First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Retired
I recently installed the Smittybuilt Extended Shadetop With Skylights. This is a well made top, and the installation is simple and straight forward. I road tested it yesterday in basically every configuration, including at interstate speeds as high as 75+ mph. It holds up well. With the skylights completely closed it billows some and flaps a little against the sound bar, but not obnoxiously, in my opinion (I'm thinking that I might be able to remedy this). In mesh mode, or with the skylights completely open, it is very quiet, and I can easily listen to the stereo at highway speeds

I wanted something that I can close quickly if/when a passing rain shower approaches, and this Smittybuilt product fits the bill. The skylight panels easily store away inside the center section over the sound bar. I'm also able to reinstall the hardtop over this shade top. In order to install the freedom panels, the front skylight must remain open, but the rear section can stay closed, and becomes a headliner when the hardtop is installed. Time will tell how well it holds up, but for now I am happy with it.

IMG_20191219_125009.jpg

IMG_20191219_124956.jpg

IMG_20191219_125109.jpg

IMG_20191219_134211.jpg

IMG_20191219_140904.jpg

IMG_20191219_143339.jpg

IMG_20191219_143421.jpg

IMG_20191219_144354.jpg

IMG_20191219_150655.jpg

IMG_20191219_152051.jpg

IMG_20191219_153519.jpg

IMG_20191219_162136.jpg

IMG_20191219_162148.jpg
Sponsored

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

That looks pretty good. Id be all over that for $59!

thanks for posting. Was planning to get one of these for spring.

CSURamSun

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sport S
Hi there,

I have been looking for a top like this to protect against a sudden shower. I live in Colorado where the weather can be beautiful and sunny on second and then a bit of rain comes quickly. Obviously won't be completely dry, but if it rains does this top keep you relatively dry? Just don't want to get soaked, something to provide some protection.

Thanks!!!

Sponsored

redelses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR
I realize this thread is from a while ago... but just installed the smittybilt extended shade. When I installed the hardtop over it, I had a lot of trouble getting the rear latches of the freedom panels to close - seemed like the smittybilt material had built up too thick between the rear part of the freedom panel and the catches for the latch. Did you have that issue, and/or have any suggestions on getting those latches to close? Thanks!!

I recently installed the Smittybuilt Extended Shadetop With Skylights. This is a well made top, and the installation is simple and straight forward. I road tested it yesterday in basically every configuration, including at interstate speeds as high as 75+ mph. It holds up well. With the skylights completely closed it billows some and flaps a little against the sound bar, but not obnoxiously, in my opinion (I'm thinking that I might be able to remedy this). In mesh mode, or with the skylights completely open, it is very quiet, and I can easily listen to the stereo at highway speeds

I wanted something that I can close quickly if/when a passing rain shower approaches, and this Smittybuilt product fits the bill. The skylight panels easily store away inside the center section over the sound bar. I'm also able to reinstall the hardtop over this shade top. In order to install the freedom panels, the front skylight must remain open, but the rear section can stay closed, and becomes a headliner when the hardtop is installed. Time will tell how well it holds up, but for now I am happy with it.

Jeep Wrangler JL Smttybuilt Ext Shade Top with Skylights IMG_20191219_162148

Hpc3

First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler(s)
I realize this thread is from a while ago... but just installed the smittybilt extended shade. When I installed the hardtop over it, I had a lot of trouble getting the rear latches of the freedom panels to close - seemed like the smittybilt material had built up too thick between the rear part of the freedom panel and the catches for the latch. Did you have that issue, and/or have any suggestions on getting those latches to close? Thanks!!
You need to make sure the hard top rubber bumpers sit flush on the roll bar(through the top). If you have the Smitty front flaps stored in the pouch the hard top will not sit low enough to install correctly. either fold them back over the rear panel or zip them back in place once your freedom panels are installed.

redelses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR
thanks! I noticed the rubber bumpers on the hard top not sitting all the way on the roll bar, but eventually just loosened the middle straps and pushed things as far back as I could to get everything in place. I'll work on it some more to see if I can streamline the hard top install a bit more. thanks!!

You need to make sure the hard top rubber bumpers sit flush on the roll bar(through the top). If you have the Smitty front flaps stored in the pouch the hard top will not sit low enough to install correctly. either fold them back over the rear panel or zip them back in place once your freedom panels are installed.

Hpc3

First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler(s)
thanks! I noticed the rubber bumpers on the hard top not sitting all the way on the roll bar, but eventually just loosened the middle straps and pushed things as far back as I could to get everything in place. I'll work on it some more to see if I can streamline the hard top install a bit more. thanks!!
Good luck... it will work with a little fidgeting. Not really documented well in the instructions they provide.

OP
OP
Ran4

Ran4

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Retired
I understand the issue you're having, but I haven't had much of a struggle with it.

20220629_115827.jpg

Sponsored

redelses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR
Thanks - got it to work today, had to push most of the stuff behind where those rubber bumpers are, and effective behind the lower shelf part of the hard top (or as much over the roll bar as possible). Freedom panels went on much easier this time. Thanks!

Good luck... it will work with a little fidgeting. Not really documented well in the instructions they provide.