Sponsored

Beach driving

Rufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL Sport 3.6 V6
I’ve seen a couple of threads on this but I am interested in the experience of seasoned off-roaders here.

In the summer months I spend a lot of time in a beach community where I can get a permit to drive on to the beach. The approach to the beach is softer, deeper sand (several inches deep before it gets more packed), and a little bit of an uphill climb through some twists and turns. Closer to the water it is more packed of course. I would not compare the soft section to a significant sand dune like the kind found out west.

The traditional wisdom is to let air out of the tires down to about 15psi. There are even pumps where you leave the beach to reinflate your tires. When I drive my Tacoma out on the beach I let the air out, as do all of my friends in their JGCs, Surburbans, etc.

My question is: do you think that a 2dr JL Sport with the skinny 245/75R17 all-terrain tires (stock from the factory Bridgestone Dueler A/T) would need to have the air pressure reduced to 15 psi to avoid getting stuck, or do you think in 4wd it would be fine?

I ask because letting the air out takes a stop and some time, and then there’s usually a line a the pumps to restore the PSI to a road-going level.
Sponsored

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

the few times i ran in sand in the desert i ran at 30 PSI and didnt have any issues

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

the same exact stock tire. i just run 4hi and didnt have any issues. I've even pulled a 2012 1500 Silverado out of the sand. but always bring a strap jjjjjust in case. the time you leave it at home is the time you get stuck hehe

Sponsored

Gordon40

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
I have a summer house in a beach community and they have a drive on beach. I had no problem getting on the beach at all. I did have to use 4 LOW to get out of spot near the water up to the flatter ground though.

5adventurers

First Name
Shelton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2015 Toyota 4Runner, 1991 Toyota Pickup
As someone who has spent a LOT of time beach driving both with modified and non modified Jeeps, Toyotas etc. From 4 cyl. to V8s. ALWAYS air down. Save the transmission, save the motor. It's just easier on the vehicle even IF the vehicle handles it easily. I used to sometimes not air down when I was younger.....as I began to care more about the durability of my vehicle and not being "too cool" to air down I just air down. My Rubicon on 37s will get aired down

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I run door seal PSI in super soft sand without issue in 4H. I don’t mess with that airing down bologna. I’m sure it helps but never made a difference for me. I go nearly all year round about every other weekend here in Florida. I’d say I’m seasoned enough to make my statement.

Edit I should mention I am running 34” NITTO Ridge Grapplers though..

OP
OP

Rufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL Sport 3.6 V6
As someone who has spent a LOT of time beach driving both with modified and non modified Jeeps, Toyotas etc. From 4 cyl. to V8s. ALWAYS air down. Save the transmission, save the motor. It's just easier on the vehicle even IF the vehicle handles it easily. I used to sometimes not air down when I was younger.....as I began to care more about the durability of my vehicle and not being "too cool" to air down I just air down. My Rubicon on 37s will get aired down
Good point, I guess though that for me my beach driving every time that I do it is maybe 1 mile at the most, so I don’t know how much wear and tear airing down prevents for such a short period of activity.

Sponsored

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Good point, I guess though that for me my beach driving every time that I do it is maybe 1 mile at the most, so I don’t know how much wear and tear airing down prevents for such a short period of activity.
It prevents none. No one is driving 40 miles of soft sand beaches lol I’m like you 1 to 3 mile stretch max lol

I think a better “prevention” tip concerning beach runs would be to ALWAYS wash your undercarriage afterwards. Now that’s something you don’t want to be “too cool” to do lol

To each their own though!

Cheers mate!

Mru1975

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
FB_IMG_1564099557269.jpg
25 mile run in Washington, drove the entire length in 4 hi without any issue. It never felt like it would bog down (most of the sand is pretty compacted tho)

johnnymiz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
you wont do any damage to the truck with that little amount of beach driving at full pressure....and it will probably do just fine as long as youre smooth with the skinny pedal.
BUT, if you feel it is starting to bog down, STOP and air down before you start to dig a hole.
once you air down, dont go forward... back up 10 feet, then go forward.
it will be far easier on the jeep

Ogre_FL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 2 Door Sport S, 2021 Gladiator 80th
I have a beach area access with a decent incline (by Florida standards) and a sharp turn in the middle that is real soft sugar sand.
I have run up & down it with the stock all season minivan tires aired up in 4WD with no issues at all.

IMO the 2 door spreads its weight well and hooks up.
With my bigger AT tires I often don't even bother with 4WD in conditions where I have had to use 4WD in pick ups and longer SUV's

If it was me, I sure as heck would try if it really is just a short section.
IF you have problems, I agree with @johnnymiz above.