Sponsored

2018 Jeep Rubicon Issue after issue

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord coupe, V6 6-speed manual; ordered 2018 JL Sport 6MT with A/C and anti-spin. D status.
I hear the replacement cost for that secondary battery is upwards of $700, btw.
seriously?

that's crazy.

the aftermarket will take care of that if it remains that way, I assume.
Sponsored

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase

Geronimo

First Name
Boltz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU , 2018 JLUR, 2023 JLR all DDs
seriously?

that's crazy.

the aftermarket will take care of that if it remains that way, I assume.
I wonder why a large deep cycle like an Optima or Odyssey wouldn't have worked rather than a secondary. It sure works fine on our 2 JKs. Also I would have to figure the Warranty would certainly have to cover this strange set-up. Always have to wonder how wide spread something like this has had issues, as in, how many have problems out of 100, 000 sold

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord coupe, V6 6-speed manual; ordered 2018 JL Sport 6MT with A/C and anti-spin. D status.
I wonder why a large deep cycle like an Optima or Odyssey wouldn't have worked rather than a secondary. It sure works fine on our 2 JKs. Also I would have to figure the Warranty would certainly have to cover this strange set-up. Always have to wonder how wide spread something like this has had issues, as in, how many have problems out of 100, 000 sold
I definitely would've preferred a lowest-complication setup myself. ESS not even being present in the base model (or optional) would've been wonderful. I'm already grabbing a manual Sport, and I'm gonna try to get in on the tail end of 2018 orders, as I do not want BSG. Although, maybe BSG won't be added to the manuals.

The enemy to reliability is complexity.

Geronimo

First Name
Boltz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU , 2018 JLUR, 2023 JLR all DDs
My sentiments exactly. The need to meet the comfort desires of the masses, coupled with all the governmental regs has really made these a difficult platform for the average mechanic to be independent (by design). A real marvel in terms of performance yet at the same time it defeats its own purpose.

We shall see. We bought one after our 2015 JKUR was trashed in an accident or we would have driven it for many many more years. Just like our 2013.

Sponsored

Rusty Teeth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Sahara Altitude
Occupation
Electronics Tech/ Fabricator/ 5G Fiber Optic Cellular Tech
Hi guys,

First off I would like to introduce myself. Ive been a long time Jeep Wrangler lover, it all started in 2005. I purchased a 2005 and then a 2006 Jeep Wrangler. I kept them for quite some time. When I saw pictures of the JL rubicon, I knew I had to get one asap! I located a Jeep Rubicon loaded(55k) and drove 300 miles each way to pick it up with such excitement. Its been short lived :/. I drove the car for the first 600-700 miles with the screen re-booting itself from time to time. I didnt think much of it. Moving forward to 900 miles and 2 days before a trip which I was dying to take to Rubicon too(snow and etc) the cars Navi screen goes completely blank after that. I take the car in and they cant get it to work insisting it just needs a system update. Keep in mind I dont have navi,bluetooth,radio, backup camera and cant even control my climate. The service advisor tells me it can take up to 30 days to get a new screen which they have ordered. I take the car back in hopes of it coming sooner. The last 4 days have been very interesting with the car. I woke up with the car dead one day, I called roadside and they came and jumped it. The same day the car wasn't reading the key, it kept saying key fob not detected. I had to literally keep trying for 40 times. The next day again i wake up to the battery dead again, except this time the jumper took 10 mins to start the car(roadside again). The car was stuck on "ON" position and wouldn't even turn the engine on for some reason. Every light on the dash was on when i turned the car on and wouldn't go away even after driving it and turning it off and on. Today again I woke up to the car being dead again and the key not being recognized at all until it randomly did. Ive never experienced issues like this with any car Ive owned. Im terrified this car has electrical issues. Ill be taking the car in tomorrow, most likely leaving it and getting a loaner until screen is here too.

Issues;
1. Info-screen fried(new one on order, up to 30 days or more for a new one). No Navi, radio,bluetooth,backup camera, climate/
2. Battery keeps dying
3. All lights on
4. Key not being recognized

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
I've done some research and looks like the secondary battery might be the issue...it is responsible for starting the engine.boosting the jeep on the main battery is useless as it is for accesories only....dealer mechanics dont even know there is 2 bateries
How do you know there aren't three batteries ?

GARRIGA

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
If you are thinking it may be a candidate for lemon law then try to put as few miles as possible on it because I have heard of dealers charging for every mile put on it before you can get a new one. Messed up... I know...
In Florida, you divide the MSRP by 120k to get a per mile charge. However, miles added by the dealer are discounted. Better than nothing. Why? Because you either get your full refund plus retail on your trade (regardless what you actually got on it) or replacement vehicle including 10% markup on your MSRP to help ease the change. All buying new cars should make sure their dealer hands them their state lemon law booklet or demand it. Worse case, go online. It's there. Id consider getting well versed with it before that first dealer visit. Don't do it right and it will cost you more trips to let them fix it. Manufacturer will prey on the uninformed and go as far as misleading them. Happened to me. However, I was well versed and it didn't affect me. Never be the victim. always be well informed. :)

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Network Architect & Engineer
My sentiments exactly. The need to meet the comfort desires of the masses, coupled with all the governmental regs has really made these a difficult platform for the average mechanic to be independent (by design). A real marvel in terms of performance yet at the same time it defeats its own purpose.

We shall see. We bought one after our 2015 JKUR was trashed in an accident or we would have driven it for many many more years. Just like our 2013.
My colleague bought a new Jeep GC Trailhawk two days ago. To his nice surprise, it wasn't equipped with ESS. But my wife's GC Altitude, bought in February has it. But it wsorks perfectly with no issues unlike my JL.

Sponsored

Capt-Zoom

First Name
Capt-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL sport s, 4door. 1999 TJ Sport
See my post on the refund i got for my 5 inch radio woes. If you want my contact pm me.

DirtyTj

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On its way 2018 JLUR in granite crystal with most everything but smokers group and dual top.2003 Sahara ARB air lockers front and rear, G2 Dana 60 in the rear, Dana 30 with RCV shafts Upfront 4.88 gearing.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I hear the replacement cost for that secondary battery is upwards of $700, btw.
Surly that can’t be true, how would it be that a small battery that is half the size of the main battery would be that costly
Sponsored