Rear side window just broke

Schwabe

First Name
Dominic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited MOAB
Wife just closed the driver door and the rear side window blew out on our '19 JLU MOAB with the sky one touch roof. It is one of the windows you can take out. I guess too much pressure but …. daaang.

Anybody seen that before?
signal-2019-06-12-135327.jpg
signal-2019-06-12-135554.jpg
signal-2019-06-12-135605.jpg
signal-2019-06-12-135640.jpg
signal-2019-06-12-135658.jpg
Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Probably has nothing to do with pressure, the cabin is vented. It likely had a flaw on an edge and the physical shock was enough to get the crack to propagate.Tempered glass loves to shatter. Glass damage is rather unfortunate, as it is very difficult to get covered under warranty as they can simply claim is was struck by something.

Edit: Nevermind, the glass clearly broke from the middle. Who knows.

Last edited:

ATX_Runner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
DIVORCE!!!!!!

Just kidding!

I'm sorry that happened. I have a Sky One Touch as well so will be monitoring.

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
Normal for MOABs
That is redicules considering this is a new model (with only a handful on the road) with the one touch top. How is this normal or just MOAB envy

Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
That is redicules considering this is a new model (with only a handful on the road) with the one touch top. How is this normal or just MOAB envy
An obvious joke. That's what a window looks like when you shoot it with a BB gun.

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
An obvious joke. That's what a window looks like when you shoot it with a BB gun.
Maybe a shotgun, BB's do not explode the entire window. How was that an "obvious joke"? where is the punchline.

cbrenthus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR
I've had that happen to me 3 or 4 times so far, always when I ripped a massive one with the windows up. I think Jeep designed it that way so you don't hotbox the interior by accident - stupid nanny state. You might want to ask your wife what she had for lunch ;)

Ma$$iveDebtAche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
To me, it looks like a defective piece of glass. Especially the way the top and bottom corners shattered. If it was just the middle, it would look like it was hit.
Take it to a dealership. See if it will be cover under your warranty.

Sponsored

TaxPhan

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Black Sahara
Occupation
VP of Tax
I've had that happen to me 3 or 4 times so far, always when I ripped a massive one with the windows up. I think Jeep designed it that way so you don't hotbox the interior by accident - stupid nanny state. You might want to ask your wife what she had for lunch ;)
Best witty reply for the day, lol. Sorry to the OP though, as it could and still might happen to any of us.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
To me, it looks like a defective piece of glass. Especially the way the top and bottom corners shattered. If it was just the middle, it would look like it was hit.
Take it to a dealership. See if it will be cover under your warranty.
It’s not laminated the same way windshield glass is. A crack in these windows will cause the whole thing to shatter, it’s surprising that any of it is still holding together.

Maybe a shotgun, BB's do not explode the entire window. How was that an "obvious joke"? where is the punchline.
Like hell they won’t, this isn’t windshield glass. Trust me, even a cheap single pump BB gun will knock the glass out.

Oh, and the punchline was “MOAB”.

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2022 Rivian R1T
I thought the Jeep designed the windshield with that safety feature.

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

Damn. I wonder if the rear venting is blocked in the back door.? That’s kinda crazy to see! But I agree the window edges look weird
Sponsored