Sponsored

How easy is it to break into the soft top?

Mythos4sl

First Name
Nico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Hi everyone. My name is Nico and I’m new to this site. I love in Johannesburg, South Africa and I’m super excited for the new JL to hit our shores (not sure when that will happen but I’m guessing June/July )

I have a quick question and forgive me if this has been asked before.

In Johannesburg (Gangsters Paradise) there is a lot of robberies and breaking into Cars, my question is how easy is it to break into the soft top? Excluding cutting the canvas and windows. If the car is locked, can anyone just come along and open the roof at the back?Or does the tail gate have to be opened to open the soft top?

That for the help guys ..
Sponsored

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Hi everyone. My name is Nico and I’m new to this site. I love in Johannesburg, South Africa and I’m super excited for the new JL to hit our shores (not sure when that will happen but I’m guessing June/July )

I have a quick question and forgive me if this has been asked before.

In Johannesburg (Gangsters Paradise) there is a lot of robberies and breaking into Cars, my question is how easy is it to break into the soft top? Excluding cutting the canvas and windows. If the car is locked, can anyone just come along and open the roof at the back?Or does the tail gate have to be opened to open the soft top?

That for the help guys ..
Nico, I generally consider it bad custom to ask a poster, "why did you ask that," as opposed to answering their question.

But when you ask how hard it is to break into the soft top excluding the easiest way possible (cutting it) it gives me cause for pause. In this world, a chain is only as strong as its weakest link. Thieves will chose the fastest and easiest way to break in. Cue the knife, by no means in short supply in any locale, Johannesburg included.

Taking the top off without damaging it does require access to the Jeep, so maybe, just maybe someone interested in the vehicle's theft may want to think twice about tearing their brand new illegitimate asset's roof, or risk calling attention to themselves with the authorities while in transit.

But someone looking to steal property inside the rig is not to likely to be deterred for fear they may damage the vehicle in the process.

Last edited:

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
I hear / see this question all of the time. If somebody wants into ANY vehicle they are getting in. Even with a hard top just break the glass, grab, and run.

I would not feel less secure because I have a soft top. I would make sure anything valuable is not left in the Jeep or any car I would own period.

maguro

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Punk'n JLUR
That's the reason I got the hard top.

Of course it won't stop a determined thief but I was thinking more about wildlife while I have my car parked at a trailhead.

Speaking of wildlife, I recently had a herd of bighorn sheep surrounding my car as they licked the salt which was splattered over the exterior. I thought it was cool until I realized the rams with their huge horns were scratching the paint. It was just the clear coat but it kind of pissed me off.

Sponsored

Jeeptimus Prime

First Name
Bryant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUR
I think we can all agree the hard top is more secure. I know South Africa is a shit storm when it comes to stolen cars, break-ins, etc... so I would be shocked if JLs are offered in soft tops there...lol. In the States many say don't lock your doors on a soft top and keep you stuff in bolted down steel bins in order to avoid cut soft top but over there...totally different scenario.

Either way you go get a bolted down box in the back to store anything you want to keep. And wait?!? Don't yall have alarms with built-in flame throwers?!? ;)

OP
OP

Mythos4sl

First Name
Nico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
I think we can all agree the hard top is more secure. I know South Africa is a shit storm when it comes to stolen cars, break-ins, etc... so I would be shocked if JLs are offered in soft tops there...lol. In the States many say don't lock your doors on a soft top and keep you stuff in bolted down steel bins in order to avoid cut soft top but over there...totally different scenario.

Either way you go get a bolted down box in the back to store anything you want to keep. And wait?!? Don't yall have alarms with built-in flame throwers?!? ;)
We usually leave the lions in the back seat to protect the car.

Thanks for the information. As i see it, I always wanted to have a convertible 4x4. At the moment i drive a Ford ranger "pick up truck" ( we call them bakkies). They have never tried to cut open the back cover even though you can just pull it off and check whats in the back.

I never usually leave anything noticeable in the car that they can take but here in SA they steal the cars more often than try and take something thats lying around. Thats why i was wondering if it is easy to pull the back windows off while the car is locked to gain access into the vehicle.

I know with the JK with the zips it was very simple to unzip and crawl in. Now without the zips it makes it alittle harder.

But you guys have answered my question.... i still think i will go for the soft top. If they do steal my car i will just have to claim insurance :) ill be driving a new Wrangler every 6 months.

Thanks for all the help. I cant wait to get the new wrangler here. Ill send pics as soon as i get it ...

PavementWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL
It's that easy. Cut a hole and just slide the windows off/open. A hard top is much more secure
not at all, 1 second tops for hard top. in cities like SF its outta control, these kids smash and grab anything they can see in the vehicle. hard top difference is only glass repair vs soft top sliced through.

HotSpringsJL

First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL base sport
We bought a base JL with manual locks. My daughter locks the keys in the car and gets upset. I walk up to the soft top, pull the side window off like butter and she crawls in and gets the keys. If you have a soft top there is no reason to lock the doors. Its like having proximity entry for free.

Kevman

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara Granite Crystal, Audi A5
Breaking into a soft top could logically take more time because you have to cut/remove the windows to do it. A window takes less than a second to smash, get in, get out. Of course, they could also just smash your regular windows instead of going for the top.

I really wouldn't let the soft top stop me from getting it for security reasons. If there are thugs/hooligans around, then they'll mess with your car regardless of what it is.

Sponsored

i64X

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2018 Golf GTI SE, 2015 Ducati Diavel Carbon, 2019 Ducati Panigale 959 Corse, 2019 Yamaha Raptor 700SE
Vehicle Showcase
Breaking into a soft top could logically take more time because you have to cut/remove the windows to do it. A window takes less than a second to smash, get in, get out. Of course, they could also just smash your regular windows instead of going for the top.

I really wouldn't let the soft top stop me from getting it for security reasons. If there are thugs/hooligans around, then they'll mess with your car regardless of what it is.
Although this is true, smashing a window is a lot louder than cutting a top or pulling a soft window out of place. If a thief has the option to be quiet, he's going to take it.

Kevman

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara Granite Crystal, Audi A5
Although this is true, smashing a window is a lot louder than cutting a top or pulling a soft window out of place. If a thief has the option to be quiet, he's going to take it.
I guess the focus is too much on people wanting to steal things. My dad's GLC43 was parked in front of a very busy Uncle Julios Mexican Restaurant where he was getting takeout. A bunch of people vandalized his and other cars around during peak hours and broke his rear quarter window. 1200 buck replacement.

The bigger worry I think is someone just knifing your top just because. That would be my biggest worry because there are lots of unfortunate people in this world that would do that.

Jjirish

First Name
Jenne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep 392, 2024 Jeep 392, 2023 BMW X7C
Occupation
Lurking the forum
This is my steel box in my 2017 jk. I LOVE IT. the only way to steal anything is by opening the tail gate. There us no access from the cab. Technically its not a box, but a lid and back piece all bolted in. When i have my top on and do my weekly publix run i have two layers to stack the bags on. And to all the people who say "cut the soft top, unlock the doors and open the tail gate" nope. Tailgate only operates from a key, no the auto locks. I like those stupid expensive purses that guys dont understand and i bought the steel box just to lock them up in. Plus, my guy never has to worry when he carries his gun on trips. I like the top down as much as possible, and this box makes everything secure. Cant wait for them to a box for my JL.

20180223_112907.jpg

Jjirish

First Name
Jenne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep 392, 2024 Jeep 392, 2023 BMW X7C
Occupation
Lurking the forum
Sorry sooo many typos. I have not had my coffee yet. This will haunt me all day. Smh.
Sponsored