Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Ford with it's EV F150 and the new Hummer would beg to differ. What you mean to say is that Stellantis's EV technology is not ready for prime time because their leadership is openly hostile towards EVs. The success and popularity of the 4xE is in spite of it being a bad PHEV. It's just so fun to drive it doesn't matter to many, but it will to some.

There's clearly a market for large EVs. If Stellantis leadership is too stupid to realize that, the likes of Tesla, Rivian, GM and so on will continue to advance past the point where it's reasonable to catch up, and we're probably already there. They need to think about designing a new Wrangler around a battery platform, not the other way around, but we all know that's not going to happen.
Wow, thatā€™s a lot of hostility.

But you are incorrect: TFL did a towing test with their Tesla Model Y: range was cut by two-thirds. YouTuber Engineering Explained also towed with his Tesla Model X with similar results. A couple relocating towed with their Rivian truck from Detroit to Los Angeles documenting every step of the way: they had to stop every 100 miles to recharge, for a total of 20 recharging stops over a 2,000+ mile trip. Etc., etc.

With regards to Ford Lightning: as promising as it looks, no one has yet had a chance to test it towing. And the same goes for Hummer.

Wishful thinking does not make up for the fact that EV technology is not where it needs to be when it comes to towing ā€”or off-roading.

Sponsored

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
Wow, thatā€™s a lot of hostility.

But you are incorrect: TFL did a towing test with their Tesla Model Y: range was cut by two-thirds. YouTuber Engineering Explained also towed with his Tesla Model X with similar results. A couple relocating towed with their Rivian truck from Detroit to Los Angeles documenting every step of the way: they had to stop every 100 miles to recharge, for a total of 20 recharging stops over a 2,000+ mile trip. Etc., etc.

With regards to Ford Lightning: as promising as it looks, no one has yet had a chance to test it towing. And the same goes for Hummer.

Wishful thinking does not make up for the fact that EV technology is not where it needs to be when it comes to towing ā€”or off-roading.

This. Really interested to see how the Ford goes for towing. I'm expecting the 2/3rds drop as well.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Ford with it's EV F150 and the new Hummer would beg to differ. What you mean to say is that Stellantis's EV technology is not ready for prime time because their leadership is openly hostile towards EVs. The success and popularity of the 4xE is in spite of it being a bad PHEV. It's just so fun to drive it doesn't matter to many, but it will to some.

There's clearly a market for large EVs. If Stellantis leadership is too stupid to realize that, the likes of Tesla, Rivian, GM and so on will continue to advance past the point where it's reasonable to catch up, and we're probably already there. They need to think about designing a new Wrangler around a battery platform, not the other way around, but we all know that's not going to happen.
Please keep the " we" in your diatribe in your corner.
There is a lot of outdated disinformation in your rant ;
Stellantis leadership is committed to leading the way on EVs ; I am not about to be drawn into a debate with you.
I just call " Troll ", hit Ignore, and move on.

LooselyHeldPlans

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 3.6 JLUR
Occupation
Several
Only they did it for a Hummer. It's 8000LBS but it will take you from 0 to 60 in 3 seconds with 320 mile range. It's not particularly aerodynamic either. Stellantis only needs the will.
320 is on road is the same conditions that rate my JLUR at 20 mpg šŸ˜‚.

Why would the heavy hummer not see a 90% drop off-road like the JL does?

legacy_etu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Glad. Mojave, 16 JKU Sahara, 20 Supra
Aren't the Jeep Charging stations being installed at various trailheads solar powered? Is there any data available for them that indicates total storage capacity and 'active' charging capability? (By 'active' I mean if the storage is empty, how much charging is the station capable of when an EV is plugged into it.)

If Jeep can put those up and they can be self-sufficient enough to truly charge multiple vehicles a day, then personally I don't see the idea of infrastructure to handle EVs in general that is not burdensome on the power grids to be all that far fetched.
Regarding these charging stations at the trailheadā€¦. I suspect that these are still tied into the grid and that the solar panel on top is basically a decoration. I could totally be wrong though. Iā€™d be interested if someone could point me to more info on them.

Sponsored

BlackGenesis

First Name
Andrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Sahara unlimited
EV Wrangler will only work when battery gets more compact and lighter. Who needs a 8,000lb offroad capable pig.

DrBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport
Iā€™ll wait for the JL with the Flux Capacitor. No range anxiety when you can just toss some pine cones, tumbleweed, and beer cans in the tank and get another 300 miles of range. šŸ˜‰

MissAnnThorpe

First Name
Ann
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLU Sahara 4xE
Stellantis leadership is committed to leading the way on EVs
Oh come on. I even linked to an article with Tavares whining about having to make EVs. Let's face it, the market for Jeep has historically been overwhelmingly hostile towards EVs and the corporate culture fits that. I'll believe they're serious about EVs when they start building a Jeep around a battery platform and stop selling ICE models. To be clear, I don't mean a retrofit like the Magneto.

And yeah, some people rightly point out that the density isn't quite there yet for batteries, but we're already at the point where ford, GM, Tesla, and others are making it work. Whether the towing capability is there is a valid point, but it'll get there. I'm also not convinced Ford would be releasing a F150 if it wasn't good enough. Face it. Stellantis is behind because they didn't invest early. That doesn't mean it's not possible to catch up, but with a toxic culture starting at the top it might take a change in management. I only hope the Wrangler can survive such neglect since it's a piece of American history and culture. It's a literal Nazi-killing machine.

SoCal

First Name
MARK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, 981 Porsche Cayman S, BMW F32, Lexus is250
I don't think I'll be able to get a charging station up here... and I don't plan on giving this up...

I guess if your Wrangler is a true mall crawler then an all electric Jeep would be a viable option. Just not for us.

20210723_085346-2.jpg

true, if you plan on doing a 300+ mile off-road excursion, but I'd say about 2% of Jeep owners actually do that and those who do can always just stick to a JL, which will outlive most of us on this board, not all ICE cars will be sent to the crusher anytime soon....

But as someone who owns both EV and ICE cars, I can tell you the EV Jeep will make the 392 fill like a YJ if they actually make this 625hp Magneto 2.0

So for those who do the occasional local trails or even the ones in Sedona or Moab, there will be plenty enough range for those type of trails and the instant torque and other EV technology that would be perfect for a vehicle like the Jeep in those type of trails would make the E-Jeep very attractive to most Jeepers

doublethebass

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Tacoma Pro 6MT, waiting for an electric Jeep
true, if you plan on doing a 300+ mile off-road excursion, but I'd say about 2% of Jeep owners actually do that and those who do can always just stick to a JL, which will outlive most of us on this board, not all ICE cars will be sent to the crusher anytime soon....

But as someone who owns both EV and ICE cars, I can tell you the EV Jeep will make the 392 fill like a YJ if they actually make this 625hp Magneto 2.0

So for those who do the occasional local trails or even the ones in Sedona or Moab, there will be plenty enough range for those type of trails and the instant torque and other EV technology that would be perfect for a vehicle like the Jeep in those type of trails would make the E-Jeep very attractive to most Jeepers
I'm counting on it

Sponsored