Sponsored

JLRyder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS
Keep it and let’s see how far it will go!
Sponsored

Tredsdert

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Subaru Forester, 2021 Jeep Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Beer Distribution
Long time browser but finally felt I could post. Usually just read.

I have owned my 2020 JLU Willys since new, Nov 20. Just hit 102,000 miles without a single issue. Everything on this has been great despite others having issues. Some off roading in the Eastern Sierra's, Coyote Flats, and SoCal. Only mods are a 2" lift and 35-11.5s. Never once had a check engine light come on until 97,000ish when the DPF filter at threshold came. It comes and goes but lately it stays on despite long drives and dropping down a gear on the freeway. Last time I had it checked was at 56%. Had the Fuel pump recall which was never replaced due to "National Backlog" for over 2 years.

I really enjoy this vehicle but lately, looking over common issues, it is making me nervous. I have not found a JLU owner with this many miles and the RAMs with this many are usually replacing the engines between 100-140k. Looking for replacement engines, you do not find many and the cost to replace is pricy. You can find a 392 engine for cheaper.

I have been debating on saying F it and build it up with a EVO lift and may be do axles or trade it in while I can get a few bucks and grab a lightly used 392.

IMG_0637.jpg
You can get a rebuilt Cummins 5.9 from any Mopar dealership. It in fact does fit inside the JLU EcoDiesel engine bay. You might need to redo some electrical and you're definitely going to need a new PCM with it, probably would have to do tune also of some sort. I did the numbers game a while back, but a year ago I was coming out with 15,000 parts and labor. Not a bad deal if you ask me to get a million mile engine inside your vehicle. ;)

https://www.cummins.com/engines/remanufactured-cummins-turbo-diesel

Panda Mafia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe
So refreshing to hear good stories like this. That is one happy jeep, you def look after it. I just hit 40k km on my 4xe with zero issues, knock on wood. Can even picture getting to 100k miles.

OP
OP
Eleven71Design
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.eleven71design.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Willys
Occupation
Manufacturing.
You can get a rebuilt Cummins 5.9 from any Mopar dealership. It in fact does fit inside the JLU EcoDiesel engine bay. You might need to redo some electrical and you're definitely going to need a new PCM with it, probably would have to do tune also of some sort. I did the numbers game a while back, but a year ago I was coming out with 15,000 parts and labor. Not a bad deal if you ask me to get a million mile engine inside your vehicle. ;)

https://www.cummins.com/engines/remanufactured-cummins-turbo-diesel
SO I have seen guys do this on older vehicles but no one has on the JLU. Also, the weight is a huge difference from the 3.0l. Also looking around, seems like a replacement Eco is well over $10g. Really love the jeep and engine but not super interested in replacing the engine in the near future. May not be needed but I have seen far too many horror stories and not many great ones.

BuffaloBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Wrangler 2.0, 2020 wrangler 3.0
Do any of you follow Vern on the Ram 1500 EcoDiesel forum? He did a lot of highway miles delivering campers. He replaced his gen2 engine at something over 300K miles.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Eleven71Design
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.eleven71design.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Willys
Occupation
Manufacturing.
I have not seen his. Will look it up.

I am heavily debating grabbing a S&B cold air, Banks Derringer/Monster Gauge and trashing my muffler. This should help clean things up a bit and I would imagine, help prevent the Carbon build up.

KCSgtMaj

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY24 Rubicon Unlimited, 3.6L
Occupation
Retired Marine, Master Plumber
Driving habits also has a lot to do with vehicle longevity. Sounds like you have taken great care of your Jeep.

driventoadventure

First Name
Lrr
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Employed Gainfully
Clubs

I have not seen his. Will look it up.

I am heavily debating grabbing a S&B cold air, Banks Derringer/Monster Gauge and trashing my muffler. This should help clean things up a bit and I would imagine, help prevent the Carbon build up.
Go rent something off Outdoorsy and go camping with it. Monitor your EOT while pulling uphill. Do this a few times a year and you'll burn off the carbon. Diesels are made to be loaded up, so go to town on it. Thrashing it will help, but isn't the best answer.

Tredsdert

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Subaru Forester, 2021 Jeep Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Beer Distribution
SO I have seen guys do this on older vehicles but no one has on the JLU. Also, the weight is a huge difference from the 3.0l. Also looking around, seems like a replacement Eco is well over $10g. Really love the jeep and engine but not super interested in replacing the engine in the near future. May not be needed but I have seen far too many horror stories and not many great ones.
It's been done on the JK, and if a JKU can handle it, a JLU definitely can!

Honestly if I were you, I would get yourself a new intake manifold, don't even bother cleaning the old one, just toss it. And then get you a stage one tune with the EGR disable. If you do the stage one, you'll still technically be saving the environment. ?‍♂ So long as you keep the DEF and the whole exhaust system intact. With the EGR disabled you just won't be polluting your engine. Although it'll definitely put much more strain on the remaining systems.

My understanding is (according to the RAM forums) these third gen EcoDiesels will last 150,000 mi with all of your environmental nonsense on there. The second you stop dumping soot into your engine that number bumps up to 250,000-300,000 mi.

Grateful1

First Name
Grateful
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 1998 TJ Sport 2011 Extreme Camper
Occupation
HR Manager
Wow. That is pretty AUsome. My 2018 Shahara 3.6L has pretty much been the same as your experience. I have 75K miles on it so far. If and when the motor goes, I have contemplated the swap to the ECO diesel motor. I do not intend to trade or sell this Wrangler. It is my long term Jeep so a potential motor upgrade / swap when it goes out is on the mind. Glad you have had the success with this engine. I hope you continue your adventures and build. The 392 is tempting.

Sponsored

Paluss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Glad to hear you rolling up the miles on the ECO D. It is really a sweet motor. I keep debating on getting rid of mine as I am not liking Jeep as much as I use to, but every time I drive the ECO D it makes me feel better. I still love the highway passing power, and how quiet the engine is on the highway. I agree with the other person that the DEF system is the Achilles heel for long term ownership....

LowBama

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silver JL
Occupation
Engineer
Not necessarily the def system(that is problematic long term) it’s the egr that is killing the engine because it puts burnt exhaust back into the engine.
I tune deleted mine at 45k now I’m at 55k and I just finished the physical removal. Here is what my high pressure EGR injector looked like.

IMG_3926.jpeg

OP
OP
Eleven71Design
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.eleven71design.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Willys
Occupation
Manufacturing.
I tune deleted mine at 45k now I’m at 55k and I just finished the physical removal. Here is what my high pressure EGR injector looked like.
What "Tune" did you go with. Seen a few but a common one that has some great reviews, also has a recent horror story.
Sponsored