Sponsored

Smittybilt Safari hard top for JL?

Rufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL Sport 3.6 V6
Thank you very much. I'm definitely not interested in going into business but I do like designing new things and making a few examples of each design- my hobby is design. I did a hardtop for my LJ before I did the JKU one and that one was licensed by a company and has been in production for the past few years (photo below), so sometimes things I design turn into products. I also did the CJ grille kit for the TJ/LJ that's on the Jeep in the photo below, but I haven't licensed that to anyone yet so for now it's a one-off.

I recently finished several JL/JLU designs, including a slider window kit and a cargo hatch window kit for factory hardtops, several hardware designs like Rotopax and HiLift carriers, and several fabric designs like custom fit storage bags and Molle panels, all of these have been picked up by companies for production, some of those are on the market now and some will be soon. (But not by me, I'm not in business and I don't sell anything, I just do designs for my own enjoyment :)).

LJ-8Final1_zps41e4e7a4.jpg
Well that’s a terrific skill to have and I hope the companies that pick up your designs compensate you well.

I would seriously consider the safari top for my 2dr.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Doctorit

Doctorit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Thank you. Yes, it's homemade.

I don't like the factory hardtops much so if I ever have a JL I'll probably make a JL version with similar features.
Here's one vote for: please get a JLU! I like your style, I'd love it if someone picked up and built a top like your JKU.

Care to share more about the slider and cargo hatch designs you did for the JL? The only thing I really don't like about running the soft-top year-round is having to spend 2 minutes undoing the rear panel to really access the trunk area; that's probably my one/main reason for wanting a hardtop. Really like your full-opening cargo hatch rear design.

jscherb

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU, 2006 LJ, 2006 Wrangler Pickup
Here's one vote for: please get a JLU! I like your style, I'd love it if someone picked up and built a top like your JKU.

Care to share more about the slider and cargo hatch designs you did for the JL? The only thing I really don't like about running the soft-top year-round is having to spend 2 minutes undoing the rear panel to really access the trunk area; that's probably my one/main reason for wanting a hardtop. Really like your full-opening cargo hatch rear design.
Here are some photos and a video showing the cargo hatch window on a JK 2dr, the JL/JLU versions look the same. So far I've done the designs for the JKU, JK2dr and JLU, will do the JL 2dr as soon as I get access to a JL 2dr to do some measurements.

CargoWindowFlushLatches1_zps2xc2k19n.jpg

CargoWindowInstalled2_zps5mgbaym7.jpg

The plan is to have two versions of the hatch - one version with glass, and one version with a solid aluminum panel.

Also in the plan is a Molle grid that goes on the inside to store gear inside the hatch, these photos are of the JKU prototype. Molle gear, Quickfist clamps and other gear and mounts can be used on both sides of the panel:

CargoWindowHatch4_zps9uytnsnx.jpg

This next photo is the slider window kit, it's just being held in place in the photo.

JLRetrofitKit2a_zpsgl8ecwam.jpg

Both the slider kit and the cargo hatch kit are designed to install in factory hardtops. A company has signed up for all of the above. The first production run of the JL slider windows has been done; the installation kit production is underway. The cargo hatch windows are in the prototype stage but use the same installation kit as the sliders so they're not expected to take long to get into production once the details of the prototype are finalized.

As for the "full-opening cargo hatch rear design" (I call it a "barn door"), if I had access to a JL/JLU it wouldn't take long to do the molds for it. Nothing has changed the usability of my Jeeps more than the barn door:

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
If I were to have a Safari-style hardtop on a JL, this is what I'd want...

SafariAtDusk_zpsxcagwamw.jpg

A rear barn door for easy access to cargo:

FinalWashed4_zpspt6u1rib.jpg

Power vent windows for easy flow-through ventilation:

FinalVentWindows_zpsnpmwztlb.jpg

Removable side panels:

HalfDoorSim_zpszg0x8yoq.jpg

Roll-up soft sides for when the hard sides are off:

FallConfig1_zps77uraq41.jpg

Integrated roof rack to hold any amount of weight:

MORrydeSpace1_zpsrwikc580.jpg
This is pretty awesome. Great work!

OP
OP
Doctorit

Doctorit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
As for the "full-opening cargo hatch rear design" (I call it a "barn door"), if I had access to a JL/JLU it wouldn't take long to do the molds for it. Nothing has changed the usability of my Jeeps more than the barn door:
If I had a factory hardtop, I'd be happy to lend you my JLU!...

Can you tell us who the vendor is that licensed the slider design to sell (I'm sure others are wondering)?

Sponsored

weeitsmikelee

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Wrangler392; ‘20 F-Pace; '15 XL883N; '82 CX500
Occupation
Healthcare
Vehicle Showcase
@jscherb great designs! If you need a test mule lmk :giggle:

jscherb

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If I had a factory hardtop, I'd be happy to lend you my JLU!...

Can you tell us who the vendor is that licensed the slider design to sell (I'm sure others are wondering)?
The hardtop slider window kits will be available from Retrofit Offroad. They've been offering slider window kits for JKU and JK Wranglers for a while now: https://www.retrofitoffroad.com/product-category/jeep-wrangler-jk-factory-hardtop-slider-window-kit/

For the record and in case anyone is wondering: I am not an employee of Retrofit Offroad.

jscherb

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@jscherb great designs! If you need a test mule lmk :giggle:
I always need a JL or JLU for measurement and test fitting, usually I go to the dealer to do measurements but most things I can't install on a Jeep in their showroom :).

I need access to a JL 2dr right now, I recently did a JKU/JK product that Overland Outfitters picked up and they want a 2dr JL version too and they can't do that until I have a few minutes with a 2dr to do some measurements (the dealer hasn't had a 2dr on their lot for weeks).

Would be great if I could find people with a JL and a JLU within easy range of where I live who wanted to participate in design projects and testing of prototypes (southern Finger Lakes region of upstate NY).

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

Wow. Impressive skills sir. That JK top is incredible

jscherb

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wow. Impressive skills sir. That JK top is incredible
Thank you very much. For me it's a huge improvement in form and function over the factory hardtop.

Sponsored

jscherb

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well that’s a terrific skill to have and I hope the companies that pick up your designs compensate you well.

I would seriously consider the safari top for my 2dr.
This is a concept image of the JK 2dr version of the top. I haven't built one yet but it would look like this.

2drRear34d_zpsbce2960f.jpg

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
I always need a JL or JLU for measurement and test fitting, usually I go to the dealer to do measurements but most things I can't install on a Jeep in their showroom :).

I need access to a JL 2dr right now, I recently did a JKU/JK product that Overland Outfitters picked up and they want a 2dr JL version too and they can't do that until I have a few minutes with a 2dr to do some measurements (the dealer hasn't had a 2dr on their lot for weeks).

Would be great if I could find people with a JL and a JLU within easy range of where I live who wanted to participate in design projects and testing of prototypes (southern Finger Lakes region of upstate NY).
What is your Zip code ? Mine is 13361

jscherb

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Rufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL Sport 3.6 V6
Here are some photos and a video showing the cargo hatch window on a JK 2dr, the JL/JLU versions look the same. So far I've done the designs for the JKU, JK2dr and JLU, will do the JL 2dr as soon as I get access to a JL 2dr to do some measurements.

CargoWindowFlushLatches1_zps2xc2k19n.jpg

CargoWindowInstalled2_zps5mgbaym7.jpg

The plan is to have two versions of the hatch - one version with glass, and one version with a solid aluminum panel.

Also in the plan is a Molle grid that goes on the inside to store gear inside the hatch, these photos are of the JKU prototype. Molle gear, Quickfist clamps and other gear and mounts can be used on both sides of the panel:

CargoWindowHatch4_zps9uytnsnx.jpg

This next photo is the slider window kit, it's just being held in place in the photo.

JLRetrofitKit2a_zpsgl8ecwam.jpg

Both the slider kit and the cargo hatch kit are designed to install in factory hardtops. A company has signed up for all of the above. The first production run of the JL slider windows has been done; the installation kit production is underway. The cargo hatch windows are in the prototype stage but use the same installation kit as the sliders so they're not expected to take long to get into production once the details of the prototype are finalized.

Where upstate

I am in the city but I have a 2 door and could drive

I would gladly make the trip up from 10012 some weekend but I only have a soft top and I imagine you’d need to make measurements from a hardtop.

jscherb

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Where upstate

I am in the city but I have a 2 door and could drive

I would gladly make the trip up from 10012 some weekend but I only have a soft top and I imagine you’d need to make measurements from a hardtop.
I'm in Elmira. I do need a 2dr hardtop to do the measurements for the slider/cargo window installation kit (I've already done the JLU kit design), I'll be checking the dealers within about an hour from me to see if any of them have a 2dr because my local dealer doesn't.

What I need a 2dr for more urgently for is a product that Overland Outfitters picked up - it's a storage product and they call it a Saddlebag, it mounts along the side of the tub next to the back seat and its form-fitted to the curves of the inner fender. It's made from high quality leather and canvas and makes good use of space that's otherwise never used. It mounts to the bolt holes in the tub for the hardtop, and there's a zipper to quickly remove the bag from its mount. They've got the JK/JKU version in production (it's available at Quadratec, among other places), and I need to measure for fitment to the JL 2dr. Here's a photo of one in a JK 2dr:

SaddlebagIn2dr1_zpsnttbdt1d.jpg

If I don't find a 2dr at a dealer within an hour or so within the next two weeks, I'll be in NYC in three weeks so maybe if it works for you I'll drop by and measure/test fit the bag in your 2dr.

Thanks!!
Sponsored