First Name
Dutch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Occupation
Logistics
Hello Kendall - First, let me say I apologize for you taking exception to my comments. I absolutely love the quality of the kit as well as the functionality. Now that I have it wired in properly, all works great. As Dennis stated, he too had to read the instructions at least five times before he made the decision to not tackle the installation. I read the instructions several times myself and felt I could get through it being as I am mechanically skilled. It took me about four hours to install the kit with much of the time spend rereading instructions. Now that it is finished and I know how to do it, I could probably get it done in about an hour or so. It is easy to understand instructions once you have accomplished the job several times.

I spent a career as an aircraft mechanic as well as 4 years technical writing maintenance instructions for aircraft maintenance. It is easy for us to write what we think is the most perfect product, until others proof read our product and do not understand it. I would take exception as well. The criticism is considered constructive and we would rewrite until it is clear and concise for everyone to understand.

Would you consider placing your photos for each step under their applicable step to keep from having to flip back and forth through the instructions. I would also suggest a photo showing the wires spliced in before being tied back for additional clarity showing which direction the larger and smaller wires run. I also agree with Dennis that a video would be beneficial.

Again, my apologies. I love the product, just not the instructions.

And, forgive my ignorance. What is OP?
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@Freiberger

"OP" is short for original poster ..... the person that made the first/original forum post.

jeepixel

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WBGO View, 2019 2d Wrangler Rubicon
Hello Kendall - First, let me say I apologize for you taking exception to my comments. I absolutely love the quality of the kit as well as the functionality. Now that I have it wired in properly, all works great. As Dennis stated, he too had to read the instructions at least five times before he made the decision to not tackle the installation. I read the instructions several times myself and felt I could get through it being as I am mechanically skilled. It took me about four hours to install the kit with much of the time spend rereading instructions. Now that it is finished and I know how to do it, I could probably get it done in about an hour or so. It is easy to understand instructions once you have accomplished the job several times.

I spent a career as an aircraft mechanic as well as 4 years technical writing maintenance instructions for aircraft maintenance. It is easy for us to write what we think is the most perfect product, until others proof read our product and do not understand it. I would take exception as well. The criticism is considered constructive and we would rewrite until it is clear and concise for everyone to understand.

Would you consider placing your photos for each step under their applicable step to keep from having to flip back and forth through the instructions. I would also suggest a photo showing the wires spliced in before being tied back for additional clarity showing which direction the larger and smaller wires run. I also agree with Dennis that a video would be beneficial.

Again, my apologies. I love the product, just not the instructions.

And, forgive my ignorance. What is OP?
Great response, well said. Communication can be so difficult, as we all read, see, and interpret things differently.

I stretched the use of OP (original post) as I was referencing your post where you originally made the comment about the instructions. It will probably be a bad mark on my Permanent Record. The true OP is the first post of any thread.

Freiberger

First Name
Dutch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Occupation
Logistics
Greetings Dutch! Wow, just wow, another very helpful response from the good folks on this forum. Thank you very much for taking the time to provide so much detail, as I know it will help me and I believe others will benefit, too.

I may change my mind a few times between now and when I get my Jeep, but I think I will take on the tow loop and breakaway aspects, but I might look for a shop to do the Cooltech portion, especially given your comments about the lousy instructions and my almost nonexistent experience with touching automotive wiring, but I'll withheld final judgement until I get the gear and see the instructions for myself. I may reach out to Cooltech and share your comments if that's ok with you with the hope of gaining some clarity and maybe they will improve their directions. I did get another 12v outlet to wire hot, so I am hoping I can do that wiring and will figure out where to locate it once I get into it. I might connect to one of the Aux switches.

Once I get it all installed and functional, then it will be time to try towing for the first time. I plan to do a couple test runs like you and others have done, then hopefully do a trip out to Big Bend NP to try out both the towing setup and the Jeep.

Thanks again.
I did not want you to run scared about the Cool Tech. It is a great kit and in actuality, the work is not hard to do. You just have to be careful with the side kick panel. The actual splicing is easy to access and splice once you get the step trim out of the way. If you take your time, it is not bad.

Another good option from Cool Tech is their 12 Volt Outlet Hot Kit. The new JL Jeep 12 volt plug is only hot when the key is turned on. It easily wires in to your fuse panel under the hood and only took 5 minutes to install. No splicing; all plug and play. I added this kit because I use a Brake Buddy for braking the Jeep which requires constant 12 volts.

Sponsored

Midwest22

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
In the spirit of possibly motivating a company (person) that creates a good product to LISTEN to their customers, I'll chime in here as well.

Fact:
1. The @CoolTech harness is a really good product and, while there are no others on the market, I'd buy it again.
2. The @CoolTech instructions ARE written poorly!
3. Don't expect @CoolTech to answer the phone while you have your Jeep apart (during normal business hours) - instead they will email you this response:

Please let me know your question(s). We’ve tried to make the instructions as explicit as possible.

Best,
Kendall

4. Generally when one person complain about an issue with a company there are 10 others that don't but are still just as upset.

Kendall, it should behove you to listen to your audience if you ever want to turn your hobby into a full time job/career. Sorry to be so blunt but you might want to wake up and LISTEN to what people are saying. Sure, the instructions may seem logical TO YOU because you know the harness inside and out but the people doing the install for the first time may be a bit confused especially with the instructions on the "addendum". BTW, had I known when to read that part first, I probably would not have broken my gray loom cover. Seriously, how can you say you have explicit instructions when you have an addendum that you just throw in the box??

In summary, you can sit here and defend your "well written instructions" till you're blue in the face but if you don't address this I can guarantee that the first company that comes out with another one (with BETTER instructions) will kill your business. You seem like a smart guy given your technical knowledge but your defensiveness and lack of listening to your customers is not good for your future revenue. Who knows, maybe you don't even care (thats kinda what it feels like)

With all that said, Kendall, you should really thank us for spending our valuable time giving you input into something that could literally make or break your business (for this product at least). If you don't care about it, then do nothing. If you do, then consider employing the help of someone else that can CLEARLY write the instructions. (or create a video)

Im sure this email will frustrate you, as it would me if I were in your shoes. The frustration you feel may be similar to how WE (your customers) felt/feel when doing the install.

AGAIN, let me emphasize 2 points here: The Cooltech harness DOES EXACTLY WHAT ITS INTENDED, however the instructions have a LOT of room for improvement!

Hypalon Man

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Jeep Grand Charokee, 18JL, MB Sprinter 3500 based WGO Navion
Believe me when I say if I could have ciphered the instructions I would have much preferred the CT approach and not having to crawl around under the Jeep in 50 degree weather.
In any event I now have 550 miles on the Roadmaster Harness. So far so good.

Hypalon Man

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have now towed 550 miles with said setup. All worked well.
I like the RVi3 brake system.
It was interesting and comforting to be able to test the System while underway up to 30 mph. Push the test button on the included tablet communicating with the Jeep brakes and it slowed our 6 tons right down.

Last edited:

Hypalon Man

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It was interesting and comforting to be able to test the System while underway up to 30 mph. Push the test button on the included tablet communicating with the Jeep brakes and it slowed our 6 tons right down.
David I am not able to send you the Cool Tech instructions. Sorry, but at this time I don't have full PC access. I initially received them from Cooltech. I'm sure they would send you a copy on request.

Last edited:

CoolTech

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Kendall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Hopefully this will work.... trying to attach the instructions. Apologies up-front about the format. We print these into a booklet by printing 2-sided (flip on short edge) and then it all comes out OK.

Attachments

Sponsored

jeepixel

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WBGO View, 2019 2d Wrangler Rubicon
Good to hear about the RVi brake system, as I hope to repeat your success. The test when under 30mph is a great idea - much better than me asking my Mrs to run along side the Jeep to monitor it! It had all better work out, as I'm counting on taking the Jeep to some fun places this year.

Hypalon Man

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Good to hear about the RVi brake system, as I hope to repeat your success. The test when under 30mph is a great idea - much better than me asking my Mrs to run along side the Jeep to monitor it! It had all better work out, as I'm counting on taking the Jeep to some fun places this year.
4wheeling a beach was fun
This beach was 4WD only!
20190126_112720.jpg

Bilymac

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ram 2500, 2017 Chevy Tahoe, 2017 Harley Street Glide Special, 2019 Jeep JLRU
@Hypalon Man, it looks like you installed the Maximus-3 Tow Loops on the plastic bumper. I received my Tow Loops and I'm about to do the same. Did you find much difference between the instructions for the Steel bumper and actually installing them on the plastic one?

Thanks, Bill

Hypalon Man

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Hypalon Man, it looks like you installed the Maximus-3 Tow Loops on the plastic bumper. I received my Tow Loops and I'm about to do the same. Did you find much difference between the instructions for the Steel bumper and actually installing them on the plastic one?

Thanks, Bill
Bill let me review my photos and notes.
They mount on the frame in the same location. Hence the measurements/dimensions are correct.
You just need to transfer that to the plastic bumper locations.
I will write and post more with a couple suggestions.

Hypalon Man

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bill let me review my photos and notes.
They mount on the frame in the same location. Hence the measurements/dimensions are correct.
You just need to transfer that to the plastic bumper locations.
I will write and post more with a couple suggestions.
Tools
4inch angle grinder/saw
Files or Dremel.
Hole saw. Have a good one.
2, 4, 6 inch ratchet extensions two sets if you have a helper.
Deep and standard depth sockets.
Small tube of caulk/glue used to hold washers in place in a couple tight spots where you need both hands.
You will have two brackets leftover.
The only real challenge I recall was cutting using the hole saw. You sort of free cut the hole without using/having the benefit of using the drill bit.
I have now towed 700 miles.
The Maximus 3 with Blue Ox adapters and the holes are very close tolerances.
I sanded some paint on the contact points and oiled them a bit to assist the mating.
Keep a rubber mallet and gloves in your kit.
I ended up using shackles for the safety cables. Easier than the tight fit on the back hole of the tow point. They could open that hole by 1/8th.
Sponsored