First Name
Skoro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2dr 80th Edition, 2017 Renegade Trailhawk
Occupation
Retired, as in "Tired again"
Quick disclaimer: I haven’t driven the 2.0T, but the Recon edition includes the e-torque mild hybrid system, so I gotta think some of the pep you’re feeling (at low rpm, where an 8 speed auto will naturally want to land at each shift), is the e-torque assist. I couldn’t believe how fast and smooth my acceleration is in my 3.6 with e-torque. It’s seamless between gears and steady acceleration through it’s range….. if it wasn’t for the growl of the engine, you would almost think your driving an electric vehicle….
My 80th Edition doesn't have the eTorque. I have no experience with that system, so can't comment.
Sponsored

Xcoaste

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR - Past - '13 JKU, '97 TJ, '93 YJ
Test drive one and see what you think. Tons of people like the 2.0. I drove both engines many times before ordering. If I only could have picked the 2.0 I would have been fine. I came from a 3.6 and the sound of the 2.0 was a put off to me from what I was used to. I ended up ordering a 3.6 mostly due to familiarity. Enjoy your new Jeep.

IdahoJOAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURe Tuscadero, Black '05 Silverado
Vehicle Showcase
As someone who not only test drove both, picked the 2.0T, then drove a 3.6 sport as a rental for 10 days... the 2.0T is hands down the better engine.

As others have said, there are many threads on this, and there are even SOME who drove both and prefer the 3.6. Some like the flatter torque curve.

I LOVE the 2.0T. I loved it so much that when I went to order our Tuscadero JLUR, I was told I'd have to get the 3.6. It killed my motivation for the new Jeep. I ended up, over and over, bargaining with myself: "They'll come out with another fun color in a year or two." - "It won't be THAT bad." - "This new one will have the 4Auto, it'll have the front camera, it'll have the ACC for our trips..."

Then I realized the 2.0T is the soul of the 4xe. I looked at the math. And went that way.

At the end of the day, I got us a 4xe for the 2.0T. It's THAT good. (And we don't have the eTorque version)

Just my $0.02.

oldcjguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Challenger Hellcat, 19 Challenger Scatpack, 20 JLUR Recon
Occupation
Software Engineer
I didn't read the rest of the posts but, I have a '20 Ruby Recon with the 2.0 eTorque. I love it. I test drove a bunch and feel the 2.0 was better than the 3.6. I know people in the tuning world and they recommended the 2.0 over the 3.6. I drove a tuned 2019 2.0 eTorque JLUR with 35" tires and heavy ass 20" rims. That Jeep felt even peppier than my bone stock JLUR Recon, so it can get even better.

The one downside to the 2.0T is the exhaust sound. It's very very quiet. Not muscley sounding at all. The 3.6 does sound better if you like that. Personally I like the quiet and like how quiet mine is.

I love driving my Jeep every day and don't second guess the 2.0 vs the 3.6 ever. I'm a gearhead, I've built engines, cars, and jeeps in the past. The 3.6 is a great motor for sure. You really won't go wrong with either, but I prefer the 2.0.

At Risk Ute

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
milehightrails.com
Vehicle(s)
‘94 YJ, ‘21 JLR, ‘22 JLUR XR, ‘23 392 XR
Occupation
Retired Navy
Owned both. Prefer the 2.0T thanks to the additional torque. Sounds good with the muffler delete pipe.

Sponsored

Walker Texas Wrangler

First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hamburgsolutions.com
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU Rubicon, Previous: '99 TJ Sahara
Build Thread
Link
To be honest, I bought off the lot and didn't really have a preference between the 6 and 4 cylinder. I ended up with the 4 because it was on the Jeep that had almost all the other options I wanted and was a little bit cheaper. Having driven it for almost 5000 miles, I'm glad I got it. I really love how it drives. Great torque and pep (I only did a quick comparison between the two engines on the test drive). I would buy it again given the option to choose.

As for the exhaust note, it's not super noticeable to me. My TJ with the 4.0 wasn't spectacular either. But I didn't buy the Jeep for a "tough" sounding exhaust note. I had a K5 Blazer 350 with dual glass packs coming straight off the engine (no cat) and a Ram 1500 4.7 with a flow master that sounded great.

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 GMC 2WD Sierra, 4.3, NV3500, 3:73/TruTrac
Full disclaimer: I don't own a Jeep Wrangler. However, my best friend in the whole world had owned quite a few. Just a few months before he passed away one of the last texts was him at a dealership ready to purchase a 2020 Rubicon 4 door. In memory of him I would like to share it with all of you.

I just pulled up our texts (concerning 2.0) word for word March 27, 2020:

Johnny: (picture of engine compartment):

Jeep Wrangler JL 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine 48CA162D-A13D-46F2-8CCE-E087C066D707

Me: Holy damn shit!!
Is that a turbo!!
Shit it is!!
Automatic too

Johnny: Believe it or not it's a 2.0 I 4-cylinder
Knox mine in the dirthit the gas and
it's gone I cannot believe the
difference in my six cylinder and this
little four cylinder or you know what
your doing a hundred miles an hour

His JK had the 3.6 and for him to say that is something to listen to. John was a gear head that knew motors and how they affect drivability. I would take his word over anyone who claims the 3.6 is the better choice.

If I am to get a Jeep Rubicon it will be the 2.0 hands down. Also it will be a 2 door. It's funny Johnny and I had some "spirited" discussions on 2 door vs 4 door Rubicons. He could not wait to get a 4 door when Jeep first offered them in 2006 or 2007. He was always a much faster driver than me and the high speed stability of a 4 door vs 2 door cannot be argued.

Enis

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLURXR
As someone who just bought another jeep and pick it up Thursday:clap: I was against the 2.0. Only because I’m older ish, grew up with the whole turbos are bad and breakdown often. Told the dealership only wanted the 3.6, have one in my Mojave. Well they convinced me to try it. Well I’m glad I did, significantly better experience. Gas mileage was about 3l per 100 better according to the lie-o-meter my Mojave averages 15l per 100 over the last 8k

west tex

First Name
Skoro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2dr 80th Edition, 2017 Renegade Trailhawk
Occupation
Retired, as in "Tired again"
As someone who just bought another jeep and pick it up Thursday:clap: I was against the 2.0. Only because I’m older ish, grew up with the whole turbos are bad and breakdown often. Told the dealership only wanted the 3.6, have one in my Mojave. Well they convinced me to try it. Well I’m glad I did, significantly better experience. Gas mileage was about 3l per 100 better according to the lie-o-meter my Mojave averages 15l per 100 over the last 8k
Like you, I'm older and had the same prejudices. Also, I was a subscriber to the "there's no replacement for displacement" line of reasoning and thought that a 2.0L just simply couldn't hold up to a 3.6L when it came to performance.

Test driving both was a real eye opener for me.

gek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Code Monkey
I don't have the 2.0T, but I would imagine, if it has a variable vane turbo (I cannot find any information saying it is), it can flatten and extend the torque curve. Also that would make it easier to add power with just a tune. I have loved the power and torque from every vehicle I have had with a variable vane turbo in the past and the turbo lag was barely noticeable.

I will say that I traded in a VW Golf R with a 2.0T with a variable vane turbo and a six speed manual for my 3.6 with a 6 speed manual, and I am missing the feel of the turbo. The 3.6 seems pretty low on torque at low RPMs and I need to adjust my driving and shifting style to compensate.

Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
So my question is for the people who own one or have ridden in one how does it feel?

I had 2018 Rubicon in the 3.6 and I am a little afraid the 2.0 is going to feel very under powered.
I test drove three V6s: two automatics, and one row-your-own. Even when paired with the otherwise superlative 850RE 8-speed, the Pentastar simply didn't impress. It required too much right foot just to get the vehicle down the road at legal speeds.

Taking perhaps the biggest leap of faith possible, I decided to configure my JLU order with the 2.0T engine. I hadn't test-driven nor even seen that engine in person until the day I took delivery of my new Jeep. And what an engine! It continues to impress me every time I drive the Wrangler, and not simply because of a single metric like fuel mileage, either.

Underpowered? Not if one's expectations aren't silly. As for the exhaust note, it's a four cylinder engine. Those who are expecting something throaty probably deserve their disappointment. Put your right foot in it and you'll forget all about the sewing machine whirr at idle. ;)

OP
OP
3l3ments

3l3ments

First Name
Taylor Th omas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
So I went down today pretty hyped after reading everything. I gotta say I did love the 2.0 it felt pretty good compared to my 18 JLUR with the 3.6. Going to take delivery Friday.
Jeep Wrangler JL 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine 1635985202532

MadDog27

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
You’ll love that motor. I had a 2018 Sport with the 6 speed and v6. It too was fun to drive around but when I saved up and got a rubicon, I test drove the 2.0 and was impressed. Haven’t looked back and love my 2.0T.

Heres my v6 manual (granite) and my now, 2.0T (HellaYella)

Jeep Wrangler JL 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine 8ACB8A3B-DB92-4D36-8FFD-AA38D614722A

Jeep Wrangler JL 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine 37AC1EE7-0D12-47E0-99FB-106A9BCAC83B

Jeep Wrangler JL 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine 37C1F671-572A-4175-BD5C-E538E9912B09

JL MADDOG

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2.0L Turbo
Occupation
Jeepin'
I drove 3 Wranglers before I purchased my 2021 Willys.

A manual V-6. an automatic V-6 and the 8-spd I4 2.0L turbo. The 2.0L turbo accelerated quicker, it's well matched with the 8-spd auto and it does get with it. The HP & torque ratings are close to the V6 numbers but as was mentioned you have to push that V6 to a higher RPM to get close the the HP of the 2.0L which is produced at a lower RPM.

I am very very happy with my 2.0L turbo.

Jeep Wrangler JL 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine 07

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
I have a 2020 Recon with the little turbo. Except for loud start up sounds I love this power plant. It’s peppy and great in high altitude driving, far better than the natural aspirated V6.
Sponsored