UNC Rubicon

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Billet Silver JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I saw that as well but I wanted to make sure it was a new product. I haven't heard of anyone here getting one specifically for the JL.
A month or so back, a rep from donerightled stated they would be releasing a JL specific model in the coming weeks. At that time there was no JL option on their website. Now, there is.

I suppose you could call them to double check but I would feel comfortable ordering it.

SeanD

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Rubicon, 2013 Acura RDX
Vehicle Showcase
A month or so back, a rep from donerightled stated they would be releasing a JL specific model in the coming weeks. At that time there was no JL option on their website. Now, there is.

I suppose you could call them to double check but I would feel comfortable ordering it.
I can attest that the JL version is legit and works extremely well. I mentioned in an earlier post in this thread that I corresponded with the company and they sent me one of the new versions (with the power cord on the drivers side). It fits perfectly and the cable can be routed through the plastic wire cover on the rear glass, through the fiberglass top itself, and out where the wiper tube and wiring harness are - this is a super clean install if you go that route. From there you can hardwire it into the 12v supply on the driver's side. Hard wiring it into the dome light on the driver's side is more difficult than if you wired it on the passenger side, so if you want to do the dome light wiring option, I'd recommend just getting the previous non-JL version that has the wire on the passenger side. I've wired both now.

LouNYC

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
I can attest that the JL version is legit and works extremely well. I mentioned in an earlier post in this thread that I corresponded with the company and they sent me one of the new versions (with the power cord on the drivers side). It fits perfectly and the cable can be routed through the plastic wire cover on the rear glass, through the fiberglass top itself, and out where the wiper tube and wiring harness are - this is a super clean install if you go that route. From there you can hardwire it into the 12v supply on the driver's side. Hard wiring it into the dome light on the driver's side is more difficult than if you wired it on the passenger side, so if you want to do the dome light wiring option, I'd recommend just getting the previous non-JL version that has the wire on the passenger side. I've wired both now.

Thanks. I already have installed in my Jeep. I also snaked it through plastic and then through hard top. I just do not like the way it sits on rear glass. Going to buy a new one.

Sponsored

SeanD

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks. I already have installed in my Jeep. I also snaked it through plastic and then through hard top. I just do not like the way it sits on rear glass. Going to buy a new one.
I was in the same boat - didn't like the fitment on the window. The JL version fits perfect on the rear glass and it's nice to have on a switch. I actually kept the JK version and mounted it at the very top corner of the hardtop, with the wiring on the passenger side into the dome light. The curve fit that location perfectly, I could hide the cable in the passenger corner of the hardtop along the edge of my headliner side window insert, and it's in a better location to cast light throughout the cargo area when the doors/rear gate is open. Best of both worlds.

coachgrinnan

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
So I installed mine. But I think I put the plugs back wrong in the lighter plug. There are three holes in the rear of the lighter. Can someone post a pic of the rear of your lighter, please?

James_a

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Rubicon, 2018 JLU Rubicon
yes, exactly

There are 2 wires going into the cigarette lighter (in the diagram below its the "power supply). The black ground wire gets tapped into and goes to both the switch ground and the light.

The other wire gets tapped to your switch.

Then the red wire on the brawlee light gets connected to the third point on the switch.

round-rocker-switch-connection-wiring-how-to-option-1.jpg
I'm considering adding a Brawlee light inside my cab for more light but I have a quick question. I'm not electrically challenged when it comes to homes but when it comes to wiring my car I am.

In the diagram the 12v power supply that's taped directly supplies the switch. Does that mean an in-line fuse is unnecessary and the wire can handle a direct connection? Also is there any requirements for the switch used e.g. amp rating?

Any input would be appreciated

James_a

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just installed my Brawlee LED light and did the wiring and switch a little different. I wanted choices on how the light was operated, so I found a cheap 3/4 hole mount double throw center off switch and wired position 1 to operated the light with the dome light, position 2 to manually turn the light on and center off to disable the light. Install went well and switch looks good, I did remove the Brawlee adhesive and added my own to the opposite side so the curvature would be right for the cable to be on the drivers side.

RZKZZ3n4g4u6U8MAANcckKnTbCeFS3gAIV4KfWYM-XFwtgV0Pj1RVPWWN0e7J35OWuOWhs_EATiUpBmx6h4=w445-h915-no.jpg
I really like that you hooked to the dome light on the driver side. Where did you tap the dome light? At the light? Looking at the threads I see most people tapping into the dome lights on the passenger side.

Reason why I ask is I will be installing a Diabolic Slipstream cargo unit and so will not have access from the hardtop to the dome light wiring on the passenger side. The slipstream has an access port for hardtop wiring but only on the driver side.

I'm planning how I'm going to wire this up while I wait for my Brawlee to be delivered.

Any advice would be very appreciated!

SeanD

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I really like that you hooked to the dome light on the driver side. Where did you tap the dome light? At the light? Looking at the threads I see most people tapping into the dome lights on the passenger side.

Reason why I ask is I will be installing a Diabolic Slipstream cargo unit and so will not have access from the hardtop to the dome light wiring on the passenger side. The slipstream has an access port for hardtop wiring but only on the driver side.

I'm planning how I'm going to wire this up while I wait for my Brawlee to be delivered.

Any advice would be very appreciated!
The dome light is a bit more effort to access from the driver's side, but can be done. Attached are the wiring instructions for the JL/JLU version of the Brawlee light which shows how to get to the dome light from the driver's side. It requires removing the plastic moldings/covers on the roll cage up to the dome light itself.

Attachments

Sponsored

James_a

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The dome light is a bit more effort to access from the driver's side, but can be done. Attached are the wiring instructions for the JL/JLU version of the Brawlee light which shows how to get to the dome light from the driver's side. It requires removing the plastic moldings/covers on the roll cage up to the dome light itself.
Thank you!

That is exactly what I needed.

CO_Mojito

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Turbo Mojito
Occupation
IT Enterprise Systems Architect
Vehicle Showcase
I wired mine to the dome light but I mounted it backwards from the instructions. I wanted to run the wire along the plastic, and I figured that by having the disconnect by the 12v i could swap between the dome for normal use, and the 12v when I wanted to leave it on for an extended period of time. I used some extra 3m double sided tape, and then some nice clamps to keep the bar flat, and it's been fine for months.

James_a

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just installed mine, love this thing. SO BRIGHT. Little suggestion to everyone wiring this, you can actually very easily route the wire into the hardtop where the wiper tube goes into and fish it out where the other disconnects come out, makes for a much cleaner install without the clips and wire showing at all on the window or on the inside of the hard top. Decided to put my switch in a slightly different location than the OP so it doesn't get bumped by cargo since my switch didn't have a cover.

IMG_2886.jpg

IMG_2887.jpg

IMG_2888.jpg

IMG_2889.jpg

IMG_2890.jpg

IMG_2891.jpg
For those that routed the wire into the hardtop how exactly did you do that? Did you run the line you used for fishing from the bottom up or the top down? How did you get the wires past the connectors on the top? Did you pull off the plastic surround where the wires go into the hardtop on top, if so how?

I ask because I thought I would try this today and tried fishing form the top down. When I tried where the wiring goes into the hardtop I couldn't get the line i was using to fish with by the connector on top. I considered trying to take off the surround but was worried I would break it....I also tried to fish the line from where the windshield wiper goes into the hardtop on top but I could only get the line as far as the electrical connections on top and could go no further. So I'm stuck at this point...

Any input on how this is done would be appreciated.

SeanD

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
For those that routed the wire into the hardtop how exactly did you do that? Did you run the line you used for fishing from the bottom up or the top down? How did you get the wires past the connectors on the top? Did you pull off the plastic surround where the wires go into the hardtop on top, if so how?

I ask because I thought I would try this today and tried fishing form the top down. When I tried where the wiring goes into the hardtop I couldn't get the line i was using to fish with by the connector on top. I considered trying to take off the surround but was worried I would break it....I also tried to fish the line from where the windshield wiper goes into the hardtop on top but I could only get the line as far as the electrical connections on top and could go no further. So I'm stuck at this point...

Any input on how this is done would be appreciated.
The black plastic surrounds (large one at the bottom and the small one at the top) both pop out easily. You can carefully use a screwdriver or better yet get some cheap plastic trim tools from HF. That will give you plenty of room to guide the cable from the top port over to the right, then down to the bottom. Removing those ports is the key, so you can get your hand in there and help fish it through. You could also use a fish tape from the bottom up, but I didn't need to on mine.

@paulr has the hardtop liner that covers his ports, so that may be a little more involved to remove so you can pop out the plastic ports. I don't have that back liner on mine.

James_a

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The black plastic surrounds (large one at the bottom and the small one at the top) both pop out easily. You can carefully use a screwdriver or better yet get some cheap plastic trim tools from HF. That will give you plenty of room to guide the cable from the top port over to the right, then down to the bottom. Removing those ports is the key, so you can get your hand in there and help fish it through. You could also use a fish tape from the bottom up, but I didn't need to on mine.

@paulr has the hardtop liner that covers his ports, so that may be a little more involved to remove so you can pop out the plastic ports. I don't have that back liner on mine.
Perfect timing I was just about to work on this. Thanks!
Sponsored