wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I had this debate with my bud, he uses the stock 12v plug in the back of his JLUR for his fridge and I use the ARB wiring kit. He thinks I am crazy and I think he is crazy. The ARB wiring kit was $21 and installed in about 20 minutes. The ARB plug screws into the ARB 12v plug so it never comes loose. That to me is worth the $21 dollars all by its self.
Sponsored

Blu bi Kong

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
I had this debate with my bud, he uses the stock 12v plug in the back of his JLUR for his fridge and I use the ARB wiring kit. He thinks I am crazy and I think he is crazy. The ARB wiring kit was $21 and installed in about 20 minutes. The ARB plug screws into the ARB 12v plug so it never comes loose. That to me is worth the $21 dollars all by its self.
No debate brother

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
No debate brother
We are going on a two week camping trip from Michigan to the Rubicon Trail and Moab. I am sure during that time, he may change his mind. He has not had to use the fridge in a hot climate yet.

IronScott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara, 1992 Jeep YJ, 2002 Chevy Silverado
Dang! The kit cost $41 for me. I'm about to install it and am running more 10g wire for other projects. I wouldn't trust the stock plug for anything of substance.

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
8 ga would handle 40 amps. 6 ga would handle 50 amps. The typical cigarette lighter style power connectors are rated from 10-20 amps. 14 ga will handle 20 amps. These portable fridges draw from 2-4 amps at their maximum. Don't go overboard. And don't forget to fuse the circuit as near to the battery as practical.

https://expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/actual-fridge-power-draws.204578/
I was going to run a twin ARB off the same wire. Still might be overkill....

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase

MILT

First Name
Milt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Honda technician
Tagging this thread. Awesome info. Thanks to all those providing info.

I’m planning on installing a fridge, tail gate light and 2 plug ins off the rear 12v plug. Jackery is on the list. Is there a way to use different solar panels or is it a proprietary solar input?

AdvEddie

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JL Rubicon EcoDiesel -15 Ram 2500 Cummins Mega
Tagging this thread. Awesome info. Thanks to all those providing info.

I’m planning on installing a fridge, tail gate light and 2 plug ins off the rear 12v plug. Jackery is on the list. Is there a way to use different solar panels or is it a proprietary solar input?
you will need adapters if you dont use jackery inputs. Some panels (RockPals) come with a set of adapters for all sorts of battery setups.

MILT

First Name
Milt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Honda technician
I’d like to use a military style roll up panel like a powerfilm. Those use a male 12v plug. For space consideration would like to avoid hard panels (plus soft panels are nice for backpacking)

anotheraznguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mojito JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
you will need adapters if you dont use jackery inputs. Some panels (RockPals) come with a set of adapters for all sorts of battery setups.
I am in the same boat right now looking for a Solar panel/blanket that folds. However my requirement is that it is unregulated since the redarc BCDC25 has a solar regulator built in.

Any insights into what 100w foldable panel would work?

Sponsored

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
I am in the same boat right now looking for a Solar panel/blanket that folds. However my requirement is that it is unregulated since the redarc BCDC25 has a solar regulator built in.

Any insights into what 100w foldable panel would work?
Saw this during the Overland Expo Virtual event. May help you a bit:

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
I'm trying to help a buddy out equipping his party bus. Do these fridges keep beer cold enough? Like 34 degrees cold? I don't know much about them. Thanks in advance

My Engel MT-45 will work as a Freezer if I wanted to. So yes. It'll keep them plenty cold.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
I'm trying to help a buddy out equipping his party bus. Do these fridges keep beer cold enough? Like 34 degrees cold? I don't know much about them. Thanks in advance

My ARB will freeze your buddy's beer in Moab when the outside temp is 105 degrees.