Tailgate Brawlee LED light

James_a

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Rubicon, 2018 JLU Rubicon
The black plastic surrounds (large one at the bottom and the small one at the top) both pop out easily. You can carefully use a screwdriver or better yet get some cheap plastic trim tools from HF. That will give you plenty of room to guide the cable from the top port over to the right, then down to the bottom. Removing those ports is the key, so you can get your hand in there and help fish it through. You could also use a fish tape from the bottom up, but I didn't need to on mine.

@paulr has the hardtop liner that covers his ports, so that may be a little more involved to remove so you can pop out the plastic ports. I don't have that back liner on mine.
Thanks again Sean for all your input!

I completed my install today with a few personal touches. Brawlee led strip on the glass and an LED strip on the the top of the cab. The LED strip in the cab is glued onto a velcro strip with the other half of the velcro adhered to the headliner with iron on Velcro.

Both lights are controlled by switches with the LED in the cab tapped into the dome light and the brawlee tapped into the 12v supply. Both switches have red LED rings powered by the dome light so their only lit when the dome light is on.

All the wiring is as hidden as possible.

upload_2019-3-12_23-15-51.jpeg

upload_2019-3-12_23-16-19.jpeg

upload_2019-3-12_23-16-42.jpeg
Sponsored

SeanD

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Rubicon, 2013 Acura RDX
Vehicle Showcase
Happy to help! Looks great...nice job. That little recessed area is convenient and should protect the switches pretty well from cargo bumping into them and accidentally turning them on.

James_a

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Rubicon, 2018 JLU Rubicon
Happy to help! Looks great...nice job. That little recessed area is convenient and should protect the switches pretty well from cargo bumping into them and accidentally turning them on.
Yeah that recess is at the perfect spot. I just started working on installing a slipstream cargo unit and that's still an accessible spot and the led's on the switches will allow me to see them when everything is covered up.

Makosdad

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JLU Ocean Blue
Installed in 19 JLU, they improved the tape to a full strip pf 3M which makes adhesion to window trim very secure. I hardwired pulling power from lighter and installed switch in the cut out right below . . . looks great and recess makes it secure

IMG_7990.jpg

IMG_7991.jpg

IMG_7992.jpg

IMG_7993.jpg

IMG_7994.jpg

IMG_7995.jpg

IMG_7997.jpg

IMG_7998.jpg

Sponsored

TheJoker

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
So, I finished up my install. I installed a rocker switch and a reed switch. So, the light shuts off, automatically, when the tailgate is closed. I used a neodymium magnet epoxied to the tailgate, instead of the supplied contact. I think it turned out well.

ProjectJL

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
So, I finished up my install. I installed a rocker switch and a reed switch. So, the light shuts off, automatically, when the tailgate is closed. I used a neodymium magnet epoxied to the tailgate, instead of the supplied contact. I think it turned out well.

Could you post the parts and diagram for this?

Scarr2k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR
I installed mine over the weekend. Really improves the lighting 10x!!!!

IMG_0536.jpeg

IMG_0539.jpeg

IMG_0550.jpeg
Can I ask how you fished the power wire of the Brawlee down the washer tube hole? What did you use? Also does the plastic housing at the top near the glass for the washer tube just pop off? Seemed glued.

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
Can I ask how you fished the power wire of the Brawlee down the washer tube hole? What did you use? Also does the plastic housing at the top near the glass for the washer tube just pop off? Seemed glued.
In my blog you can see more pics https://www.myjlproject.com/blog/brawlee-light-for-rear-window/

The light comes with different end types. You have a cig lighter plug, and one fore direct wiring. So I used that directly wired to to the wire that supplies the rear 12v plug with a switch tied in.

Sponsored

threeve

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Occupation
Code Monkey
The black plastic trim on both the top where the wire enters the top from the windshield and on the side where the wires exit the hard top are just held in by clips molded into the plastic. Push up then pull down to disengage the clips, or use a trim tool to pry them loose gently, you shouldn't damage anything if you do it carefully. With the black plastic pulled free you don't really need to "fish" the wire down the side of the top, I just pushed it through and was able to grab it with my hand.

Scarr2k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR
The black plastic trim on both the top where the wire enters the top from the windshield and on the side where the wires exit the hard top are just held in by clips molded into the plastic. Push up then pull down to disengage the clips, or use a trim tool to pry them loose gently, you shouldn't damage anything if you do it carefully. With the black plastic pulled free you don't really need to "fish" the wire down the side of the top, I just pushed it through and was able to grab it with my hand.
Awesome thank you. I got the windshield water cover off easily and it was very simple at that point to fish the Brawlee power wire down. Probably the hardest part was pulling off the black housing for the water line on the glass. Got the power wire run down and looks great. Very bright light. Just need to install my toggle switch and done.

Last edited:

Ctaylor1432

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler MOAB
i’m curious if
1. this is where those with soft tops have mounted this and
2. anyone has pics of this on at night so we can see what it’s like?
I have a hard top so can’t answer the soft top question.

I can tell you it is bright! I didn’t wire in the remote to use the dimmer but will go back and do it eventually.
Sponsored