Vehicle Showcase

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
Anyone else running into issues using the rear cigarette power for the fridge. Mine is VERY touchie and it goes dead. Not sure yet if it's the fridge power connector or the power output??

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone else running into issues using the rear cigarette power for the fridge. Mine is VERY touchie and it goes dead. Not sure yet if it's the fridge power connector or the power output??
Nope, and I've jarred the hell out of it, including a trip to Moab. I'd check the male connector, first. There's a good chance that's where the problem lies.

Martindfletcher

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ducati 1299s, 2018 JLUR
Nope, and I've jarred the hell out of it, including a trip to Moab. I'd check the male connector, first. There's a good chance that's where the problem lies.
they can be disassembled to mate to the ARB power outlet. sounds like a good thing to check.

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
they can be disassembled to mate to the ARB power outlet. sounds like a good thing to check.
I wouldn't. When I installed my ARB Power wire Kit I removed the panel to check and the wires going into that 12v plug are TINY. I wouldn't use it to run anything more than a LED light much less a fridge or compressor.

Sponsored

Martindfletcher

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ducati 1299s, 2018 JLUR
I wouldn't. When I installed my ARB Power wire Kit I removed the panel to check and the wires going into that 12v plug are TINY. I wouldn't use it to run anything more than a LED light much less a fridge or compressor.
The guy said he had an intermittent connection, suggested he check cable as it can be disassembled. Maybe it came loose. Agree If running an arb wire kit, may as well run new wires.

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
I was just using that outlet for a test just to see if the thing worked. it does now for some reason. I tried the fridge with two other vehicles and it worked in all of them. Put it back in the jeep and now it works there too....go figure.
I was going to run a 6 or 8 gauge wire direct to the battery. I need to check into that ARB power kit before doing so.

Blu bi Kong

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Ok,Here's the numbers. I received my honda slash jackery 290 yesterday.
Charged over night to 100%
Unplugged from wall
Plugged in Marinaire 40qt frirg/freezer set to 25 degrees at 8:30am in garage started at 73degrees
Checked at 9:35 and temp was 29 degrees display was at 89%
Left it plugged in all day without looking at it closed up in garage, air temp today was 82 outside
Unplugged and shut everything down at 8:35pm freezer temp was 26 and jackery display read 12%

So 12hrs straight hard run at 25 degrees and still going! Test over. I will never ask anything near that out in the real world.
Tomorrow starts another test, jackery plugged into rear power socket after I changed fuse to power only when ignition is on and plug the fridge/freezer into jackery and set at 25degrees and drive normally thru the week watching the % of charge on jackery . Charging while driving while the fridge is plugged in and running. Turning ignition off so no charging will be happening and jackery will be running the fridge.
New starting temp and time and results to follow. As I said, I will never ask anything close to todays test. I will run it max overnight and maybe for a few minutes thru the day out in the wild when I turn jeep off periodically.
Super happy so far,
vic

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I was just using that outlet for a test just to see if the thing worked. it does now for some reason. I tried the fridge with two other vehicles and it worked in all of them. Put it back in the jeep and now it works there too....go figure.
I was going to run a 6 or 8 gauge wire direct to the battery. I need to check into that ARB power kit before doing so.
8 ga would handle 40 amps. 6 ga would handle 50 amps. The typical cigarette lighter style power connectors are rated from 10-20 amps. 14 ga will handle 20 amps. These portable fridges draw from 2-4 amps at their maximum. Don't go overboard. And don't forget to fuse the circuit as near to the battery as practical.

https://expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/actual-fridge-power-draws.204578/

Last edited:

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
8 ga would handle 40 amps. 6 ga would handle 50 amps. The typical cigarette lighter style power connectors are rated from 10-20 amps. 14 ga will handle 20 amps. These portable fridges draw from 2-4 amps at their maximum. Don't go overboard. And don't forget to fuse the circuit as near to the battery as practical.

https://expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/actual-fridge-power-draws.204578/
I've not noticed any issues running the Snomaster. You are right that they just don't draw much.

Sponsored

Blu bi Kong

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Update, 1:30 pm.
Plugged jackery into Jeep with rear socket fused to ignition for that socket and plugged in fridge to jackery. Fridge 68 degrees (set to 25) nothing in it.
Jackery was at 100% at 1:30.
Update to follow. Plan worked beautiful as I started Jeep up the charging indicator light came on as well.
More info to come....

Blu bi Kong

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Well,
My test seems moot. Driving and stopping four times the fridge stayed at 25 degrees and the jackery stayed at 100%.
In my world it will only be powering the fridge from when I stop in afternoon/evening on the trail until 7am when we typically roll out. So I call it a success.

20200518_171249.jpg

20200518_171252.jpg

20200518_171258.jpg

IronScott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara, 1992 Jeep YJ, 2002 Chevy Silverado
Well,
My test seems moot. Driving and stopping four times the fridge stayed at 25 degrees and the jackery stayed at 100%.
In my world it will only be powering the fridge from when I stop in afternoon/evening on the trail until 7am when we typically roll out. So I call it a success.

Jeep Wrangler JL 12V Fridge & freezer 20200518_171258

Good to hear. I have a Jackery as well but haven’t had it out on the trails yet. Do you have a post showing what/how you have it mounted? Looks interesting and I love that platform you have!

Blu bi Kong

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Good to hear. I have a Jackery as well but haven’t had it out on the trails yet. Do you have a post showing what/how you have it mounted? Looks interesting and I love that platform you have!
I simply made a rectangle out of aluminum with one hole for driver's side rear hardtop bolt. I supported with a block of wood with a rubber pad on it where it bottoms out to black factory trim. Painted black and bent the plate just a enough so when I tighten the bolt the block on bottom of plate snugs up to the trim above the power socket. You can barely make out the edge of plywood painted black.

My rear cargo platform is all custom made as well. The back flips up to get to stow area in back of floor and the two panels remove from front section in 2 minutes if I want to fold either rear seat or both seats up. That way I can leave the fridge where I have it. Seems the best location for my uses. Allows full use of cargo area from back hatch or passenger door. Works for me, may not meet anyone elses needs but it's perfect for me.

20200512_125642.jpg

IronScott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara, 1992 Jeep YJ, 2002 Chevy Silverado
I simply made a rectangle out of aluminum with one hole for driver's side rear hardtop bolt. I supported with a block of wood with a rubber pad on it where it bottoms out to black factory trim. Painted black and bent the plate just a enough so when I tighten the bolt the block on bottom of plate snugs up to the trim above the power socket. You can barely make out the edge of plywood painted black.

My rear cargo platform is all custom made as well. The back flips up to get to stow area in back of floor and the two panels remove from front section in 2 minutes if I want to fold either rear seat or both seats up. That way I can leave the fridge where I have it. Seems the best location for my uses. Allows full use of cargo area from back hatch or passenger door. Works for me, may not meet anyone elses needs but it's perfect for me.

Jeep Wrangler JL 12V Fridge & freezer 20200512_125642
Great! Thanks for sharing that. Definitely a good, clean solution.
Sponsored