All electric Wrangler in 2023?

TCogs1

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
cj6
https://enphase.com/installers/storage/encharge-10 a bit large, but 3 or 4 would fit… I think the key is match the ev or gas store for the trail of interest… on some trails I go through a full tank of gas in - 30 miles in my jlru… EV will be worse, but it’s not impossible. I think Jeep is on to something by using a trans and t-case with EV, so that energy consumption is not wasted. Just like the guys that run 4 bangers with 2 t-cases.
Personally, I like the propane generator for back up idea… I am sure somebody makes a hydrogen great or too which would be even smaller…
Sponsored

N8213

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 4XE, 20 C8, 20 Indian, 55 Studebaker truck
Electric vehicle technology is not yet ready for prime time when it comes to off-roading and towing.

There are multiple videos out there showing Teslas towing; their range gets cut by two thirds, from 300 down to 100 miles!

TFL recently showed a 4Xe going up a trail in purely electric mode: it made it only 3.4 miles before the gasoline engine had to kick in.

At this point I see a Wrangler EV being strictly for mall use.
Gas powered vehicles are no different. If I tow an airstream with my truck my mpg drops by more than half which means I fill up more often.

more high powered charging stations are needed to correct that challenge, which there is ample investment Halle info on that front.
After driving my 4xe, I’d happily get a bev and go full electric.

N8213

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 4XE, 20 C8, 20 Indian, 55 Studebaker truck
I can tow up to about 7K before my diesel Super Duty even notices I'm pulling anything (mileage-wise) 🤷
Well yeah. My John deer can pull 20,000 lbs before I know it has something on the hitch. No effect on mileage.

dmen

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLU Willys

Sponsored

J0E

First Name
J0e
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bt39.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 05 LJR on 43s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Drywall construction - reel estate
I can tow up to about 7K before my diesel Super Duty even notices I'm pulling anything (mileage-wise) 🤷
That's where diesels are best. But even my gas engine F-250's milage would drop less than 10% pulling my 5,000 LB trailer.

My plan is to carry an electric JLR on a F-600 4x4 (pulling a 22 ft trailer) and use this Honda 10K generator to charge it. That's a lot of infrastructure to support an EV compared to ICE. I'll leave the F-600 and trailer on the mainland when I return to Hawaii after the summer. But the maximum torque at zero RPM makes the diesel look like a weed wacker. Ignorance is bliss when it comes to those who have never owned an EV.

We have a 2017 Leaf EV we bought from the big island where range anxiety drives down leaf prices. We have no range anxiety here and charge it for free from our solar.

EV's are vastly inferior for towing and off grid. That's almost certainly going to be the case for at least 10 year, probably much longer. And that's coming from the person with the lowest carbon footprint on this forum and a big EV advocate.

Having lived off grid and own/operated over 30 generators, I've learned you get what you pay for. Cheap generators work fine for an occasional power outage, but won't hold up to high hour usage.

If I thought JEEP would deliver a reliable EVJLR in 2023, I'd buy it. But I'm skeptical the first generation of a radically new design wouldn't have problems. I'll get an electric JLR, but it will probably be until 3 years into the 2nd gen.

Last edited:

zb39

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ram 5500, 2018 Durango GT AWD, 2015 malibu, GMC 3500 Dump, 70 challenger convertible, 2019 2 door rubicon, manual tranny
We are a long way from ALL electric vehicles. To many tech issues and most people don't want to deal with them. Also our infrastructure can't handle it, not even close. They can't even keep the lights on in Cali. Maybe in 50-100 years. My guess is the crazy people in charge will be gone in a year or so and normal people will be back.

IdahoJOAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURe Tuscadero, Black '05 Silverado
Vehicle Showcase
We just got our 4xe and love it. Just went wheeling yesterday as a matter of fact, it was fun as hell in "silent mode".

That said, I've been brainstorming the all-electric, seeing these types of predictions and articles coming out...

Whichever company comes out with the universal battery will win. Take the power cord market...

While we still have the Apple Lightning vs USB debate going on, we had micro-USB for years. Now we're on USB-C.

But imagine that for the EV market, say premiering on the Cybertruck. They come out with the Type-III (making it up) battery pack. The cyberquad takes one of them. The Cybertruck takes 5 or 6 of them. The Type Y takes 3, etc.

You pull your Cybertruck up to the Flying J style battery station, you're inside getting knick-knacks and Arby's, 2 technicians are swapping your 6 Type-III batteries for 6 fully charged ones. Takes 30 minutes.

Then you're on the road with 6 fully charged, previously used batteries.

Your previous 6 are being charged, 2 of which are going in a 2025 Bolt going to Denver, 1 is going in the BMW EV motorcycle going to San Antonio, and the last 3 in a Model 3 on it's way to Tucson.

Whichever company standardizes the EV battery market and makes it quick changable, will win.

zb39

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ram 5500, 2018 Durango GT AWD, 2015 malibu, GMC 3500 Dump, 70 challenger convertible, 2019 2 door rubicon, manual tranny
Neat idea, but 30 minutes to fill up. No thank you. I can fill my Durango in less that 5 and I'm good for another 575 miles.

J0E

First Name
J0e
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bt39.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 05 LJR on 43s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Drywall construction - reel estate
Neat idea, but 30 minutes to fill up. No thank you. I can fill my Durango in less that 5 and I'm good for another 575 miles.
But you're stuck with a Durango while Tesla can swap batteries in 90 seconds.

Fill up in 5 minutes after hunting for a gas station and waiting in line for 10 minutes. I plug in my Leaf every few days in less than 20 seconds and my solar charges it for free.

Unlikely their will be 90 second universal battery swap stations in rural areas for the next few decades, but 20 minute quick charge stations will be common.

Sponsored

zb39

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
But you're stuck with a Durango while Tesla can swap batteries in 90 seconds.

Fill up in 5 minutes after hunting for a gas station and waiting in line for 10 minutes. I plug in my Leaf every few days in less than 20 seconds and my solar charges it for free.

Unlikely their will be 90 second universal battery swap stations in rural areas for the next few decades, but 20 minute quick charge stations will be common.
I'll take the Durango any day over any tesla for comfort and size. I have many vehicles to choose from. Cherokee limited to 2 new Ram 5500 with full kelderman air ride front and rear to new 45 foot diesel pusher. It's all about matching the vehicle to the needs of the current trip. Sometimes I throw my new Host cascade on the Ram 5500 and take that. It just depends what we are doing.
The JLR was ordered to be flat towed behind either RV. It works well, but I don't want to do long distance in it. I could but I have better vehicles for that.
It's not hard to find a gas station at most exits and I have never waited 10 minutes to start. You must live in the city. Merry Christmas.

LooselyHeldPlans

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 3.6 JLUR
Occupation
Several
1. Assuming an EV Jeep has a ~82kWh capacity (same as a Tesla Model 3), a 40kWh-capacity portable battery would be the same solution = ~180 miles. Battery technology isn't there - yet, but it's improving swiftly. It's not unrealistic to imagine that within the next ~3 years, you could buy a portable 40kWh-capacity "jerry can" for overlanding.
No way, man. You simply can’t draw the comparisons of range between a model 3 on road and a JL off-road. Your whole comparison is flawed from the get-go.

Take the recent TFL tests that got like 3.5 miles from the 4xe 17KWhr battery. Extrapolate that out to a 85kwhr battery and you’ve got a 18 mile electric range.

Also, the idea of a 40kw battery pack is nuts. Even at the very highest current energy density for lithium ion, that’d be a 340 lb battery without a case or any other needed components. Based in the current energy density of our solid state battery tech, that’s still a 220 battery pack.

I’d LOVE to be able to use a an electric wrangler, but battery tech For the required density and charging isn’t there and I don’t think it will be for a long time.

MissAnnThorpe

First Name
Ann
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLU Sahara 4xE
Electric vehicle technology is not yet ready for prime time when it comes to off-roading and towing.
Ford with it's EV F150 and the new Hummer would beg to differ. What you mean to say is that Stellantis's EV technology is not ready for prime time because their leadership is openly hostile towards EVs. The success and popularity of the 4xE is in spite of it being a bad PHEV. It's just so fun to drive it doesn't matter to many, but it will to some.

There's clearly a market for large EVs. If Stellantis leadership is too stupid to realize that, the likes of Tesla, Rivian, GM and so on will continue to advance past the point where it's reasonable to catch up, and we're probably already there. They need to think about designing a new Wrangler around a battery platform, not the other way around, but we all know that's not going to happen.

MissAnnThorpe

First Name
Ann
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLU Sahara 4xE
I’d LOVE to be able to use a an electric wrangler, but battery tech For the required density and charging isn’t there and I don’t think it will be for a long time.
Only they did it for a Hummer. It's 8000LBS but it will take you from 0 to 60 in 3 seconds with 320 mile range. It's not particularly aerodynamic either. Stellantis only needs the will.
Sponsored