Sponsored

Question regarding the Windsheld defrost

rockadile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
I wish someone would 3d print some plastic clips for holes so we could block individual holes either alternating or picking our own pattern. I am looking to get a 3d printer for Christmas partly for this reason. Unfortunately I know nothing about 3d printing and how you mock up these kind of things.
Sponsored

rockadile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
Nice...first I am hearing of these. I've seen some of the other options and they all looked a bit hackey. I was hoping for something a bit more polished. I musta missed the thread that these were mentioned in.

thadius65

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon, , 2019 Honda Pilot Elite, 2014 BMW 535i Xdrive
The fit is about 90%+/-. Overall look isn't bad and seems to make a difference. Thought it hasn't been killer cold in Central PA yet.

Sponsored

Kraty1

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL
Occupation
Sales & Marketing
My JK has same problem in cold wet snow but the opening are a different size than the JL so the plugs won't fit. Cut the aluminum socket wrench holder in half and taped it down. Now works. A couple of the plugs on my JL pop up a little. Need to adjust them somehow.
@Kraty1 are you really driving down the road at 70 mph during snow/ice storm like you said?
only when it was raining, then when it changed to snow and or ice I usually slow down.

Joeymon1

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
The fit is about 90%+/-. Overall look isn't bad and seems to make a difference. Thought it hasn't been killer cold in Central PA yet.
I have those same plugs.
The air leaks around them and doesn't defuse enough to produce any real results. Also, when its cold in the morning, those plugs contract and the defrost blows them out of the holes. Doesn't work well but they do look nice.
I'm going to try gorilla taping various holes and if I find something that works, I'll figure out a permanent closure system.
Hard to believe it's necessary to mess with the front windshield defrost system on a 2019 vehicle.

thadius65

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I agree they are a tad loose, but I went from nearly nothing on left and right to a decent amount. But again, nothing really that cold yet.

OP
OP
maguro

maguro

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Punk'n JLUR
I wish someone would 3d print some plastic clips for holes so we could block individual holes either alternating or picking our own pattern. I am looking to get a 3d printer for Christmas partly for this reason. Unfortunately I know nothing about 3d printing and how you mock up these kind of things.
I was thinking the same thing. I have a 3D printer and thought I'd design some plugs in Fusion 3D to print.

Just haven't had the time... and the problem with the normal printing material (PLA) is that it's pretty weak against high temperatures. The heat from our vents would probably soften/deform the plugs and the airflow would have them flying all over the cabin.

Printing in ABS plastic would fix that but my $300 Creality printer might would probably have some issues until I upgrade its nozzle.

Maybe I can work on a prototype during my Xmas holidays...

rockadile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
I was thinking the same thing. I have a 3D printer and thought I'd design some plugs in Fusion 3D to print.

Just haven't had the time... and the problem with the normal printing material (PLA) is that it's pretty weak against high temperatures. The heat from our vents would probably soften/deform the plugs and the airflow would have them flying all over the cabin.

Printing in ABS plastic would fix that but my $300 Creality printer might would probably have some issues until I upgrade its nozzle.

Maybe I can work on a prototype during my Xmas holidays...
I thought plugs for alternating holes would be the way to go but based on the pics of what others are doing, maybe single pieces that block several holes may be the way to go.

Sponsored

NCIC105

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
If Jeep was going to fix this, they would have already recalled them. We first complained about this on the 2018 models.

thadius65

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FYI - since cold weather has started, i filled in those (4) holes. This still allows some leakage for the center, but pushes more out the right and left.

Kurlon

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4XE Rubicon, maybe?
Driving in today's storm, had to deal with this... 3 hours with the heat wound up to max, not an enjoyable drive.

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S (Gladys) - 89' Civic SI
Driving in today's storm, had to deal with this... 3 hours with the heat wound up to max, not an enjoyable drive.
buy a set of the black plugs off ebay, fixed my problem.
Sponsored