2.0T Only has ONE battery?

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
So exactly how are you bypassing it you're just leaving it there and it's doing nothing and what it was doing for the auxiliary you've hooked all that up for the main battery what's all involved because it's weird last year my engine wouldn't cut off and I disconnected the big battery cables and it kept running and they said it was the auxiliary battery gone bad and it kept my engine running what a mess so I had someone told me what fuse to pull out I can't remember now even show the picture instead of I pull that fuse and it'll cut the motor off then put it back in so I know that happens again I'm going to have to look that up cuz I got lucky and it cut off that night and then the next morning I took it to the deal and they put new two new batteries in for me big battery and auxiliary battery
Sponsored

OP
OP
bigfoot21075

bigfoot21075

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2012 Ford F350
As much as I hate the little aux battery setup at least its easily bypassed unlike etorque and all it's added complexity.
I agree 100%. In fact, the lack of etorque was the deciding factor for my motor choice when I ordered mine.

We have a cabin 8 miles off of the Hatfield McCoy trail system in WVA, The Hatfield McCoy is already a sketchy ATV/off road trail, then the trail to our place is an old logging road that crosses two streams and is even sketchier. We used to be able to get back there with our F350 and still could if we had too but the Jeep makes it MUCH easier.

My fear was having something so complex that I could not fix it in my shop (when we bought the land it came with the 20x40 pole barn work shop the logging company used). This is also why I am looking to change my batteries after only 2 years and 16k miles.

MattT69

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Always get the e-torque version of whichever engine it is attached to. A 48v battery is better than 12v to use an auxiliary. I was lucky to find and buy the first 2018 2L i4 with e-torque! There are too many benefits with the new technology plus I was not happy with the lack of power in the n/a pentastar 3.6 v6. I read all the problems with the small motorcycle battery and all the issues of trying to bypass and the issues with the genesis dual batteries. Its what you call complicated. If you want something that works and has been proven to be reliable buy the either engine with an e-torque. Its does way more than start stop. In fact I have the Tazer mini that shuts that down and I like the off the line torque and smooth gear up shifts and power at all speed and at any elevation level. Also the braking assist save the wear and tear of the brake pads and calipers. Im not sure if the 2L i4 or the e-torque (or that combo) that gets me 20mpg while running 37s & 2.5 lift but its been a sweet experience since 2018. So much so that when my wife decided to get her own JLR we got another 2L turbo with e-torque.

As far as fixing them, they will take the same amount know how and tools as any other JL with the addition of some cooling lines that all 48v hybrid vehicles have had for a long long time. Just make sure to buy under armor to protect all the goodies on the belly, especially that exposed oil pan! That would be a bad day!!!

Shannon

First Name
Shannon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 wrangler unlimited rubicon
Hold on a second....I have a 2020 2.0 (no e-torque) and your telling me I only have the one battery and not the piece of crap motorcycle battery buried underneath it??? If so, you just made my day.

I remember reading about the "duel" battery setup when researching the JL and all the complaints associated with it. I just always assumed I had it, but to be honest I've never had to mess with the battery and didn't investigate any further.

I just want to be crystal clear.....you are saying the only battery the non e-torque 2.0 engines uses is the normal large vehicle battery setting right there in the engine compartment like any other normal vehicle???
I just verified that my 2019 2.0 has only one battery with Jeep looking up my VIN and build. I am much happier.

Sponsored

Shannon

First Name
Shannon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You technically have two batteries still, the main 12v and the 48v Etorque battery.
Where is it? It’s not under the 12v battery or the fuse box. I’ve seen some comments on a lithium or some such battery on the frame. The dealer, and Jeep, do not recognize a second battery….maybe by definition only. Thanks for any info.

Beachcomber72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU High Tide
Where is it? It’s not under the 12v battery or the fuse box. I’ve seen some comments on a lithium or some such battery on the frame. The dealer, and Jeep, do not recognize a second battery….maybe by definition only. Thanks for any info.
It’s directly in front of the rear differential at same level. It has a skid plate around it. It’s a 48v Samsung Lithium battery, that’s liquid cooled.

Shannon

First Name
Shannon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It’s directly in front of the rear differential at same level. It has a skid plate around it. It’s a 48v Samsung Lithium battery, that’s liquid cooled.
Thanks much! Why in the h##L doesn‘t Jeep call this a battery? Rhetorical question of course. Again, much appreciated.

Beachcomber72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU High Tide
Thanks much! Why in the h##L doesn‘t Jeep call this a battery? Rhetorical question of course. Again, much appreciated.
Generally not mentioned as a battery due in part to it not being serviceable by the consumer like the others in the engine bay where applicable. But none the less it’s a battery.

MattT69

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Another way to see if your JL Wrangler has the extra nice lithium 48v battery or the terrible extra small battery is to open the hood and look to see how many coolant reservoir you see....

If you have the 2.0T with eTorque, then you will have 3 coolant reservoirs.

You have the main coolant reservoir, which is up on the firewall (black cover).

Then there is one MGU reservoir (clear cover)

And another clear reservoir for your 48v lithoum battery pack.

Sponsored

ViperJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Punk'N Wrangler JL Rubicon
And what hasn't been mentioned is that the 48V battery has a long warranty period...it's six or eight years if I recall. Another plus in my book. Unlike that dinky motorcycle battery.