First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
An eTorque 3.6 2 door will allow you to claim light hybrid status and not have to worry about justifying your choice of vehicle. Just pop the hood and look at the BSG motor, then look underneath at the large 48v battery pack.

The eTorque system is proving to be very reliable, more so the the ESS system. Our Wagoneer has it with a 5.7 and it performs flawlessly.

Now a 5.7 eTorque in a 2 door would be really fun to drive. Maybe even more so than a 392 4 door.

Go ahead and buy a 2 door. No time like the present. They aren't getting less expensive, that’s for sure.
Sponsored

Last edited:

BXFXJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Sahara
They stuffed a battery into a small factor Avenger.

My kids are getting older now, I wouldn't mind going back to a 2 door, but it has to be electric, no way am I going back to that gas guzzling anemic gas Wrangler, I'm a city slicker so I don't have range issues 200 miles would be good enough for me.

OP
OP
doublethebass

doublethebass

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Tacoma Pro 6MT, waiting for an electric Jeep
An eTorque 3.6 2 door will allow you to claim light hybrid status and not have to worry about justifying your choice of vehicle. Just pop the hood and look the BSG motor, then look underneath at the large 48v battery pack underneath.

The eTorque system is proving to be very reliable, more so the the ESS system. Our Wagoneer has it with a 5.7 and it performs flawlessly.

Now a 5.7 eTorque in a 2 door would be really fun to drive. Maybe even more so than a 392 4 door.

Go ahead and buy a 2 door. No time like the present. They aren't getting less expensive, that’s for sure.
I don't want an electric wrangler to justify anything, just want the punchy EV convertible with no gas. My Tacoma isn't going anywhere so I've got that for hiding my fuel bets

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a full electric Wrangler. One thing to consider would be to buy a nice 2 door JK with a blown engine. Then take it to a conversion company to have an electric drive train installed.

Old Dogger

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKR, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Retired High level Management.
I hope that they don’t offer the iconic 2 door with fully electric. Nothing is sacred anymore..:(

Sponsored

OP
OP
doublethebass

doublethebass

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a full electric Wrangler. One thing to consider would be to buy a nice 2 door JK with a blown engine. Then take it to a conversion company to have an electric drive train installed.
That's my backup plan đź‘Ť

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
The 2 door is a cramped space. Also, straight axles take up a lot of room. The Recon platform could be used, but a Wrangler body is bad for electrification. Hardly any body rigidity, body on frame, solid axles. I doubt a current Wrangler, electrified could go very far on a full charge. Maybe 150 miles under 45 MPH. Aerodynamic drag would be terrible above that. It would make a good beach town vehicle though. But people are already using electric lifted golf carts for that.

OP
OP
doublethebass

doublethebass

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The 2 door is a cramped space. Also, straight axles take up a lot of room. The Recon platform could be used, but a Wrangler body is bad for electrification. Hardly any body rigidity, body on frame, solid axles. I doubt a current Wrangler, electrified could go very far on a full charge. Maybe 150 miles under 45 MPH. Aerodynamic drag would be terrible above that. It would make a good beach town vehicle though. But people are already using electric lifted golf carts for that.
it'll be interesting to see where the engineering goes. Wonder if they'll end up with portal axles.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
it'll be interesting to see where the engineering goes. Wonder if they'll end up with portal axles.
Portal axles are great for raising an vehicle without altering the suspension too much. On a solid axle Jeep it would do nothing for space saving.

It would take an all new frame with 4 wheel independent suspension to accomplish a true, well packaged electric version, then at that point it’s no longer a Wrangler. The Recon will gauge how the buying public reacts to an all electric Jeep made vehicle designed for off road use. Center of gravity will be a major concern. I’m sure an all electric one would be designed to make it very difficult to lift.

I foresee a Recon with a Sky One Touch roof, or a removable center panel, if sales go well.

More and more, the future of the 2 door looks limited, and perhaps bleak.

OP
OP
doublethebass

doublethebass

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Portal axles are great for raising an vehicle without altering the suspension too much. On a solid axle Jeep it would do nothing for space saving.

It would take an all new frame with 4 wheel independent suspension to accomplish a true, well packaged electric version, then at that point it’s no longer a Wrangler. The Recon will gauge how the buying public reacts to an all electric Jeep made vehicle designed for off road use. Center of gravity will be a major concern. I’m sure an all electric one would be designed to make it very difficult to lift.

I foresee a Recon with a Sky One Touch roof, or a removable center panel, if sales go well.

More and more, the future of the 2 door looks limited, and perhaps bleak.
Lifts will be an issue for sure

Sponsored

PandaJL

First Name
Aly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2 Door Wrangler
This - who really knows when it’ll come out. I could see an argument that the 4xe “counts” for a wrangler for now, and 2d comes later. When they announced it, I thought “oh no, should I cancel my order” for about 30 seconds, and then realized a whole lot can change between now and then, what if they discontinue half doors, id be sad to wait for an electric and lose those! Better off getting what you want now, and changing it later, life is short.

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)
I still hope they do it. I think you're right, but I think the range anxiety is overhyped. Tesla's the only game in town with a reliable charging network that takes that problem our of contention. Hopefully by the time a BEV Wrangler rolls out the ability to charge reliably will be better.

Either way, a full electric Jeep with the top down sounds like the perfect vehicle for bombing around town.
Tesla has some charging stations, but do not kid yourself that they are everywhere. You get out in the sticks and you’ll be hard pressed to find a charge. Plug in hybrid is the way to go if ya gotta have electric, unless of course you live in a city or close too work.

OP
OP
doublethebass

doublethebass

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
and they're building more every month

BXFXJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Sahara
There is the Magneto, with a 70kWh battery, so based on the Wrangler 4xe 15-17kHw(26 miles), that 70kHw might squeeze out 130miles, I personally am satisfied with that range, 200 miles would be better though, as a buffer for December - March.

If price is ballpark 2 door JL, I would definitely buy, currently I have my eyes on the Recon to tie me over to a fully electric Wrangler, my kids are old enough now for me to get back into a 2 door.

This was my 4xe Feb mileage (km).

Jeep Wrangler JL 2-door electric Wrangler? PXL_20230301_021012115

The reason I did 188km gas(hybrid) is because there was a few days of -10c and I had a couple of 40km round trips around that time.
Sponsored

Last edited: