Sponsored

Must be a Jeep Thing!

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Oh yeah, I forgot, we're not in an auto bubble or anything. So if the dealer added a bunch of stuff and also put a "sticker" in the window that changed the total value to include the parts and labor of that additional stuff, would you also believe the vehicle is now worth that price?

Do you know what your vehicle is worth the moment you drive it off the lot? Why isn't it worth the sticker price once it has been registered?

Go to your favorite "find my car's value" site, select your vehicle but mark it as used. Put in all the options that you purchased and what mileage it was at the day you purchased it. That 58k vehicle or whatever price, isn't worth that anymore now is it. The price that it shows would be the price you should be paying and/or reducing your loan amount to if buying today.

Now you can pay how many ever thousand but to keep the vehicle on par with depreciation you are going to want to put down and / or negotiate enough money to bring the loan amount to the what the vehicle is truly worth. That way, when you are paying payments, there is a far better chance of the loan and the depreciation of the vehicle matching as the years pass. Paying more will cause one to always be upside down in the vehicle which essentially forces them to keep it or add the amount that they are upside down to a new loan when purchasing the next vehicle.

In some cases you may not be able to select the vehicle due to it not being added to the site yet or not enough data to determine the value. If that is the case you may need to pick the earlier year if it's the exact same vehicle. There would be a difference in price when dealing with a 2019 and using a 2018 as a reference and as the months pass it would loose any accuracy.

You can tell your friends that it is a 58k vehicle and brag to your girlfriend but don't bs yourself into thinking it is.
You do realize people are making money on new wranglers after driving them for several months? Your 15% value is an average, and it isn't even close for wrangler.
Sponsored

Paluss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
What they’re saying is If you bought a $20k Kia and put a diamond encrusted steering wheel on it and charged $100K for it, it doesn’t become a Porsche.
No thats not what they are saying, they are saying that a Jeep Wrangler with options that total $58k is still not a $58k vehicle. The point I was trying to make is that it does not matter what you paid for the vehicle the sticker is the tell-tale on the cost.

Now I've never paid sticker for any vehicle and most people don't. but that doesn't lessen the price of a vehicle just because you paid $50k the vehicle still cost $58K and the depreciation is from that price not from what you paid for it. You can easily option a Porsche with $30k in options, and those options are a real cost on the price of vehicle that $100k vehicle is now a $130K vehicle.

Majestic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKUR, 2019 JLUR
No thats not what they are saying, they are saying that a Jeep Wrangler with options that total $58k is still not a $58k vehicle. The point I was trying to make is that it does not matter what you paid for the vehicle the sticker is the tell-tale on the cost.

Now I've never paid sticker for any vehicle and most people don't. but that doesn't lessen the price of a vehicle just because you paid $50k the vehicle still cost $58K and the depreciation is from that price not from what you paid for it. You can easily option a Porsche with $30k in options, and those options are a real cost on the price of vehicle that $100k vehicle is now a $130K vehicle.
The sticker is just the asking price of the vehicle. It doesn’t mean you’ll get treated any better by the dealer nor suggest a higher level of quality. It just means the dealer wants that much money for it. It means nothing more, nothing less.

EZMFE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
You do realize people are making money on new wranglers after driving them for several months? Your 15% value is an average, and it isn't even close for wrangler.
Oh, so what you are saying is that it is ok to owe more on a loan than the vehicle is worth because in the case of a Wrangler you can always sell it for more than what you paid :puke:

Go ahead and pay that sticker price they said, let them steal the trade they said, sign up for that high interest loan through the worst financial institutions they said. Well, I just happen to disagree with that.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Gray Fox

Gray Fox

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Rubicon, 16 Mercedes Benz GLE 350 4Matic, 15 Honda Accord Sport, 12 Chevrolet Silverado Z71 Crew
Oh, so what you are saying is that it is ok to owe more on a loan than the vehicle is worth because in the case of a Wrangler you can always sell it for more than what you paid :puke:

Go ahead and pay that sticker price they said, let them steal the trade they said, sign up for that high interest loan through the worst financial institutions they said. Well, I just happen to disagree with that.
I hate to agree with you. You are brilliant. You must have gone to a great school because you Sir, must have an “MBA”-hole. Never did I say I paid $58k. Nor that there were $5000 worth of dealer add ons. That was the sticker from Jeep. I paid less than $49k. And I am not worried about what they gave on my trade. Nor should you. I didn’t trade anything in. And as for the loan, don’t you worry about that either. I have the ability to pay cash.

Didn’t need some “brilliant” God’s gift to Jeep owners to lecture me on what my Jeep is worth. I just wanted to vent and ask if anyone else had the same issues and see what they did.

Thank you very much!

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
So back on topic, I would take it to get checked out. I just had my ESS serviced and they found a loose wire. So it may be something simple. Perhaps a software update. Good luck :like:

OP
OP
Gray Fox

Gray Fox

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Rubicon, 16 Mercedes Benz GLE 350 4Matic, 15 Honda Accord Sport, 12 Chevrolet Silverado Z71 Crew
So back on topic, I would take it to get checked out. I just had my ESS serviced and they found a loose wire. So it may be something simple. Perhaps a software update. Good luck :like:
I figure it is something simple, just annoying quirks my wife is living with, other than me, but she has done that for 35 years and hasn’t been able to get those fixed. The Jeep ones more than likely will be.

OP
OP
Gray Fox

Gray Fox

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A97C3822-3B75-43FB-9EFE-24086C379CEF.jpeg
Oh yeah, I forgot, we're not in an auto bubble or anything. So if the dealer added a bunch of stuff and also put a "sticker" in the window that changed the total value to include the parts and labor of that additional stuff, would you also believe the vehicle is now worth that price?

Do you know what your vehicle is worth the moment you drive it off the lot? Why isn't it worth the sticker price once it has been registered?

Go to your favorite "find my car's value" site, select your vehicle but mark it as used. Put in all the options that you purchased and what mileage it was at the day you purchased it. That 58k vehicle or whatever price, isn't worth that anymore now is it. The price that it shows would be the price you should be paying and/or reducing your loan amount to if buying today.

Now you can pay how many ever thousand but to keep the vehicle on par with depreciation you are going to want to put down and / or negotiate enough money to bring the loan amount to the what the vehicle is truly worth. That way, when you are paying payments, there is a far better chance of the loan and the depreciation of the vehicle matching as the years pass. Paying more will cause one to always be upside down in the vehicle which essentially forces them to keep it or add the amount that they are upside down to a new loan when purchasing the next vehicle.

In some cases you may not be able to select the vehicle due to it not being added to the site yet or not enough data to determine the value. If that is the case you may need to pick the earlier year if it's the exact same vehicle. There would be a difference in price when dealing with a 2019 and using a 2018 as a reference and as the months pass it would loose any accuracy.

You can tell your friends that it is a 58k vehicle and brag to your girlfriend but don't bs yourself into thinking it is.
Ok, you are right. KBB.com has mine at $47k, about a thousand less than I paid for before taxes/tags, 6 months later.

I stand corrected, I currently have a $47k Jeep that has quirks.

By the way, since you are such a great economist, what was your sticker and what did you pay?

View attachment 143799

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0

EZMFE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I hate to agree with you. You are brilliant. You must have gone to a great school because you Sir, must have an “MBA”-hole. Never did I say I paid $58k. Nor that there were $5000 worth of dealer add ons. That was the sticker from Jeep. I paid less than $49k. And I am not worried about what they gave on my trade. Nor should you. I didn’t trade anything in. And as for the loan, don’t you worry about that either. I have the ability to pay cash.

Didn’t need some “brilliant” God’s gift to Jeep owners to lecture me on what my Jeep is worth. I just wanted to vent and ask if anyone else had the same issues and see what they did.

Thank you very much!
I didn't mean to mess up your thread or offend you. My apologies. You do realize that you replied to a post where I was quoting word302 right?

A97C3822-3B75-43FB-9EFE-24086C379CEF.jpeg

Ok, you are right. KBB.com has mine at $47k, about a thousand less than I paid for before taxes/tags, 6 months later.

I stand corrected, I currently have a $47k Jeep that has quirks.

By the way, since you are such a great economist, what was your sticker and what did you pay?

View attachment 143799
Well, I'm not sure that it matters or what point you are trying to make but I was at 5% under invoice. I put 9k down though since I traded in a vehicle (Jeep) worth 34500 and only owed 25500. I had only owned the trade in for 2 years. So today i'm right at 40k on my Wrangler loan. I bought it in Oct/18.

Sponsored

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU

Pretty sure I didn't say any of that, but ok.

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Engineering project manager
Wow! Lot's of butthurt in this thread. What is the point in arguing over semantics? The Wrangler is not a inexpensive vehicle, regardless of how you personally view it.
It is also not unreasonable for a person to expect a certain level of quality control at this price point.
At the end of the day remember that they are a company. Their motivation is simply to make money. If everyone just makes excuses for a lack of QC, what incentive do they have to actually improve it?
It's fine to love your Jeep. We all do. That's why we are here after all. It is also OK to hold them accountable for failures in workmanship or design.
If you do not agree with someone airing a complaint about failures on something they paid 50k for, simply skip to the next thread.
Arguing about it is about as effective as posting political arguments on facebook.

OP
OP
Gray Fox

Gray Fox

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just to put an end to the discussion that took over my thread, I realize that my Jeep, your Jeep, along with everyone else’s on this forum’s Jeep, houses, bags of oranges, cans of tuna, baseball card collections, etc. are only worth what someone is willing to pay. NOT A PENNY MORE. End of discussion.

Now back to my original question, anyone else have these issues and how did you correct them?

Thanks.

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Engineering project manager
baseball card collections, etc.
Speaking of baseball cards, I got an email from my Mother back in the states who let me know there is a big plastic box of mine full of my baseball cards from the late early 80's as well as several years of unopened "complete set" boxes. She asked if she though toss them in the bin.
I asked her to kindly not throw them out.

But no.. I have not had any issues so far. Thank goodness.

Mrcake3014

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
Must be a Jeep Thing!

Let me start of by saying I have been buying new cars for over 40 years. We have always owned GM, German Luxury with a few Hondas sprinkled in for our kids/commuting. We have never owned a Chrysler product, nor has my family or my wife’s family, so like I said, it might be a Jeep (Chrysler) Thing. Never had anything like this happen.

For several years we had wanted a Wrangler, but mainly for a “mess around vehicle”. When my wife’s Benz lease was up she decided that instead of buying a used Jeep for an extra vehicle, she would order an ’18 JLUR and if we liked it in a few years we use it as our knock around/weekend vehicle.

The Jeep arrived in August. I was afraid she wouldn’t like it as a daily driver coming from the Benz. Well she loves the Jeep, but can’t get past the little “quirks”. Like I said, may be a Jeep Thing since I don’t know about Chrysler products.

Like I said we have had it since August and it has less than 4000 miles. The first quirk is with Apple CarPlay. She likes to use the USB in the console. She noticed CarPlay would just disconnect. She tried a different cable, same results. She thought there was something wrong with her phone so she bought a new one. Same thing. No rhyme or reason as to when it will disconnect. Now it does the same with the front USB.

The backup lines disappear randomly. You can restart and it may or may not come back on.

Now the new issue is with the Stop/Start feature. I started noting a few weeks ago (when I get to drive) that the Jeep would jerk forward when it started at a light. Last weekend we were in stop/go traffic on the interstate and it was stopping/starting like normal. Then it started and the idiot light came on and the auto start “stopped” working. After we arrived and restarted, everything reset. Yesterday my wife said it quit working and as of this writing, it hasn’t reset.

Like I said, is this a “Jeep Thing”? Are these quirks and others like them something we will have to “live” with (Jeep Thing) or is it unusual? Something I wouldn’t expect from a $58k+ vehicle.
I think you should take it to the dealership. I got a 2019 in January I have had no problem with the start stop. It took me a while to get used to it.
Sponsored