Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Jeep Grand Charokee, 18JL, MB Sprinter 3500 based WGO Navion
Tools
4inch angle grinder/saw
Files or Dremel.
Hole saw. Have a good one.
2, 4, 6 inch ratchet extensions two sets if you have a helper.
Deep and standard depth sockets.
Small tube of caulk/glue used to hold washers in place in a couple tight spots where you need both hands.
We used a couple of self provided temporary nuts and bolts as place holders during fitment.
You will have two brackets leftover.
The only real challenge I recall was cutting using the hole saw. You sort of free cut the hole without using/having the benefit of using the drill bit.
I have now towed 700 miles.
The Maximus 3 with Blue Ox adapters and the holes are very close tolerances.
I sanded some paint on the contact points and oiled them a bit to assist the mating.
Keep a rubber mallet and gloves in your kit.
I ended up using shackles for the safety cables. Easier than the tight fit on the back hole of the tow point. They could open that hole by 1/8th.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Hypalon Man

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I tried this safety cable method. Trimmed back the spring loaded clip to ease off and on, but it's still too tight for quick easy on off hence shackles for me. I even taped them in red at first designating the tow point end.

20181219_133408.jpg

20181020_151624.jpg

20181020_114259.jpg

20181216_163214.jpg

Left over bracket.
Hole cut for slotting.
See how you don't drill, you just hole cut. It works.

20181020_155103.jpg

Last edited:

Hypalon Man

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20190126_112727.jpg

Think of all the places you can tow and go. 4WD beach only.
Bring the fishing gear.

Last edited:

Bilymac

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ram 2500, 2017 Chevy Tahoe, 2017 Harley Street Glide Special, 2019 Jeep JLRU
Tools
4inch angle grinder/saw
Files or Dremel.
Hole saw. Have a good one.
2, 4, 6 inch ratchet extensions two sets if you have a helper.
Deep and standard depth sockets.
Small tube of caulk/glue used to hold washers in place in a couple tight spots where you need both hands.
You will have two brackets leftover.
The only real challenge I recall was cutting using the hole saw. You sort of free cut the hole without using/having the benefit of using the drill bit.
I have now towed 700 miles.
The Maximus 3 with Blue Ox adapters and the holes are very close tolerances.
I sanded some paint on the contact points and oiled them a bit to assist the mating.
Keep a rubber mallet and gloves in your kit.
I ended up using shackles for the safety cables. Easier than the tight fit on the back hole of the tow point. They could open that hole by 1/8th.
Thanks for all the tips and extra photos. Hopefully I'll have the time this weekend to get this done. Looks like and easy project.

Thanks again,

Bill

Sponsored

jeepixel

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WBGO View, 2019 2d Wrangler Rubicon
FWIW. . . if you're thinking about buying a braking system for flat towing and considering the RVi Brake, they are having a sale that ends TODAY, Feb 14.

Bilymac

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ram 2500, 2017 Chevy Tahoe, 2017 Harley Street Glide Special, 2019 Jeep JLRU
FWIW. . . if you're thinking about buying a braking system for flat towing and considering the RVi Brake, they are having a sale that ends TODAY, Feb 14.
Serves me right for not checking this thread yesterday.:crying:

t3aztec

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Now you guys have scared me out of doing anything. I purchased the Maximus-3 tow hooks. But after seeing your work to get them to fit. I’m not sure I want to do it. Instructions said just to cut skid plate. Nothing about the hole saw.

And the wiring I’m all lost on. I don’t even know if I’m going to be able to understand it. I’m good at wiring but the splicing thing is not fully understandable.

I have two months before I do a 1500 mile trip towing the Jeep. Gotta figure this out

jeepixel

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Now you guys have scared me out of doing anything. I purchased the Maximus-3 tow hooks. But after seeing your work to get them to fit. I’m not sure I want to do it. Instructions said just to cut skid plate. Nothing about the hole saw.

And the wiring I’m all lost on. I don’t even know if I’m going to be able to understand it. I’m good at wiring but the splicing thing is not fully understandable.

I have two months before I do a 1500 mile trip towing the Jeep. Gotta figure this out
You can do it or you can get it done. If you're not comfortable cutting the steel bumper and skid, then don't do it. Same for the electrical / harness stuff - let a good experienced shop handle it. That's what I did since auto elec is not in my skill set. By the way, I'm super happy with the Maximus tow loops so far - very clean look.

sdc53

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU
Anyone have instructions for putting the maximus-3 tow loops on a Sport? We have a JLU with plastic bumper, the instructions that came are for rubicon with steel bumper. Someone else here said they put it on a sport, and it looks like it'll work, but would like some guidance or confirmation before I begin cutting up my bumper and plastic air dam... The maximus website has been down all day and they're closed for the weekend.

Sponsored

jeepixel

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Anyone have instructions for putting the maximus-3 tow loops on a Sport? We have a JLU with plastic bumper, the instructions that came are for rubicon with steel bumper. Someone else here said they put it on a sport, and it looks like it'll work, but would like some guidance or confirmation before I begin cutting up my bumper and plastic air dam... The maximus website has been down all day and they're closed for the weekend.
I'm assuming you've read the multiple posts by forum member Hypalon Man and hopefully he will chime in here, as he did the install on his sport with the plastic bumper. Based on his photos and comments, the install is the virtually the same, just different materials and the "slot" you'll be cutting for the two loops to poke thru will look a little different. The loops mount to the frame in the same place regardless of trim and bumper type per the instructions. Measure twice, cut once. . .

sdc53

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU
I see now that's a sport bumper he's sawing on, and now the maximus website is back up claiming it works with a sport. Still no docs for sport, but i'll get after it anyways..

Kenny

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl sports, 2015 JK Unlimited, 2013 JK @ Dr
Occupation
Village Idiot
Clubs

I ended up getting a flat trailer

Hypalon Man

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just returned from a two month trip. We towed about 1500 miles. Everything went well.
Nice to have the Jeep to cruise around in.
All the components parts and systems performed as I had hoped they would.

Hypalon Man

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I see now that's a sport bumper he's sawing on, and now the maximus website is back up claiming it works with a sport. Still no docs for sport, but i'll get after it anyways..
How did things work out?
Sponsored