Steering Feels Loose and or Wander

Sswrangler03

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I have the same problem with the steering I will be starting the lemon law process. But the catch is that as long and the dealership and FCA are beating the law by stating "there is no problem, very sloppy steering is normal"
2 week old JLUR
I have had other wranglers including the 03 rubicon. There is certainly an issue with the steering system in the 19.
I am doing the same thing with starting a case. I already called a lawyer. I’m taking it to another dealer and a third party certified Jeep shop after that just to get some traction for the case. But hopefully this second dealer shop is more understanding. We can’t start a case until at least one dealer shop acknowledges the issue on paper. I tried to get my dealer to put in writing that he said it was the tires also. He refused up and down and even denied saying that. If they say it’s the tires then why don’t they offer to swap them for something else. They know if this gets out to far they will need to recall all of the wranglers. Bad news for them. So they are doing their best to cover it up. I’m not going to quit. I have an entire year or 12,000 miles to get one dealer to acknowledge the problem. Then boom. Lemon process and possible class action lawsuit. All of this just to have them replace about three parts in the steering system! Haha. The service managers seem to have poor morals by a ticking up for Chrysler more than the safety of their customers and other drivers around them. Frustrating and sad.
Sponsored

Kidder212

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 2.0L turbo
The reason all dealers say “it normal” is because the shop hours are paid at a very low rate from the manufacturer. Shop rates range from $100-200ish, the manufacturer my only pay $50/hr for repair only maybe not even pay for a diagnostic. So it is in the shops best interest to tell you it is normal just to have you return out of warranty so they make money on the parts and the full labor rate. Rape the customers is a more profitable business plan. I am sure if you took the Jeep in out of the warranty period and paid the shop’s full shop rate, you would be amazed at how many things they could find to repair

JeepRider10

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon Unlimited
I like many others are interested in your plight. I have pretty much the same problem. The dealership is stating it drives like all other JL Wranglers. I had made the appointment thru Jeep Cares and the Jeep Cares person was aware of the STAR case. When I mentioned to the Service Manager that the STAR case says to drive a known good vehicle, I has her to pick any vehicle on the lot and lets drive it so we can see that mine drives just like it. She refusted and told me to go to the dearlership where I boght it. I have spoken to the Jeep Cares representative handling my case and am waiting to hear back. The newer onese all have the bigger track bar etc. I am thinking it is really a problem with the steering box. But I am no expert so I am just dancing to the tune Jeep plays. Until we all get together and start a class action suit and get the NTSB involved I am afraid we will just keep getting the run around. I am thinking Jeep is attempting to circumvent the Lemon Law by stating "there is no issue".

DWS44

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toy Box: 2022 JLUR 392 + '17 C7 GS & '21 C8 Vettes
Occupation
CAD/IT Manager (Civil/Airport Design)
She refusted and told me to go to the dearlership where I boght it.
Once a service department plays the "you should have bought it here" card, you might as well go find another service department if you have another in reasonable distance. Sad that some service departments take this approach, but there are certainly many that do. Once a service department takes that stance, I don't much trust them to take very good care of a vehicle of mine anyways, let alone an ordeal like the JL steering/wandering.

Bryblu6

First Name
Brysen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Ever since I drove my Jeep JL off of the dealer lot I had a problem with the steering feeling loose.

I've read countless post on this forum relating to the same issue and countless videos on youtube as well.

My master mechanic at my dealer and JeepCares states that my problem is due to the fact that I installed aftermarket wheels and tires.
Note: I installed the same size tire that comes on production Rubicon models.
The mechanic states that the wandering and the Jeep Wandering all over the road at heavy braking is due to my aftermarket tires and wheels.

What do you all have to say about that? I'm curious as to your opinions.

I also advised them and brought a copy of Service Bulletin S1819000003 with me and have messaged JeepCares about the problem with the Case Number included.

They are refusing to acknowledge the problem!

Other issues with my JL:
1) Frequently lose power to my radio
2) Starter drive skipping on flexplate
3) Detonation at low RPM's (fixed that by using 93 octane)
4) Transmission makes a loud clanking noise moving from Park to Reverse/Drive (under low RPM's...Idle/500RPM)

*** The rear axle has been popping. After careful research, many Jeep owners like myself have found out that the bearings/associated parts in rear axle are failing ***
After four days at the dealer and the mechanic telling me there was nothing wrong with my Jeep, I took a test drive with him and sure enough the rear axle was popping/clunking consistently.

I called and emailed JeepCare yesterday. No return calls from dealer or JeepCares. Today I had to drive to the dealer and saw my Jeep parked in the parking lot. I approached the Service Agent handling my vehicle and he advised me that they ordered new bearings for the rear axle. I was on the phone with JeepCares at that time and the Service Agent refused to speak with him (JeepCare Rep) or myself and walked away.

Sponsored

Bryblu6

First Name
Brysen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
I'm having the same issue with excessive play in the steering and big time drifting with my 2018 JLU Sahara.
Took it to the dealership this past Wednesday and they told me it was within spec and they compared it to two other vehicles. I know it's baloney because my bestfriend has a 2019 JL Rubicon that drives correctly, no play and one of my work colleagues has a 2018 JL Sport with no issues. All 3 are same factory height, and the Sport and I have same exact factory tires. Rubi has factory tires too. None of them have mods yet.
I have seen multiple videos about it and the guy who actually got his fixed said that it was a factory steering calibration issue. The JLU's are being calibrated the same as the 2drs. He said his was fixed when they did a power train control module update as part of a recall.
My dealer pretty much told me I was not a Chrysler mechanic and to leave it to the pros. I LOVE my rig, but it's not safe at highway speed, which I do a fair amount of so I want to pursue this until it's fixed. For what we all paid for our rides...this is bs. I have 3500k on mine, bought this past April.
Can anyone tell me how to connect with Jeep cares...cuz my dealer sure as shit doesn't.

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I'm having the same issue with excessive play in the steering and big time drifting with my 2018 JLU Sahara.
Took it to the dealership this past Wednesday and they told me it was within spec and they compared it to two other vehicles. I know it's baloney because my bestfriend has a 2019 JL Rubicon that drives correctly, no play and one of my work colleagues has a 2018 JL Sport with no issues. All 3 are same factory height, and the Sport and I have same exact factory tires. Rubi has factory tires too. None of them have mods yet.
I have seen multiple videos about it and the guy who actually got his fixed said that it was a factory steering calibration issue. The JLU's are being calibrated the same as the 2drs. He said his was fixed when they did a power train control module update as part of a recall.
My dealer pretty much told me I was not a Chrysler mechanic and to leave it to the pros. I LOVE my rig, but it's not safe at highway speed, which I do a fair amount of so I want to pursue this until it's fixed. For what we all paid for our rides...this is bs. I have 3500k on mine, bought this past April.
Can anyone tell me how to connect with Jeep cares...cuz my dealer sure as shit doesn't.
Click this link - @JeepCares then click on the private message link.

PWMDMD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
What dealer are you going to? If you're in my area, Ft Lauderdale, they all pretty much suck so just curious if you've encountered the same ones I have
My dealer wouldn't apply the STAR case to my Wrangler either. When I said the loaner Wrangler didn't have any dead-space their reply was my stock Rubicon KO2s were the issue and told me to leave.
I've never read so many posts, regardless of brand, about dealerships who clearly see the customer as the enemy with the goal of doing as little as possible to help their customers. This seems especially true while the vehicles are under warranty. The excuses dealers give as justification for not fixing items under warranty are most telling. The end result is a particularly terrible combination of the actual vehicles being hunks of shit with a dealer network who doesn't want to (know how to) fix them.

HiJinx69

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited JL, 2014 Mazda 6, 2010 Honda Odyssey, Yamaha FZ-09
If I was in your shoes, I would ask your friend with the Sport to go to the dealer with you and have them drive both yours and his. Comparing apples to apples. Maybe this will open their eyes and get you closer to a remedy.

Sponsored

JLU-Riptide

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
The excessive wandering in the steering is likely caused by a low caster angle. The caster should be 5-5.8 degrees to have tight steering. Mine was 3 degrees. My dealership ordered adjustable control arms so they could get mine back in the 5 degree range. They also ordered a heavier duty steering stabilizer to go a step above. These two things will get your steering very tight and enjoyable to drive.

DWS44

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toy Box: 2022 JLUR 392 + '17 C7 GS & '21 C8 Vettes
Occupation
CAD/IT Manager (Civil/Airport Design)
I've never read so many posts, regardless of brand, about dealerships who clearly see the customer as the enemy with the goal of doing as little as possible to help their customers.
You must be lucky in terms of the dealer service departments you have around you to work with. Hang around some message boards of GM owners, and you hear about this sort of thing quite a bit as well.

While, so far, I've actually been treated fairly well by the Jeep dealer who has worked on my JL, I've had enough bad experiences across several makes that I generally don't trust any dealership service department as far as I can throw them.

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I've never read so many posts, regardless of brand, about dealerships who clearly see the customer as the enemy with the goal of doing as little as possible to help their customers. This seems especially true while the vehicles are under warranty. The excuses dealers give as justification for not fixing items under warranty are most telling. The end result is a particularly terrible combination of the actual vehicles being hunks of shit with a dealer network who doesn't want to (know how to) fix them.
You must be lucky in terms of the dealer service departments you have around you to work with. Hang around some message boards of GM owners, and you hear about this sort of thing quite a bit as well.

While, so far, I've actually been treated fairly well by the Jeep dealer who has worked on my JL, I've had enough bad experiences across several makes that I generally don't trust any dealership service department as far as I can throw them.
Jeep, Dodge, Ram, Fiat (FCA) rank last in customer satisfaction per the latest JD Powers survey 2018 - https://www.jdpower.com/business/press-releases/jd-power-2018-us-customer-service-index-study In case Jeep cares - @JeepCares

Screen Shot 2019-07-13 at 10.10.56 AM.png

PWMDMD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep

I've driven Acura, Honda, Toyota, Lexus, Audi, Subaru, Volvo and Mazda with very few problems (bad A/C blower bearings, failed rear differential seal, EGR valve failure) but when I did have a problem I just brought it to the dealer and they quickly diagnosed and fixed the issue - without trying to blame me for the failure or pretending they couldn't hear the knocking sound when the AC blower fan was on or the differential leak is my fault because there was mud on the underside of the car so clearly I was abusing the vehicle or just reset the check engine light and say they couldn't reproduce the issue. The stories on here are horrendous and entirely consistent with the JD Power results quoted above. Clearly FCA has a systemic problem with how their dealerships handle service.

Last edited:

Ben

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon (White)
The excessive wandering in the steering is likely caused by a low caster angle. The caster should be 5-5.8 degrees to have tight steering. Mine was 3 degrees. My dealership ordered adjustable control arms so they could get mine back in the 5 degree range. They also ordered a heavier duty steering stabilizer to go a step above. These two things will get your steering very tight and enjoyable to drive.
I agree. I bought the Mopar extended control arms which got me to 6.7 degrees of caster and steering improved 75%. Steering feels a lot tighter and heavier. Had alignment toe in to .20 degrees. Everything else us stock on 18 JL Rubi. Save yourself the headache of the dealership. For $30/ arm x 2 + labor, this will get you steering straight.
Sponsored