Command Line RC

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Wrangler Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
Check out what happen yesterday. This happen with the stock XM Radio playing as well.
Sponsored

Tunesoul

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Jeep Wrangler Sport, 2012 Subaru Outback, 2018 Ocean Blue JLUR
Occupation
Owner of a Mobile Auto Paint Touch Up Co.
Uh oh... Sounds like your electrical system is possessed! :devil:Good luck getting it fixed ASAP!

redracer

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 4xe Rubicon
@1cleanrubicon all of your battery, lights, key issues could be secondary to your radio dying. I deal with electronics a lot, and from simple troubleshooting if all of this started after your screen died, I'd say its connected. Your uconnect system is still powered even tho the screen is off and is probably stuck in some mode where it is drawing enough power to kill your battery overnight. Killing the batteries (remember, there are two) has not been tested yet on our jeeps, and the secondary issues that crop up from that could easily explain why the key won't work for a while (security module has to initialize, might be sensitive to low voltage levels) and dash lights issues. I'd either pull the fuse for the radio or just have your dealer unplug the uconnect system while you wait for a screen and see if that solves it.

Also, after the battery is fully drained, the alternator may not be able to fully charge it in one day. I always find it best to put the battery on a charger for overnight to bring it all the way back up to full. This will help keep the battery from dying again.

Seansun01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited JL, build date 12/12/17; 2015 Harley-Davidson Heritage Classic Softail
Check out what happen yesterday. This happen with the stock XM Radio playing as well.
I love that you can bring a video of your Jeep doing something it shouldn't to the service department and they will still tell you "we couldn't fix the problem because we couldn't reproduce it".

texmln

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Toyota Tundra
The old rule still applies. Never buy the first year of a new vehicle. It takes at least one model year to work out the kinks in design, production and real world use. However, I appreciate those of you who don't follow the rule for dealing with the pain so I won't have to when I buy the 2019 or later!

Sponsored

BradyAntebellum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜18 JLUR- Black
The old rule still applies. Never buy the first year of a new vehicle. It takes at least one model year to work out the kinks in design, production and real world use. However, I appreciate those of you who don't follow the rule for dealing with the pain so I won't have to when I buy the 2019 or later!
First post troll you are. lol

Seansun01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited JL, build date 12/12/17; 2015 Harley-Davidson Heritage Classic Softail
We 2018 owners are taking one for the team - not need to hate.

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord coupe, V6 6-speed manual; ordered 2018 JL Sport 6MT with A/C and anti-spin. D status.

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord coupe, V6 6-speed manual; ordered 2018 JL Sport 6MT with A/C and anti-spin. D status.
Statistically that still holds true, but only in the sense that first year buyers are *more likley* have problems--not guaranteed. I'd hold off til 2019, but I have no interest in the complication of BSG in my "rugged, simple" Jeep Wrangler.

My backup buy is a third gen Tacoma, and a 2018 ought to fare better than a 2016. But it's not guaranteed to be problem free because "they had time to work out the kinks". Hell, the 2017 Wrangler was a dinosaur, super late into the generation, and still had "kinks" and issues they never worked out... part of that being owned by all-around shitty company FCA!

Sponsored

BaldEagle

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Black Jeep Wrangler Rubicon jl
Sorry to hear that.

I'm anxiously awaiting the arrival of my JLUR so I can only imagine how frustrating it'd be if my new Rubicon started to act up like this within the first few weeks of ownership.

Here's to hoping that the new screen arrives earlier than expected and fixes all your problems!
It sounds like you got unlucky it happens from time to time I wound be upset

BaldEagle

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Black Jeep Wrangler Rubicon jl
Statistically that still holds true, but only in the sense that first year buyers are *more likley* have problems--not guaranteed. I'd hold off til 2019, but I have no interest in the complication of BSG in my "rugged, simple" Jeep Wrangler.

My backup buy is a third gen Tacoma, and a 2018 ought to fare better than a 2016. But it's not guaranteed to be problem free because "they had time to work out the kinks". Hell, the 2017 Wrangler was a dinosaur, super late into the generation, and still had "kinks" and issues they never worked out... part of that being owned by all-around shitty company FCA!
Has nothing to do with it whether itā€™s 2019 or now in 2020 they will have problems and recalls part of tve deal

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
The old rule still applies. Never buy the first year of a new vehicle. It takes at least one model year to work out the kinks in design, production and real world use.
And how many years does it take FCA? Iā€™m guessing until the current gen production ends. So 7-10 years? If the problems arenā€™t fixed, then no big deal.

Nash

First Name
Nash
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep jk rubicon
I've done some research and looks like the secondary battery might be the issue...it is responsible for starting the engine.boosting the jeep on the main battery is useless as it is for accesories only....dealer mechanics dont even know there is 2 bateries

offcamber

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2014 Grand Cherokee Limited Ecodiesel
I've done some research and looks like the secondary battery might be the issue...it is responsible for starting the engine.boosting the jeep on the main battery is useless as it is for accesories only....dealer mechanics dont even know there is 2 bateries
I hear the replacement cost for that secondary battery is upwards of $700, btw.
Sponsored