2.0-liter four-cylinder engine

basinite

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys (2 door)
I have 2.0 Rubicon 2 door and it’s hands down the most fun car I’ve ever driven. It’s peppy, with decent gas mileage and I honestly even prefer it quiet since I take conference calls in my car. Don’t have any plans of upgrading the exhaust for a louder exhaust note. Very happy with it.
Referring to your beloved Jeep as a "car", is the equivalent to calling her a wh*re. Just something to keep in mind.
Sponsored

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
I test drove both: the 2.0T felt spunkier although a little abrupt, and didn’t care for the sound; the V6 is more refined and relaxed overall.

Fiat’s unproven quality swayed me towards the V6, and I’m happy with my choice.

Having said that, the 2.0T appears to have turned pretty reliable so far.
Happy with your choice…aside from fuel economy but there’s an entire thread about that already.

As a real world comparison, our heavy, modified JLUR does 0-60 in 6.9s. That is on a heavy 37” mt, 4” lift, upgraded skids, stock gears, ~250lbs worthy tools, recovery gear, compressor inside, steel bumpers, winch, and my 275lbs inside. It is quick, fun to drive, Handles 85mph+ on the freeway with no complaints, and still gets 17-18mpg. 4LO just makes the torque output from that little engine even more impressive.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
I've owned both the 3.6 and 2.0, both jeeps were 2 doors so apple to apple comparison. The 2.0 blows the 3.6 outa the water!! As many other have stated, the 2.0 makes the Jeep feel lighter and peppier. Plus it gets better gas milage. If you live in higher elevation, the 2.0 is a must.

I still can't believe this question even keeps coming up on this forum. If you unbiasedly drive both engines back to back on the same day, there is no way you can come away thinking the 3.6 has more power.
I’ve seen a few make the mistake of driving a rubicon with one engine and a sport with the other and then use that as their conclusion that the rubicon engine felt quicker off the line. The difference in gearing is much larger than the difference in tire size. If you are doing an apples to apples test drive, make sure both have the same gearing. Just a heads up for those that may not know the difference.

IdahoJOAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURe Tuscadero, Black '05 Silverado
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve seen a few make the mistake of driving a rubicon with one engine and a sport with the other and then use that as their conclusion that the rubicon engine felt quicker off the line. The difference in gearing is much larger than the difference in tire size. If you are doing an apples to apples test drive, make sure both have the same gearing. Just a heads up for those that may not know the difference.
I suppose that's me. Our JLURe is 2.0T, the rental with the 3.6 was a sport.

Sponsored

IdahoJOAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURe Tuscadero, Black '05 Silverado
Vehicle Showcase
Having driven both engines in the same trim, you still made the right choice. Gearing only exacerbates the acceleration advantage the 2.0t has in my experience.
Well we'd bought the 2.0T already. It was just truly interesting. I'd test drove both and like many before me, immediately preferred the 2.0T. There's a whole story that I wrote up before somewhere on here. An interesting note though is that while I googled it, I wasn't PART of this forum. I was looking for 2.0T problems. I saw a bunch of eTorque related issues on the 2.0T, so I was happy my 2020 didn't have it. Still am. Even though I'm now getting a 4xe lol

hiimmike

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Occupation
Network Engineer
has anyone tried to siphon the 4 gallons of fuel put in from the factory to see what octane they put in?

mgenbox

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Wrangler jl 2 dr sport
Bought my first jeep a 2T sport in June.
Test drove an unlimited with the 6 and my sport.
Was very impressed with the turbo power obviously and hydro blue to boot.
Wasn’t real impressed with sound but not a biggy v. the power n fuel mileage.
Within couple months installed steel bumpers, winch, bumper mounted spare, 35 ats, 3” lift, side step bars with stock gearing. Was worried it would kill a lot of power but it didn’t phase it much! Gas mileage did drop some but not to concerned as it’s not a daily and wanted a mean and cool lookin machine. Saving it for pleasure drivin, muddin, n trails. Have had it in deep mud holes and climbed sand dunes and performs great. Got almost 8k on it and no probs knock on wood 😁

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
has anyone tried to siphon the 4 gallons of fuel put in from the factory to see what octane they put in?
Sounds like way more trouble than it’s worth? The ecu will adjust timing for premium vs lower octane fuel, but from virtually everyone who’s tried running both there’s minimal discernible difference, especially in test drive conditions. Every tank but 2 (and maybe the 1st one from the dealer) in 45k miles has been 91 or better. The 2 tanks where we ran 87 felt no real loss of power (remote stations without premium available) You shouldn’t be flogging any new vehicle for the 1st 500 miles anyway, so I don’t think it really matters what they put in? Sure it may be a fraction of a second quicker with premium, but even without it still pulls harder than the V6.

RoadiJeff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0T Recon, 2018 3.6L GC High Altitude
Since the owner's manual says that both the 3.6 and 2.0 can safely run on regular you can bet it came from the factory with regular in the tank. The company isn't going to spend the extra money for a separate fuel system in the plant or the added higher cost of premium if it is not necessary.

Sponsored

hiimmike

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Occupation
Network Engineer
I'll probably run 85 that we have at Costco in CO then. If it starts on fire, I'll sue. haha Is my Jeep done yet???? I'll ask here since my wife said she will make me sleep outside if I ask again.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
That thought crossed my mind, but not in any serious way. I figured if the Owner's Manual allows 87 for the 2.0T, that's what Toledo put in the tank.

As soon as I started the engine for the pre-paperwork test drive, the Low Fuel icon illuminated while the needle hovered at E. And so I drove directly to a gas station down the street, where my salesman used the dealer's fuel card to provide a courtesy fill-up of 93 octane. 17.x gallons was needed, so the "4 gallon" line item on the window sticker appeared to be accurate.

Since that day, my JLU has been fed nothing less than 91.

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
I'll probably run 85 that we have at Costco in CO then. If it starts on fire, I'll sue. haha Is my Jeep done yet???? I'll ask here since my wife said she will make me sleep outside if I ask again.
Octane is lower per grade in CO than it is at lower altitudes because of the thinner air. Turbos however, make up for that and I'd be leery of running an octane that doesn't even meet Jeep's recommended minimum.

Probably won't hurt anything, but I just play it safe and run 91 most of the time, or 89 (mid-grade in CO).

longfiredragon

First Name
Darryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUW Sport 2.0 L Turbo
As been said already, but have to add. I drove 2 auto 6 bangers and 2 4 cylinder turbos automatics before I ordered my Willys. I do want to say if you like your 6 banger great, I could have been happy myself with a 6 banger is does ok in the wrangler. But for me that was the difference, the 6 is ok. I read a lot on this subject, on here and every place I could find. One thing I have never heard anyone say about the 6 is that it shits and gets. My 2.0 T "shits and gets" or however you want to say it "runs like a scolded dog" whatever. For me the 2.0T out performed the 6 in every way.

The_Irish_Weaver

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport S - 2-door - Manual
I've owned both the 3.6 and 2.0, both jeeps were 2 doors so apple to apple comparison. The 2.0 blows the 3.6 outa the water!! As many other have stated, the 2.0 makes the Jeep feel lighter and peppier. Plus it gets better gas milage. If you live in higher elevation, the 2.0 is a must.

I still can't believe this question even keeps coming up on this forum. If you unbiasedly drive both engines back to back on the same day, there is no way you can come away thinking the 3.6 has more power.
i just got out of a FCA small turbo engine in a jeep and in under 62k miles - at separate times along the way - i went thru transmission replacement, an turbo replacement, an engine replacement, and when i got rid of it...the turbo was leaking oil like crazy. All i ever used it for was commuting and the snow storms in 4X4 and it failed miserably, drove sluggish, and required premium to even have some real chutzpah. thats why i ask the question.

also the past 4 cyl wranglers were very problematic and terrible on the resale value.

reading the responses here i see how in higher elevations its a benefit....the RPM range requires a device to try to mimic a manual in its shifting to get to the torque heavy RPM range - but you cant recreate that from a standstill (if youre stuck or need to climb / plow thru something) - for passing motorists in motion yes thats when it works well to take advantage of that high torque.

I know its waaay too early to see the true grade of the new turbo wrangler - time will i guess, i just wanted to see why some chose it. Id never get a FCA turbo again - thats just me
Sponsored