2018 Jeep Sahara JLU Battery Issue

Lauren3432

First Name
Lauren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Sahara Unlimited
I have a 2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JLU with 30,000 miles on it. The other day, I went to get in it, and it wouldn’t start. Figured maybe I left a light on or something, had my sister jump me, and it started immediately. Drove it for 20 minutes, no issues. Parked it for the night, and the next day it wouldn’t start again. Jumped it again, it started running.

I took it to the auto parts store and they said the battery was totally fine after they tested it, and that it just needed to charge back up. I let it run for a half hour. The battery voltage on my dash showed 14.3 when it was running and 12 when the engine was off.

Today, I went to start it and though it did start, it seemed like it was having to work a little harder than usual. I do get a message on the dash that says AUX is unavailable because battery is charging, but I don’t know if that is related to this issue. Again it’s about 14.2 when running and 12 when off. Does anyone have a clue what this issue could be? There is no corrosion that I can see on any cables or the battery itself.
Sponsored

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
A 12V Battery is pretty low at 12.0V. 100% charge should be 12.6V.

If you have ESS, you have a secondary battery underneath the main one. If either is bad or discharged it can pull down the other.

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
I have a 2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JLU with 30,000 miles on it. The other day, I went to get in it, and it wouldn’t start. Figured maybe I left a light on or something, had my sister jump me, and it started immediately. Drove it for 20 minutes, no issues. Parked it for the night, and the next day it wouldn’t start again. Jumped it again, it started running.

I took it to the auto parts store and they said the battery was totally fine after they tested it, and that it just needed to charge back up. I let it run for a half hour. The battery voltage on my dash showed 14.3 when it was running and 12 when the engine was off.

Today, I went to start it and though it did start, it seemed like it was having to work a little harder than usual. I do get a message on the dash that says AUX is unavailable because battery is charging, but I don’t know if that is related to this issue. Again it’s about 14.2 when running and 12 when off. Does anyone have a clue what this issue could be? There is no corrosion that I can see on any cables or the battery itself.
Yup, your batteries are dying and at a very typical age. All the expected symptoms. Replace both your Main and Aux batteries and everything will be A-OK. Don't replace just one because when one goes it will take out the other.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Replace both batteries. Don't skimp and do one or you'll end up doing 3.
Sponsored