2 Door Love

VWillys

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Wrangler Willys - Bright White
Ya'll killing me with these photos. The practical grey matter says get the four door, but the other side is yelling get the 2 door. Already got a 2-door TJ - so much fun.
See my Post #6

Boatbuilder88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
F-16 Engineer (retired)
Has anyone taken a long road trip in their 2-door? Any insights and helpful hints would be appreciated.

My wife and I will be driving down to Key West from NJ, stopping at a few national parks along the way. Round trip will be about 3000 miles.

Sparty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(Sold) 04 TJ, 21 JTR, 21 JLR
Has anyone taken a long road trip in their 2-door? Any insights and helpful hints would be appreciated.

My wife and I will be driving down to Key West from NJ, stopping at a few national parks along the way. Round trip will be about 3000 miles.
Did that in my TJ from Michigan w/ a soft top and soft doors. Had to wear ear plugs on the way down, but totally worth it to drop the top and put the doors in the back for the drive across that bridge system!!

lpasq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLR - Prior: XJ | TJ

I have done so three times. 2 door TJ from Chicago to Jersey. The same TJ from Jersey to California. Recently, my 2 door JL from California to Ohio. Both soft tops. I'd offer that you plan sunrise starts, so you get good miles in before afternoon winds pick up. I like mid-afternoons to end pushing miles. Don't push over speed limits, for both gas mileage and wind noise. Stay alert with hands on steering wheel, to quickly react to unexpected cross winds based on landscape, and also wind blast while passing and getting passed by tractor-trailers. The soft top can be a sail when up, and also when up and windows down. Always assume that what you leave in Jeep overnight when staying in hotels, is unimportant enough that if stolen, your still okay.

Sponsored

MEHillwalker80

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S JL 2 DR 1999 Chevy Suburban K1500

A week or so ago I returned from a trip from Maine to Utah, Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico, and Oklahoma partly on the Trans America Trail (TAT) and back to Maine, in my 2019 2DR Sport Plus. Trip total mileage 7800 miles. I found the little guy very comfortable to drive even during 8 to 10 hour days behind the wheel. My stats are: 81 years old, 6'2" and 220 pounds and in good physical condition for an oldie. I camped in my RTT for all but 3 nights out of 28 on the road. I was headed for Alaska, but we all know why I never got there. Damned Virus!

Looking back at the trip I can't think of anything that would have made the trip more comfortable except for maybe a bigger fuel tank to create fewer fuel stops.

Old Hillwalker /?/

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
I have done so three times. 2 door TJ from Chicago to Jersey. The same TJ from Jersey to California. Recently, my 2 door JL from California to Ohio. Both soft tops. I'd offer that you plan sunrise starts, so you get good miles in before afternoon winds pick up. I like mid-afternoons to end pushing miles. Don't push over speed limits, for both gas mileage and wind noise. Stay alert with hands on steering wheel, to quickly react to unexpected cross winds based on landscape, and also wind blast while passing and getting passed by tractor-trailers. The soft top can be a sail when up, and also when up and windows down. Always assume that what you leave in Jeep overnight when staying in hotels, is unimportant enough that if stolen, your still okay.
^This^

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
A week or so ago I returned from a trip from Maine to Utah, Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico, and Oklahoma partly on the Trans America Trail (TAT) and back to Maine, in my 2019 2DR Sport Plus. Trip total mileage 7800 miles. I found the little guy very comfortable to drive even during 8 to 10 hour days behind the wheel. My stats are: 81 years old, 6'2" and 220 pounds and in good physical condition for an oldie. I camped in my RTT for all but 3 nights out of 28 on the road. I was headed for Alaska, but we all know why I never got there. Damned Virus!

Looking back at the trip I can't think of anything that would have made the trip more comfortable except for maybe a bigger fuel tank to create fewer fuel stops.

Old Hillwalker /?/
That's awesome, and I was worried that being 58 was getting old around here :) Nice to hear about such a trip. We go on 2000 mile road trips all the time, leaving this morning for a week to Vegas, probably but another 2k on that one.

And yeah, that's the only gripe I have about our 2dr, that 17 gallon tank, would be nice to have the same one as the 4 dr. But then again, it's nice to have a couple more stops along the way to stretch the old bones lol.

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

The solution is to own both a two door and a four door.

And here’s one on a trampoline:
1625924644917.gif

@Headbarcode
I am planning next year to get a second Jeep for the wife and I. The second jeep will not have four doors. I really would like to have a 2 door for hard wheeling. I was out a couple weeks back with a couple buddies, one was in a yj and the other was in a two door JK. It felt like i had a bus on some of the trails after watching them both just cruise through obstacles. lol plus a 2 door on 35's is like having a 4door on 40's. damn breakover angle

Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)

I have done several trips where I drove 8-10 hours at a time in my JLR 2.0T. No real difference between a 2-door JL and any other vehicle. I find the seats really comfortable. One issue is the 20-24 mpg highway average. The smaller gas tank means you will have to stop every 250-300 miles. That does not mean you should drive until the gas light comes on. Personally I always start looking for gas around the 1/4-1/3 mark. I always want to have at leat 75-100 mile range just in case. That usually means stops every 3-4 hours. I find that perfect for stretching and restroom stops. I remove the rear seat for more cargo space. I bring a large dark towel or sheet to cover things.

You will be cleaning a LOT of bugs. The flat upright windshield does not help. A clean vehicle is comfortable vehicle. Clean, clay and detail before leaving. Ceramic is a good idea. It will make cleaning the tons of bugs off a lot easier. One of the ceramic hybrid sealants and polishes work well also. I use Turtle Wax Hybrid Solutions. It's easy to use and apply. I bring a bottle of the TW Hybrid detail spray and a dozen microfiber towels to clean bugs off at stops. I apply PPG Aquapel to all the glass and install new wipers if needed. Bring a roll of paper towels and a can of good glass cleaner. I like Invisible Glass because it's safe for tinted films. Nothing beats good old Windex with ammonia but you have to be careful of plastic, rubber, and tint. I also bring a small can of Plexus Plastic cleaner for the headlights. Makes cleaning bugs easier. Clean the windows and headlights as needed at gas or rest stops. Paper towels for all glass. Microfiber for headlights and all other painted surfaces.

Don't rely on cell coverage for GPS if your phone can't load maps. Use your Wrangler's GPS or any other dedicated sat based GPS. I would print a small paper map as a back up.

Having Road Side Assistance, towing, trip interruption insurance is a good idea if your warranty is up. AAA or your own insurance carrier is a option if you no longer have the Jeep road side assistance or a Mopar Max Care policy. Cost is very reasonable. I always activate XM Guardian for a road trip. The SOS is a nice feature for back up and Emergencies. I feel the SOS, Automatic SOS , roadside assistance call and other features are worth the monthly charge of $15-$20. You can always cancel after the trip.

Check you spare tire pressure. Make sure you have any locking lug keys and all the tools to change a flat in the vehicle. I personally bring a Slime Flat Tire Repair Kit for large SUV tires as insurance. Cost about $60. It comes with a compressor and is very easy to use. I feel safer using the flat kit on a dark busy highway or on a road with a soft shoulder. The Slime can be rinsed out and the tire can be repaired. The Slime is safe for TPS.

Pack a small cooler with water and protein rich snacks like Power Bars. And anything else you normally use on a road trip and you should be good. A lot of people traveling now and not all rest stops, washrooms, parks have supplies. A roll of paper towels, toilet paper, hand or baby wipes and hand sanitizer is always a good idea.

Load up your favorite music and enjoy.

I LOVE the Keys. The Wrangler is a perfect vehicle down there. Have a safe and fun trip!

Jeep Wrangler JL 2 Door Love Screen Shot 2021-07-23 at 8.15.45 AM

Last edited:

MEHillwalker80

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S JL 2 DR 1999 Chevy Suburban K1500
That's awesome, and I was worried that being 58 was getting old around here :) Nice to hear about such a trip. We go on 2000 mile road trips all the time, leaving this morning for a week to Vegas, probably but another 2k on that one.

And yeah, that's the only gripe I have about our 2dr, that 17 gallon tank, would be nice to have the same one as the 4 dr. But then again, it's nice to have a couple more stops along the way to stretch the old bones lol.
My lil Roamer w/extra fuel

IMG_0001.JPG

Bback58

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Willys, 2 dr, 6 spd, 2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland automatic
Wanted a 2 door manual, but the practical side of me said go for the 4 door automatic, so I went with a JT Overland. I kept second guessing my choice and a couple weeks later I decided to sell my other ride (2006 Mustang GT convertible) and get the Wrangler I wanted - 2 door, manual, soft top Willys. So now I have the best of both worlds. Love my 2 door!!!
Jeep Wrangler JL 2 Door Love 20201126_005.JPG
Jeep Wrangler JL 2 Door Love 20201117-09