Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Pretty Jeep, that set up will not make the rubicon nor dusy, those kayaks will be ripped off on the first set of trees. 2 door or 4 door.

Again, understanding the trails of interest is super important, I completely agree for street and dirt road use, your right. Hard trails and long trips, not so much.

not trying argue, just making sure the original poster gets a more hard core wheelin perspective.

FYI I have 1973 check 2 door too, I get it.
Absolutely. It is true. I would personally never do the Rubicon trail carrying Kayaks. Last year when I went to the sierras I left them at the camp with all gear and took the jeep wheeling. Not sure how many people go on the rubicon carrying kayaks. And fyi Ive done some gnarly stuff with my kayak on the rack with no issues. But of course the 4 door is much more convenient to carry gear.
Sponsored

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
LOL, ok but Jeep website base MSRP for 2dr Sport S is 33,050 and 4dr Sport S is 36,550. So congrats on passing up the better deal if you could have got a 4dr Sport S for same price as your 2 dr Sport S.

Like I told OP, get what you like. That's all that matters. My point is the 2dr doesn't really offer any off road advantage. Other than price and looks if you like the look. I don't but that doesn't matter. The turn radius is only slightly smaller if you wheel tight trails. Longer wheelbase is better for actually climbing stuff.
Then turn radius is very noticeable. And the breakover angle is considerably better. But I agree it is no biggie you can always lift the jeeop and put bigger tires. But you really can get away with a lot more on a stock 2dr vs stock 4dr. Makes a real difference.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Or buy the 4dr, have the extra room and still buy the camper lol!
Lol true. I am just trying to make the point that you can make a 2 door work if you wanted to. You do save some money that you can put towards the camper. But you also have to watch size and weight of camper and not so much with the 4 door. 4 door is a lot more convenient and I always say. Buy the 2 door only if you really want it. Dealing with the 4 door breakover angle is far less problematic than dealing with the space issues of the 2 door. But it is possible to make it work with a 2 door is all.

LastFrontier1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLR Sarge Green
Then turn radius is very noticeable. And the breakover angle is considerably better. But I agree it is no biggie you can always lift the jeeop and put bigger tires. But you really can get away with a lot more on a stock 2dr vs stock 4dr. Makes a real difference.
I find the very tight turning radius really nice when driving the shelf roads and mountain trails here here in Colorado and for parking at hiking trailheads that can get crowded it is easier to find a spot. The price difference was not a factor whatsoever. If the 4 door had the same wheelbase as my Isuzu Trooper I might have bought one. The 2dr is really fun to drive and I do not need more room. If I go camping I take my backpacking stuff.

chewieHVT

First Name
MV
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL Sport S
I've had a CJ7, YJ, JK, and now JL...all two doors. I'm sure there are some advantages to a 4 door, but I just don't have a need for the extra doors or back seat space.
Jeep Wrangler JL 2 door ver. 4 door IMG_4261

Sponsored

emptyminded42

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hellayella JLU Sport S 6MT, Forester XT
Occupation
Engineer
Who would think a 4 would have more then the V6, even at low RPM.
Looking to do my first test drive tomorrow, will compare the 4 and 6.
It's pretty amazing how well modern twin-entry turbocharged and direct-injected 4-cylinders drive. Gone is (most) of the annoying turbo lag from the 90's and 00's and reliability is way, way up.

The V6 Pentastar is not a typical truck engine like the venerable AMC 4.0 I6 - it's a car engine and performs well when rev'd up. It really doesn't have great torque IMHO but I get around that by shifting the gears myself. I like it, though, and it delivers acceptable performance and excellent fuel economy. It also sounds great. I haven't heard the 2.0T personally but I bet it's like every other inline 4 cylinder - nothing exciting.

Black Jeep Convertible

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Sport S 2.0T eTorque
Occupation
Amazon Influencer 😂
Even if I only have rear passengers once a year, I still hate getting out to let people in. Had 2 doors for so many years, never again. Open your own damn door

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Two things I must admit I'm jealous of regarding the 4 dr, a real gas tank and more aftermarket support. But otherwise, too happy!

Jeep4Win

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
2 doors for me all the way! Grew up around Jeeps and that’s what is implanted in my brain. I also love how it feels driving it. After test driving a 4 door the other day I totally understand the flip side of the coin and why others purchase those instead. Either way you go 2 or 4 it’s still a Jeep!

Sponsored

Oldbear

First Name
Dwayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel; 20 JL Sport S 2 door
LOL, ok but Jeep website base MSRP for 2dr Sport S is 33,050 and 4dr Sport S is 36,550. So congrats on passing up the better deal if you could have got a 4dr Sport S for same price as your 2 dr Sport S.

Like I told OP, get what you like. That's all that matters. My point is the 2dr doesn't really offer any off road advantage. Other than price and looks if you like the look. I don't but that doesn't matter. The turn radius is only slightly smaller if you wheel tight trails. Longer wheelbase is better for actually climbing stuff.
Mine was by no means a “base”, and yes I could have got a 4 door for the same (or less) $$.. I have a 4dr Ram pickup, wife has a 4dr Touareg. And I had zero desire for a 4 dr Jeep thank you very much. An individual should get what THEY want, not what the “kool kids” are driving. If a 4 dr floats your boat that’s fine, but the 2 dr is by no means a lesser machine ( unless of course you are adverse to great maneuverability). I enjoy mine and plan on keeping it a long time. My you be as content with yours.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Even if I only have rear passengers once a year, I still hate getting out to let people in. Had 2 doors for so many years, never again. Open your own damn door
Tell them to open the passenger door themselves and tilt the seat up :)
And chip in for gas!

imperial4ever

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0 Moss Green
Extreme Terrain has a good YouTube video showing a JKU vs JK going over the same rocks in several cases. Less scraping in the 2 door. I would think if you plan to do aggressive trails you will want to armour up!
Two door Jeep Wrangler equals chick magnet four-door Jeep Wrangler equals dad mobile

MEHillwalker80

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S JL 2 DR 1999 Chevy Suburban K1500
I had a woman comment on my Shiny Black 2dr the other day in a grocery store parking lot and I asked her why. She told me that it indicates that I may be single with no kids. I responded with, "wow, you're right, I am".

MtCamper

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlUR White Rubi, 2018 GMC 3500 Duramax,
Occupation
Retired Snowbird
I wheel with mostly 2 doors. They can go places without scraping that I scrape on. I went with 35s and a 2" lift and now can go over the same obstacles they can. Their tighter turn radius is sometimes an advantage. My extra wheelbase is a plus on some of the sidehill dips. They have to remove their back seat to carry the same stuff I do. 2 doors are much harder to find with the options you want. I'm not sure if resale is better or worse or if that's something you care about.
Sponsored