First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
so i did a mpg observation with the ess and without sss. both with a full tank of gas. equal (pretty much dead on) driving conditions (town). i have the jl sport 2 doorwith 3.6, 8 spd auto with 3.45 gears.. so here's the break down:

with ess
days: 16
mileage range:280
avg. mpg: 18.8
miles till empty: 23 =3.5 gal.
total gals to full: 14

without ess
mileage range:237
avg. mpg: 17.4

so with that, using the ess would be good for the long run in increasing mpg, fuel range and fuel cost.
Sponsored

jmcdtucson

First Name
Jerel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the analysis! That's worth it. The only time I turn it off is occasionally in heavy stop/go traffic it gets annoying

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
so i did a mpg observation with the ess and without sss. both with a full tank of gas. equal (pretty much dead on) driving conditions (town). i have the jl sport 2 doorwith 3.6, 8 spd auto with 3.45 gears.. so here's the break down:

with ess
mileage range:280
avg. mpg: 18.8

without ess
mileage range:237
avg. mpg: 17.4

so with that, using the ess would be good for the long run in increasing mpg, fuel range and fuel cost.
Aweome. I never had the patience to do a test of my own. I just get antsy if the Jeep doesn't autostop, I'm so used to it now.

Snayte

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara Hella Yella, 2017 Ram 1500 Longhorn
18.8 is the exact number I get with the ESS on. Nice to have confirmation that it is saving me fuel. I am very unlucky with traffic lights so I spend a lot of time with the engine stopped.

Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
1.4 mpg is not worth the hassle and annoyance for me so mine’s disabled. But your mileage may vary!
It all depends on where you live I guess. Way out in the country where you have a stop sign or two it won't do much but in town with long stop lights it works great.

Djmatt85

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JL Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
With a manual, I like having the ability to control when it shuts off. I think if the engine is stopped for less than a few seconds, it doesn’t help save any fuel.
Definitely helpful while sitting for a minute at a light though.

Uhdinator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport HT 2.0T Auto, 2003 TJ Rubicon HT
Vehicle Showcase
Even if it only saves you 5 gal a year (x250,000 JL's on the road)
It saves a lot of fuel overall...
Now add in all the fuel saved by other makes, models with this feature. Its a considerable amount.
FCA didn't do it to save the individual owner so much as the big picture. Reduces pollution as well.

Crawdad1028

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport 6 speed with rubi axles, lockers, RCVs, trusses, and 5.13s
Vehicle Showcase
I've been leaving mine on lately in my manual and I don't really mind it because by the time I have the clutch pushed in it's ready to go but most of the time at a red light it will shut off and randomly start back up about 15 seconds later. Anybody have an idea why it would do that? Seems to be defeating the purpose of any fuel savings.

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
I've been leaving mine on lately in my manual and I don't really mind it because by the time I have the clutch pushed in it's ready to go but most of the time at a red light it will shut off and randomly start back up about 15 seconds later. Anybody have an idea why it would do that? Seems to be defeating the purpose of any fuel savings.
Mine does that when it's fairly hot (or cold) out - OM lists this as a reason that Autostop will be inhibited...
"Cabin heating or cooling is in process and an acceptable cabin temperature has not been achieved."

Sponsored

Aranimus

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S
Thanks for the analysis! This is the first vehicle I've owned with ESS. I don't mind it, except in one instance: When I pull into my driveway and stop, it sometimes shuts the engine off before I put it in park (automatic). So basically, it restarts the engine just for me to put it into park. Sighs.

TheEddie

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Even if it only saves you 5 gal a year (x250,000 JL's on the road)
It saves a lot of fuel overall...
Now add in all the fuel saved by other makes, models with this feature. Its a considerable amount.
FCA didn't do it to save the individual owner so much as the big picture. Reduces pollution as well.
And what about batteries and starters lost along the way? I read the average mpg gain is 6% which is approx 1mpg. Everytime the Jeep shuts and starts in stop and go I cringe and then hit the disable button. Yes I know you can feather the pedal but that doesn't work on anything resembling a slight hill. I'll be ordering a tuner to disable it.

ArchAngel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Appreciate the analysis very much. Good to know it’s not that big of a change. Definitely not enough for me to embrace the delayed takeoff and rolling back on hills like a bad manual driver stalling out. It’s a two button press start up for me every time to disable this abomination.

YYCSahara

First Name
BDLL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara 2.0T
I always leave it on. Used to it pretty much. I am just over 22 mpg around the city. I took in on a highway run and it doesnt do much better but that is going about 75-80 mph.

Uhdinator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport HT 2.0T Auto, 2003 TJ Rubicon HT
Vehicle Showcase
And what about batteries and starters lost along the way? I read the average mpg gain is 6% which is approx 1mpg. Everytime the Jeep shuts and starts in stop and go I cringe and then hit the disable button. Yes I know you can feather the pedal but that doesn't work on anything resembling a slight hill. I'll be ordering a tuner to disable it.
Batteries and starters can be recycled. I'm not trying to sell it to anyone. Just an observation as to why auto mfr's have developed the technology. The other reason likely is they probably get a monetary advantage for acting like they care.
Sponsored