Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.eleven71design.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Willys
Occupation
Manufacturing.
Long time browser but finally felt I could post. Usually just read.

I have owned my 2020 JLU Willys since new, Nov 20. Just hit 102,000 miles without a single issue. Everything on this has been great despite others having issues. Some off roading in the Eastern Sierra's, Coyote Flats, and SoCal. Only mods are a 2" lift and 35-11.5s. Never once had a check engine light come on until 97,000ish when the DPF filter at threshold came. It comes and goes but lately it stays on despite long drives and dropping down a gear on the freeway. Last time I had it checked was at 56%. Had the Fuel pump recall which was never replaced due to "National Backlog" for over 2 years.

I really enjoy this vehicle but lately, looking over common issues, it is making me nervous. I have not found a JLU owner with this many miles and the RAMs with this many are usually replacing the engines between 100-140k. Looking for replacement engines, you do not find many and the cost to replace is pricy. You can find a 392 engine for cheaper.

I have been debating on saying F it and build it up with a EVO lift and may be do axles or trade it in while I can get a few bucks and grab a lightly used 392.

Jeep Wrangler JL 100,000 miles EcoDiesel JLU without a single issue IMG_0637
Sponsored

Tread4Lo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22'JLURD
Or get rid of the pesky emission stuff? ? If your zip is right (37771), does Tennessee actually smog check anything? Hard to know why you would get rid of something when you have had 100k almost trouble free miles.

If you go crazy on the build, keep us updated please. We all enjoy those types of threads.

OP
OP
Eleven71Design
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.eleven71design.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Willys
Occupation
Manufacturing.
My County does not require it but I am not 100% comfortable deleting it. I am doing more research into it though. I am leaning heavily on the Banks Derringer and peddel monster.

As for DEF, I usually get 5-6K miles before needing to fill up. It was more frequent earlier on but the more miles it gets, the longer a tank lasts. Not sure how much this plays into my DPF code.

I love seeing those 10+ year old rigs build up and drove daily.

Last edited:

rock123

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ
Sounds like you’ve taken care of it…if you’ve kept up on all the maintenance, the Ecodiesel engine itself can last a long time. I don’t see an entire engine replacement necessary for awhile…maybe some emissions equipment goes out or an engine seal wears out though.

Wrangler man

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUAD
Clubs

Your experience is awesome. Hope to make it to at least 150,000 miles or more on my 2020 Eco diesel. Will continue my build the way I like and run the crap out of my diesel until it dies. When it does completely crap out i will go to America's Most Wanted and do a 392 swap. That way I keep the expensive upgrades and custom mods without starting over. When factoring out buying a slightly lightly used 392 versus an engine swap I should still be ahead at least 20,000+ not mentioning my numerous very expensive suspension and custom mods $$ Seems better than starting all over or painstakingly remove from one to put on the other. No thanks.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Eleven71Design
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.eleven71design.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Willys
Occupation
Manufacturing.
I have looked over AMW swap kits but have not seen anyone swap over a Diesel to Gas. All the kits I look up are not available due to the different computers, plumbing, ext...

Reactions: DGT

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Never once had a check engine light come on until 97,000ish when the DPF filter at threshold came. It comes and goes but lately it stays on despite long drives and dropping down a gear on the freeway. Last time I had it checked was at 56%.
Very encouraging post.

Please elaborate on the CEL you are getting regarding the DPF at threshold. I have an iDash so I can monitor the soot build-up realtime, but I've never heard of a warning light regarding regens. By "threshold" do you mean 80% - or - approaching the dangerous level of 100%? I could understand if the light comes on as you are approach totally full, but not when you are simply at 80%. The 80% level is the trigger point for a regen, but a CEL would seem to indicate a trip into the no-no zone.

The Derringer/PedalMonster are worthy additions to this powertrain. Especially the PedalMonster.

OP
OP
Eleven71Design
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.eleven71design.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Willys
Occupation
Manufacturing.
Very encouraging post.

Please elaborate on the CEL you are getting regarding the DPF at threshold. I have an iDash so I can monitor the soot build-up realtime, but I've never heard of a warning light regarding regens. By "threshold" do you mean 80% - or - approaching the dangerous level of 100%? I could understand if the light comes on as you are approach totally full, but not when you are simply at 80%. The 80% level is the trigger point for a regen, but a CEL would seem to indicate a trip into the no-no zone.

The Derringer/PedalMonster are worthy additions to this powertrain. Especially the PedalMonster.
Last two times I was at the Dealer, Once just because the Check Engine Light and another for Oil change, I was told DPF at threshold warning. They said 56% of threshold. Now I understand 80% is the big number but in the 97K prior, I never once had a light come on and never once was ever concerned about regen. I never noticed it at all. Seeing that these engines suffer from Carbon Build up, I do not want to worry about any back up in the exhaust as all the previous generations suffered greatly from this. I have seen a few tear downs of engines with less miles and they were disgusting inside.

I just ordered a Foxwell NT510 so I can do a Regen when I want. I did call Banks and ask about the Derringer/Pedal Monster. The tech I spoke with said with the addition of a better Air filter it will promote better/cleaner exhaust.

Im looking into options and am not real concerned but realize the issues associated with the EcoDiesel. The thing that makes me nervous is there are not many Gen3 with this many miles and even less Jeep EcoDiesels with that many miles.

Sponsored

DubaiMarauder

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited EcoDiesel FarOut
Occupation
Truck Driver
Vehicle Showcase
I just bought my ecodiesel in October and havent even hit the first oil change yet, so this gives me hope for a long life with this motor.

Wrangler man

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUAD
Clubs

100,000 miles EcoDiesel JLU without a single issue
Jeep Wrangler JL 100,000 miles EcoDiesel JLU without a single issue 1714609004995-lu
No trolling please. I believe your comment is suitable for the "humor section" which you most often visit. I'm by no means a gatekeeper but this is for EcoDiesel Wrangler folks who share and generally help one another.

Dryver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 4xe "Bridgette"
No trolling please. I believe your comment is suitable for the "humor section" which you most often visit. I'm by no means a gatekeeper but this is for EcoDiesel Wrangler folks who share and generally help one another.
And yet the EcoDiesel folks have no problems trollling the 4xe crowd. Seems a double standard to me.

Congrats to the OP for a trouble-free rig. Hope it stays that way.

Tpsillos

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUD
Occupation
Welding Inspector
Clubs

It's good to hear others have had trouble free ecodiesels. I only have 89k but it's been sweet. Put it on a diet though, you won't regret it.
When mine dies it will get a 6.7 Cummins, just because I can.

Zombie crawler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Comanche, 240sx, grand Cherokee
I’m right under 50k in about a years time without issue fingers crossed it stays that way. Hoping some eoc love will help it last longer just not sure when I’ll have the funds for it.
Sponsored