CarPlay problems

VooDoo1

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S, 2007 FJ Cruiser
We have had a couple instances while using Waze of the current/start location changing to a different area. It doesn't revert back to the city we live in but a shopping center in city that is 15 minutes from us. It tries to use that as our starting location when we are in a city 2 hours away from home. We noticed as well that it loses signal on the compass direction. This is the second time this has happened to us on a trip. We end up having to disconnect and just use the phone until the system decides to have the correct location/compass direction. Any ideas or fixes or is this just a glitch that we just have to live with??
Thanks, sorry if this has been asked but I'm new to the forums and didn't locate it anywhere previously.
I had the same problem. Apple maps & Google Maps showing the wrong location on the UConnect screen, but if you unplug your phone, maps shows your correct current location on the phone.

There is a software update (per Technical Service Bulletin) for the UConnect system to fix this. I had it done and now mine works flawlessly.

Go to your dealer and ask to have the UConnect system software updated per TSB 08-012-18 Rev D. It took the dealer less than 2 hours to do the update.
Sponsored

19JLRuby

First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
System Engineer
I had big problems with Uconnect and CarPlay on my recent long roadtrip.

I was running an iPhone and iPad (Gaia rocks!). About 25% of the time, CarPlay wouldn't recognize my phone at all. I had the iPad connected to bluetooth for these situations. But a few times, this wouldn't even work. So had to try and delete phone/ipad and start over. Sometimes that would work, if not, I'd have to reset the whole radio.

Another problem I ran into was that all the usb outlets would stop working. this made me super nervous, as I was really out in the middle of nowhere. I figured out the problem after a few times of this happening. Whenever I would plug my Garmin Inreach or Fenix into the usb to charge, it would stop all the usb from working. Luckily I had a wall plug in for three usbs on it, so I was able to keep those charged.

I've been so happy with the rest of the Jeep, but these issues lead to some massive frustration on the trip. When you're driving through the middle of the Canada and Alaska, you need some tunes! I decided to wait on taking the Jeep into the dealer until I get the new Uconnect software update. Want to see if this fixes the problems.

Oh, Waze and Google Maps are so awesome CarPlay.
We have the same problems with our 2019 JL not recognizing the CarPlay and it's intermittent problems with a black/blank screen and it is terribly frustrating with our 2019 Rubicon only being a few months old.. Currently our VIN # doesn't show that a sw update is available but we will kee! checking.

baggio16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubicon
We have the same problems with our 2019 JL not recognizing the CarPlay and it's intermittent problems with a black/blank screen and it is terribly frustrating with our 2019 Rubicon only being a few months old.. Currently our VIN # doesn't show that a sw update is available but we will kee! checking.
Mine show it is up to date on the web site. I was supposed to get the software updated when they added my AEV lift, but they were having problems downloading it. I still don't have the off road pages on the radio. Someday I'll get it updated.

I find if I don't connect the iPhone to the system until after the radio starts, it seems to work more often.

df007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara 2.0
Thank you. I don’t think it’s the wire. It always works with USB #1 and ISB #3 but it keeps switching off with USB #2. I prefer to use the USB 2 because it keep my wires and phone in the middle console and reduces the risk of my looking at the phone. I suspect that if it was a wire issue then it would consistently be a problem with the other USB hubs. I also tried 3 wires all that were OEM from Apple.
I have the exact same issue. Have you found a fix? Drops from port 2 intermittently, but same phone and cable work in 1 or 3, but plugging back into 2 does not work until the Jeep has been off for a while.

avei5150

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue
Vehicle Showcase
I occasionally have this issue as well. It usually works by using the usb outlet in the center console, but sometimes it'll stop and I have to use the dash outlet. I've had one morning where audio would not work on any outlet but CarPlay would show video from the phone but no Audio. No combination of rebooting the head unit, phone, different outlets would work. By the afternoon it was fine.

Sponsored

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
I have had my JLUR for 4 days now. The first two days CarPlay worked great but now it does not show up when I plug in my aux cord. I have the 8.4 Uconnect. I have tried multiple cords including genuine apple cords and also used multiple usb locations. The USB port is charging my phone just fine but CarPlay never comes up. Any help from the forum members would be great. Maybe someone has already figured this out. Thanks
I know I'm stating the obvious ...do you open the phone after connecting? When I connect mine I have to physically open the phone then the carplay will show up.

Sina’s Jeep

First Name
Sina
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93’ Wrangler & 2019 Rubicon JLU
I have the exact same issue. Have you found a fix? Drops from port 2 intermittently, but same phone and cable work in 1 or 3, but plugging back into 2 does not work until the Jeep has been off for a while.
I did find a fix. I went to the Apple store and purchased a new Apple wire. I also removed and re-inserted all of the fuses and relays – especially fuse F11, F51, and F102 – all of which are affiliated with the USB ports. This should help. Don't tell me why the new wire worked but it did. I never have problems with port 2 anymore.

Sina’s Jeep

First Name
Sina
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93’ Wrangler & 2019 Rubicon JLU
I know I'm stating the obvious ...do you open the phone after connecting? When I connect mine I have to physically open the phone then the carplay will show up.
There is a setting on the phone where car play can access your phone while it is locked.

Schism75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18’ JLU SAHARA
Mine was a total spaz but stopped after I seated my fuses. I doubt that was the cure but my fingers are crossed for now. That was about a week ago. My symptoms (7” screen) were switching from XM to Media back and forth. No screen freeze.

RockyMtJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon Unlimited
I have the 8.4" on my 2019 JLUR and have noticed that when I turn down the volume of the navigation voice that it won't stay down and that it keeps raising back to level 14. The same thing happens with both google maps and the apple maps app. Has anyone else had this issue? What did you do to fix it?

Sponsored

Jessi’s Jeep

First Name
Jessi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Sahara
I have 4 boys and they all want to charge their phones in my JLU is there a way to stop them all from showing up on my CarPlay?

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I have the 8.4" on my 2019 JLUR and have noticed that when I turn down the volume of the navigation voice that it won't stay down and that it keeps raising back to level 14. The same thing happens with both google maps and the apple maps app. Has anyone else had this issue? What did you do to fix it?
Hi, I'm sorry to hear this. Please let me know if you plan on visiting a dealership for this
concern. I would be happy to open a case for you.

Alison
JeepCares

S2k Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AP1 S2000, Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
Finance
Has anyone found a fix for the left steering wheel rocker switch working intermittently? It works fine advancing tracks about 75% of the time, but about 25% of the time I get in the Jeep and go to change tracks it doesn't work. And one time on a really long drive it stopped working in the middle of the drive. I've tried figuring out a pattern (start the Jeep then plug in the phone, plug in the phone then start the Jeep, etc etc) but no pattern I can detect. Also, turning the Jeep off/on and unplugging/replugging the phone doesn't work, Jeep has to be off for an extended period (5-10 min) to reset and have the switch start working again.

Other than that CP works just great, but really wish i could figure out this issue.
Sponsored