the other posts mentioned the insurance co asking why you waited to report. The longer you wait the worse it looks on you. I chipped my windshield last week and was on the phone with the insurance co after about 20 minutes. We carry insurance for this reason. It protects the insurance company BUT more importantly it protects you! If you haven’t already called them you should immediately. Also, reach out to the financing bank as many have programs where you can pay an admin fee and you can miss the payment. Most only let you do this one time or once per year but that may help ease your financial pain. As long as everything is in order and in effect when the incident happened you should not have a problem with the insurance. That’s what we pay them for. Once again, glad everyone is okay and I’m sorry you are having to go through this.
Sponsored

anotherWS6

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jebadiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited
Sounds like some BS. Regardless, OP is gone.

Upnarms

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2003 TJ X
If you read the OPs posts, the story shifts as you go to "answer" the skeptics. That and lack of photos (its your wife's dream car and no pics of it new? Only ONE pic of a burned out jeep?) the focus in the OPs all directed at chrysler, clearly a smear attempt (though they may deserve it from time to time).

Fake news.

If it's real, it's super fishy. It most likely isn't and at the very least the OP isn't giving the whole story.

I saw a jk rubicon on fire once and really believe it cause the coyote works guy had it all on video live. It was most likely from brush under the exhaust.

Now THIS story COULD have happened , it just probably DIDNT or at least in the version we were given.

cosmokenney

First Name
Cosmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR (2-door)
I appreciate all of the replies that gave advice. Unfortunately, I am not trolling and I am not trying to bash Wranglers. We were thrilled to have one. I did get a Jeep Cares rep to respond and was able to PM them.

A few things that may have been missed based on responses.........

- We did notify insurance right away when the incident happened

- Insurance initially asked that we work with FCA. Now after seeing the responses on this forum I understand that was a mistake, and I have moved forward with my claim.

- I was not under the illusion that FCA would simply hand over a new Jeep, that was not the point of my post. I was/am simply upset with the complete lack of any help from the company. I get the litigation standpoint and their need to cover themselves. I just felt when a $40k vehicle has that happen in the first month of ownership, maybe they would communicate with us a bit to keep us in the loop. Apparently that was my mistake. I can only assume most on this forum would like some communication from Jeep in the same circumstance?

- Hopefully everything will get worked out and we can get back into a Wrangler!
You can try your state Attorney General's office. They have an online form to fill out to file a complaint against FCA here: https://secure.ag.state.mi.us/complaints/consumer.aspx

I've used the same service at the California Attorney General's office several times. All it took was one call from the AG to the company named in my complaints. Each time that happened I was immediately contacted by a company rep and was offered a favorable resolution.

cosmokenney

First Name
Cosmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR (2-door)
I appreciate all of the replies that gave advice. Unfortunately, I am not trolling and I am not trying to bash Wranglers. We were thrilled to have one. I did get a Jeep Cares rep to respond and was able to PM them.

A few things that may have been missed based on responses.........

- We did notify insurance right away when the incident happened

- Insurance initially asked that we work with FCA. Now after seeing the responses on this forum I understand that was a mistake, and I have moved forward with my claim.

- I was not under the illusion that FCA would simply hand over a new Jeep, that was not the point of my post. I was/am simply upset with the complete lack of any help from the company. I get the litigation standpoint and their need to cover themselves. I just felt when a $40k vehicle has that happen in the first month of ownership, maybe they would communicate with us a bit to keep us in the loop. Apparently that was my mistake. I can only assume most on this forum would like some communication from Jeep in the same circumstance?

- Hopefully everything will get worked out and we can get back into a Wrangler!
By the way, had you done any mods to the vehicle?

Sponsored

StrikeZ

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
If you read the OPs posts, the story shifts as you go to "answer" the skeptics. That and lack of photos (its your wife's dream car and no pics of it new? Only ONE pic of a burned out jeep?) the focus in the OPs all directed at chrysler, clearly a smear attempt (though they may deserve it from time to time).

Fake news.

If it's real, it's super fishy. It most likely isn't and at the very least the OP isn't giving the whole story.

I saw a jk rubicon on fire once and really believe it cause the coyote works guy had it all on video live. It was most likely from brush under the exhaust.

Now THIS story COULD have happened , it just probably DIDNT or at least in the version we were given.
I agree. I can’t imagine pursuing a case with FCA for weeks and not calling your insurance.

Thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 4xe, 21 Supra 3.0, 21 Pacifica Hybrid
Sounds like some BS. Regardless, OP is gone.
Well I did tell him to stop posting everything on an internet forum or social media if he has the chance of suing. I agree the whole things seems odd but he did state that he did contact his insurance company and they told him to contact FCA which seem all kinda wrong.

smithrd65

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited JL. BMW Z4 35is, Tesla Model X90D, Chevy 2500 LTZ
Gap insurance is only 350$ insure you don't lose your but on any vehicle. Some say don't purchase it but it's a small investment and a price of mind.

Jmonroe

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR and a '99 Camaro SS convertible I bought new
Occupation
Retired
After 30 plus years working for an auto claim department, hell yes, let your insurance company handle it. As new as it was they'll no doubt give you the money to buy a new replacement, of course less any deductible. A complete burn will be easy, my guess settled in days. They'll inspect the burnt hulk, take a copy of your window sticker or purchase agreement, done. They'll no doubt investigate and if they feel Jeep is culpable they'll go to them seeking reimbursement, including your deductible.

Jeep will require some kind of engineering review before they can officially commit to anything. While it sounds likely they'll be on the hook as incredible as it may sound, people have been known to do stupid things, of course not Jeep people, but people... ;)

It'll all work out. Statistically this is rare, but there is a reason. Vehicles don't just spontaneously cumbust for no reason. Trust me, Jeep wants to know what that reason is too.

Hopefully this gives you some perspective and your insurance company can give you some satisfaction.

2Wheel-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD, 1986 Suzuki Samurai, 1975 Datsun 620
After 30 plus years working for an auto claim department, hell yes, let your insurance company handle it. As new as it was they'll no doubt give you the money to buy a new replacement, of course less any deductible. A complete burn will be easy, my guess settled in days. They'll inspect the burnt hulk, take a copy of your window sticker or purchase agreement, done. They'll no doubt investigate and if they feel Jeep is culpable they'll go to them seeking reimbursement, including your deductible.

Jeep will require some kind of engineering review before they can officially commit to anything. While it sounds likely they'll be on the hook as incredible as it may sound, people have been known to do stupid things, of course not Jeep people, but people... ;)

It'll all work out. Statistically this is rare, but there is a reason. Vehicles don't just spontaneously cumbust for no reason. Trust me, Jeep wants to know what that reason is too.

Hopefully this gives you some perspective and your insurance company can give you some satisfaction.
I didn't read the whole thread, but everything that needs to be known and done was posted right here.

Sponsored

Rubidozer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2018 Jeep JLUS
Well, this is not how I wanted to post on my first Wrangler forum, but Chrysler and Jeep have left me no choice. I purchased a NEW 2018 JL Unlimited about 6 weeks ago and was enjoying it. It had been my wife's dream vehicle and she had waited 18 years to finally get a new Wrangler. After 1 month of use (~1500 miles) the Jeep had some sort of explosion underneath and caught fire while driving (luckily everyone was safe). It was completely burned out and totaled after being engulfed by the fire. As much as I wish that the worst part of the story was the fire, unfortunately Jeep's customer service and lack of concern for us over the last 3 WEEKS has trumped it. The fire happened on August 24th and as of the time of this post on September 9th I have not had a single Jeep or Chrysler employee reach out to me to give any information regarding the case, a replacement, or letting us know anything. We have been left with no vehicle, given no loaner or rental, received ZERO communication from anyone at Jeep to help us through this tough time (again, 3 WEEKS AFTER THE FIRE). My wife's dream car has turned into a nightmare situation. It's awesome to know that after spending $40,000 on a new Wrangler and having it catch fire a month later, Jeep simply leaves you in the dust. Looks like I am on the hook for another payment this week for a burned out corpse of a Wrangler that is sitting at a tow yard. Communication any time would be nice. Maybe someone monitoring this forum can help me!?!?
Don’t wait for anything. Get a lawyer!

rayvonp

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler 4xe, 2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Truck Driver
I’m happy that your family is safe, but to think that anyone from FCA jeep is going to do anything about replacing the vehicle is just absurd, unfortunately your Jeep burnt to a point that they cannot go through it to even find the cause of the problem and determine what it was and warranty your first thought should’ve been I need to get in contact with my insurance company and file a claim insurance company go after jeep for any kind of refunds on the vehicle. And again unfortunately your jeep but warranty only applies to things that can be diagnosed and fixed

Moonlight_Ken

First Name
KEN
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL WRANGER UNLIMITED
If you have decent insurance they will pay you for the full value. I totaled a '16 Tacoma last December and USAA paid full value +10% ....

The only way Jeep will pay out is if the insurance company sues them. Yes, there is a warranty but warranties don't cover this. As much as you don't want to hear this there is another aspect of their silence... LAWYERS!

Really really glad to hear your all fine...

Jmonroe

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR and a '99 Camaro SS convertible I bought new
Occupation
Retired
[QUO
TE="Rubidozer, post: 846567, member: 25501"]Don’t wait for anything. Get a lawyer![/QUOTE]

Lawyers don't work for free. Their bill is your responsibility and does not add anything to anyone else's liability.

There's unlikely to be any dispute as to the value of your claim and that won't change with a lawyer joining the party. Let your insurance company handle it.

Have I ever steered you wrong? ;)
Sponsored