Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
Just found some great pictures in this older thread.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...t-shade-top-with-skylights.43243/#post-954044

I recently installed the Smittybuilt Extended Shadetop With Skylights. This is a well made top, and the installation is simple and straight forward. I road tested it yesterday in basically every configuration, including at interstate speeds as high as 75+ mph. It holds up well. With the skylights completely closed it billows some and flaps a little against the sound bar, but not obnoxiously, in my opinion (I'm thinking that I might be able to remedy this). In mesh mode, or with the skylights completely open, it is very quiet, and I can easily listen to the stereo at highway speeds

I wanted something that I can close quickly if/when a passing rain shower approaches, and this Smittybuilt product fits the bill. The skylight panels easily store away inside the center section over the sound bar. I'm also able to reinstall the hardtop over this shade top. In order to install the freedom panels, the front skylight must remain open, but the rear section can stay closed, and becomes a headliner when the hardtop is installed. Time will tell how well it holds up, but for now I am happy with it.

IMG_20191219_125009.jpg

IMG_20191219_124956.jpg

IMG_20191219_125109.jpg

IMG_20191219_134211.jpg

IMG_20191219_140904.jpg

IMG_20191219_143339.jpg

IMG_20191219_143421.jpg

IMG_20191219_144354.jpg

IMG_20191219_150655.jpg

IMG_20191219_152051.jpg

IMG_20191219_153519.jpg

IMG_20191219_162136.jpg

IMG_20191219_162148.jpg
Sponsored

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
I had originally ordered the Smittybuilt top from Amazon but since it was backordered, I canceled and reordered from 4wheelparts.com. Great price and just installed today. Love the top and will provide more feedback after I run it for awhile.

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

I had originally ordered the Smittybuilt top from Amazon but since it was backordered, I canceled and reordered from 4wheelparts.com. Great price and just installed today. Love the top and will provide more feedback after I run it for awhile.
lol. i bought it from 4WP on sale but havent installed it yet. just found it on Amazon for $50!! just ordered it there and will be returning the other to 4WP

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07B3T9KP7/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase

Arctric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, Granite, Cloth, Dual Tops, LED, Towing, Infotain, Cold Weather.
Looks like a great option. Has anyone tried this with a soft top? Question is, can it be left in place with both a hard top and a soft top? The Smittybilt site only mentions with a hard top.

Sponsored

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
Looks like a great option. Has anyone tried this with a soft top? Question is, can it be left in place with both a hard top and a soft top? The Smittybilt site only mentions with a hard top.
Good question! The way the velcro side straps attach above the doors make me wonder if this shade is compatible with a softtop. Hopefully, someone with a softtop will respond.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
I didn't see a 2 door version, but am thinking that extra 20 " would extend back down across the rear of the Sport Bar, for extra shade and protection.

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
I didn't see a 2 door version, but am thinking that extra 20 " would extend back down across the rear of the Sport Bar, for extra shade and protection.
The challenge with using this on a 2 door may be finding a way to secure the rear of the top so it doesn't flap around. The rear 4 velcro straps need to be attached to something.

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

in the Amazon link i posted there is a review by someone with a hard top who had some issues. ill install mine this week (soft top) and report back. that would be a bummer if it doesnt. that was the point of buying it. so i could just put the top up over it easily.

Arctric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, Granite, Cloth, Dual Tops, LED, Towing, Infotain, Cold Weather.
in the Amazon link i posted there is a review by someone with a hard top who had some issues. ill install mine this week (soft top) and report back. that would be a bummer if it doesnt. that was the point of buying it. so i could just put the top up over it easily.
Yea I read that Amazon review also. In a previous thread about this Ran4 said:
I'm also able to reinstall the hardtop over this shade top. In order to install the freedom panels, the front skylight must remain open, but the rear section can stay closed, and becomes a headliner when the hardtop is installed.
Could be that the Amazon reviewer didn't leave the front skylight open. Looking forward to your install. Most of the other brands I've seen work with both tops.

Sponsored

Jlynsk

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL unlimited sport
Did you get to install with the soft top?

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

Did you get to install with the soft top?
not yet. It rained for like a week straight here. im also at home playing full time teacher to a 2nd grader right now which is consuming my days. I should be able to this weekend.

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
Yea I read that Amazon review also. In a previous thread about this Ran4 said:
I'm also able to reinstall the hardtop over this shade top. In order to install the freedom panels, the front skylight must remain open, but the rear section can stay closed, and becomes a headliner when the hardtop is installed.
Could be that the Amazon reviewer didn't leave the front skylight open. Looking forward to your install. Most of the other brands I've seen work with both tops.
I can confirm that you are correct! The Smittybuilt shade top works great with the hardtop installed as long as you keep both the front sections open and stored. I also recommend keeping the rear sections closed because the center storage section will get way too thick and get in the way of the hardtop when installed.

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

Finally got to install mine today on my soft top sport.

the shade is very nice quality. Amazing for the $50 i got it for on Amazon!

the soft top can close on top of it no problem, but you do do need to undo the two front windshield straps. I snapped some pics to show what i mean.

the very front of the top has two straps with snap buttons and one strap with velcro (very center).
The two button straps feed through the mount that the soft top hooks to when you close the soft top. These are in the way so you have to undo them so the hooks can latch close. It kind of droops down some with these two traps undone BUT i have not secured the center velcro strap yet. For that strap you have to glue a piece of velcro down on the metal of the windshield. Ill try to do that tomorrow, though it says give it time to dry. I think that center velcro strap can be left in place with the top closed, which will help with the droop.
—there are still straps on the sides that are keeping the sides taut.

1CA30640-4399-459C-BF75-E4F3E135D176.jpeg
AE7D8AD3-9C9A-4648-80B9-0C496823AEDD.jpeg
EF42B96F-0B6F-4258-BCC5-607B0668D4D0.jpeg
2CF4F00B-FEA9-4359-9D0D-646617FDA8FC.jpeg

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

in my last photo you can see the bit of droop on the front of the shade that i was referring to. i think that will get better once i get the velcro piece installed IF i can close the top with the velcro part still attached (i believe it will, dont see why not). it doesnt droop that low anyways. its definitely worth it to be able to have both on at the same time.

tomorrow ill open the solid sections so just the mesh is in place and see how the top closes like that. and then fully open. hopefully the top will fit fine with everything stuffed in that center pocket. if not, just an extra minute to zipper close those windows. dont have to remove anything.

i must say im impressed with the quality of the canvas used. especially for the price. even at $100. it seems very well made. everything fit nice and taut with no adjustments needed.
Sponsored