2.0-liter four-cylinder engine

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
the RPM range requires a device to try to mimic a manual in its shifting to get to the torque heavy RPM range - but you cant recreate that from a standstill (if youre stuck or need to climb / plow thru something)
Pushing and holding the shift lever up, in the - M position, will put the automatic transmission in first gear. It only takes a second or two for that to occur, no matter what gear the transmission is in at the time. Pressing and releasing the shift lever will quickly change gears, up or down, seamlessly and one at a time. This functioning is plainly illustrated in the Owner's Manual, and it provides the driver with the torque delivery that he may require.
Sponsored

The_Irish_Weaver

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport S - 2-door - Manual
Pushing and holding the shift lever up, in the - M position, will put the automatic transmission in first gear. It only takes a second or two for that to occur, no matter what gear the transmission is in at the time. Pressing and releasing the shift lever will quickly change gears, up or down, seamlessly and one at a time. This functioning is plainly illustrated in the Owner's Manual, and it provides the driver with the torque delivery that he may require.
so you can get it up to 35k rpm then engage it? we used to call that a neutral drop

crudesolo

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 2 dr
Referring to your beloved Jeep as a "car", is the equivalent to calling her a wh*re. Just something to keep in mind.
Noted. Some people like being called whores though. I can’t very well call her a rig yet. She is bone stock.

jmccorm

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineering
so you can get it up to 35k rpm then engage it? we used to call that a neutral drop
35k RPM sounds fatal. (You probably meant 3.5k, right?) In any case, that is not recommended for most vehicles. We used to call that, "a quick way to destroy a transmission." It puts a load on parts of a transmission that are not designed for that type of load.

The recommended procedure is to put it in gear, hold firm on your brakes, give it some gas to build up torque, and release the brakes when ready to launch. That also puts a load on the transmission, but the load is on the parts which ARE designed to carry it (if not regularly abused).

Sponsored

jason0341

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0L Rubicon
I'll probably run 85 that we have at Costco in CO then. If it starts on fire, I'll sue. haha Is my Jeep done yet???? I'll ask here since my wife said she will make me sleep outside if I ask again.
Let me know how this works out. I usually just grab the 91 from Costco or Sams here in CO. In the mountians I grab 87 since 91 is like $2 more per gallon. Lol

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I bolded the "but you cant recreate that from a standstill" text in your quoted post to make abundantly clear what I was explaining about the transmission's functioning when stopped. The straw man of engine speed has nothing to do with the original inquiry.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I test drove three V6s: two automatics, and one row-your-own. Even when paired with the otherwise superlative 850RE 8-speed, the Pentastar simply didn't impress. It required too much right foot just to get the vehicle down the road at legal speeds.

Taking perhaps the biggest leap of faith possible, I decided to configure my JLU order with the 2.0T engine. I hadn't test-driven nor even seen that engine in person until the day I took delivery of my new Jeep. And what an engine! It continues to impress me every time I drive the Wrangler, and not simply because of a single metric like fuel mileage, either.

Underpowered? Not if one's expectations aren't silly. As for the exhaust note, it's a four cylinder engine. Those who are expecting something throaty probably deserve their disappointment. Put your right foot in it and you'll forget all about the sewing machine whirr at idle. ;)
Personally, I've found the Borla Touring Climber cat-back exhaust system to be the answer for those looking for a bit of bass tone at idle and acceleration without any drone or that obnoxious rice burner fart can noise that the Honda civic guys seem to like.

And yeah, I shake my head whenever I read about someone that says they liked the feel of the 2.0 better, but went with the 3.6 because of the sound. Sound can be bought for cheap, but filling in the gutless low and mid rpm range of the v6 is a different story.

Sponsored

Turbomark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport Altitude
know its waaay too early to see the true grade of the new turbo wrangler - time will i guess, i just wanted to see why some chose it. Id never get a FCA turbo again - thats just me
FWIW, The turbocharger itself is a Garrett, not an in-house FCA product. Garrett has been in the racing world, producing turbos, for quite some time. I’m not worried about the turbocharger. The engine is still yet to be truly proven, but seems to be doing pretty well so far.

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
The Fiat GME motor isn't exactly that new. It's been around going on 6 years or so.
After running a 2.3l tuned turbo in a Focus RS, I was happy to slide into another 4 cylinder.
And you can't compare this 4 banger to the previous Jeeps pushing like 100hp. The inline 4 was terrible, especially mated to that tranny. Resale value on the JL won't be affected at all.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Technically, the 2.0L is 29 lbs heavier

037B59FB-65FA-4FFE-919D-376CA1D725CF.png
Wow! How the hell do you make a 2.0T 4-cyl engine weigh more than a V6 that is almost twice as big...?

Is it made out of lead?

Is it made by Ford...? 😫