Sponsored

Has anyone with a faulty Jeep been offered a buyback from FCA?

Kgeezy

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Cr-v; 19 Ascent premium
Hey all, first post not a troll. Longtime member of the Chrysler family ownership in order: 97 ZJ, 96 XJ, 00 WJ, 10 JK. None currently.

I’m sick reading about the new JL for the community. The quality of build and customer service is absurd. The weld issue, inconsistent steering, and ball joint torque are just upsetting. The inconsistent and some times nonexistent support from FCA is embarrassing. Through all my years with this 4 link suspension the important parts are always ball joints and track bar. What does Jeep do, completely omit these areas during engineering.

My JK with the grade 8 bolt kit and strong ball joints was the most responsive, tightest, safest suspension I ever had in a Jeep. WTF is going on here. One guys’ ball joints dropped out of the axle tube while sightseeing on the sand trail! And he’s on the hook for repair!

Advice from former Jeep guy, Fix them up to Jeep warranty repair standard, sell privately, grab a Subaru Ascent. Built in Indiana with Japanese drivetrain. Experience a real warranty and real customer support.

Have to demand change with your dollar. I loved the product as much as the next guy, and am genuinely sorry for some of the new owners and their posted experiences. If you want Chrysler to hear you, you have to walk away. 45k+ is a big commitment. Actions speak, the Ascent is 260 hp turbo 4 banger, good mileage, grand Cherokee clearance. There is real value here. This is just my opinion, not a Subaru fan boy despite the tone, I am a get your worth fanboy and honest service fanboy. Best wishes and regards.

069D7C81-FEB7-4ED1-A07C-296B67906897.jpeg
Sponsored

Shaved Ice

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I am one of those with a lemon in the middle of a buyback but I would never consider a Subaru. I might consider another Jeep or Gladiator but the abysmal FCA customer service has me pretty jaded right now. I might also wait for the Bronco or Defender. Heck, I might even look for an older 4x4 with character.

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord coupe, V6 6-speed manual; ordered 2018 JL Sport 6MT with A/C and anti-spin. D status.
I am one of those with a lemon in the middle of a buyback but I would never consider a Subaru. I might consider another Jeep or Gladiator but the abysmal FCA customer service has me pretty jaded right now. I might also wait for the Bronco or Defender. Heck, I might even look for an older 4x4 with character.
The current Toyota 4Runner remains the polar opposite of the JL when it comes to reliability, and is still a capable SUV built the old-school, tough, body on frame way. If you’re looking for suggestions.

gcnd06

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 BW JLUR (lemon'd), 2019 SG JLUR
I was offered a buyback/replacement today of my 2018 JLUR that has been a nightmare (engine and electrical problems, over 30 days in shop, 4 repair attempts of the same issue).

Can anyone that has gone the replacement route comment on the process? How long did it take and anything to be aware of?

Shaved Ice

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I read the third party company that handles the buyback / replacement has the same level of customer service as FCA. If you want another Jeep, I would recommend asking for a buyback and ordering another after you get the check.

Sponsored

Robwill1250

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S
I read the third party company that handles the buyback / replacement has the same level of customer service as FCA. If you want another Jeep, I would recommend asking for a buyback and ordering another after you get the check.

I was offered the buyback replacement and turned it down. Once I got email from stericycle with all the things that I could be charged for I declined immediately. Tire wear, chips, keys etc..

You know real quick who's going to benefit and yes customer service is about the same.

UNC Rubicon

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Billet Silver JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I can’t say much but my experience with Stericycle was phenomenal. My rep was amazing. He responded to emails within minutes and was honestly the best part of the entire process.

COBill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
The current Toyota 4Runner remains the polar opposite of the JL when it comes to reliability, and is still a capable SUV built the old-school, tough, body on frame way. If you’re looking for suggestions.
No manual transmission available. :(

That's why I bought my FJ back in 2011; off-road capable Toyota with stick.

COBill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
Advice from former Jeep guy, Fix them up to Jeep warranty repair standard, sell privately, grab a Subaru Ascent. Built in Indiana with Japanese drivetrain. Experience a real warranty and real customer support.
If you're buying a Wrangler to go off-road, the Subaru isn't going to do you much good unless you like ripping things off the bottom of it (10.8" of ground clearance vs. 8.7" for the Subaru, and then there's the whole lack of 4L on the Ascent.)

If you just want a get to the ski hill or work vehicle then the Subaru's great.

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord coupe, V6 6-speed manual; ordered 2018 JL Sport 6MT with A/C and anti-spin. D status.
No manual transmission available. :(

That's why I bought my FJ back in 2011; off-road capable Toyota with stick.
I agree. Unfortunate. I really think it’s likely I’d have a 4th or 5th gen 4Runner in my drive if a manual transmission was offered.

Sponsored

Bingy

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JLU
Sell my JL and buy a Subaru? I just threw up in my mouth a little :puke:

Biscuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Retired
Subaru vehicles are exceptional. Sure, they don't come close to the Wrangler in terms of off-road capability, but they were never intended to do so.

COBill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
Subaru vehicles are exceptional. Sure, they don't come close to the Wrangler in terms of off-road capability, but they were never intended to do so.
Plus I know of few brand new Subarus that have spent months in the garage waiting on parts.

Oscar16

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler unlimited Sahara
Yes. I was just offered a buy back yesterday. My Jeep been in shop for 70 days since August 10 and still there get radio and steering damper fixed and they finally offered one. We will see how long and bad this process is. Hope the 2019 I order has all glitches figured out. We shall see.

rubicon20032003

First Name
Joe wrong
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jl
Yes. I was just offered a buy back yesterday. My Jeep been in shop for 70 days since August 10 and still there get radio and steering damper fixed and they finally offered one. We will see how long and bad this process is. Hope the 2019 I order has all glitches figured out. We shall see.
I start Monday on my buyback too.Who you going thru.Dealer or fca ?
Sponsored