Sponsored

Anyone done the Buyback/lemon Law Program ?

20JL Rubi

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Unlimited Rubicon
Letting my 2020 be bought back after they could't fix it ... Anyone have any stories on this buyback program / lemon law program for you state with Chrysler ? Any pointers they are calling me next week for next steps after they took the report today.
Sponsored

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
You’re incredibly lucky if FCA is voluntarily buying yours back. I had to go through arbitration, which was very stressful and a lot of work to prepare.

I’m in California, so my experience would be different.

Good luck and I hope it goes well for you.

beaups

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
Letting my 2020 be bought back after they could't fix it ... Anyone have any stories on this buyback program / lemon law program for you state with Chrysler ? Any pointers they are calling me next week for next steps after they took the report today.
Yes. If they've already agreed to buy your vehicle back, you'll be contacted by the company they outsource the process to - Stericycle. It's a surprisingly pleasant process once it's started. Feel free to PM me if you would like more info, I'd prefer not post it.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I had a 2012 Chrysler 300S bought back by FCA. The car was in the shop 12 times in the first three weeks of ownership.

I bought the car at Dealer A, but had the warranty work at Dealer B, which was my regular dealership. This was in California.

The issues were multiple: the selling dealer failed to activate the satellite radio and blind spot monitors; a loose passenger seat —it was missing two bolts; inoperative seat and steering wheel heaters —turned out to be a fried module; a rattling rear window shade; a rattling panoramic sunroof, the spare fob was missing, and a bunch of other things I now forget.

Someone gave me the email of then VP of Quality, Doug Betts; send him a long but nice email telling him that I had been a loyal Chrysler customer for 25 years, and I was very disappointed with he quality of this car. He thanked me for my loyal business, apologized for my experience, and put me in touch with his Customer Care Executive Team, who handled customer issues that came from FCA’s executive suite.

Got a call from one of the executive team ladies. Her job was to gather the facts in order to determine next steps. Because my regular dealer was handling the warranty problems, as opposed to the f#*&@ dealer that sold me the car, our stories lined up perfectly. Getting the two involved parties to agree made her job, and my case, much easier to resolve. I didn’t involve any lawyers.

We got to know each other pretty well over the phone. By week 6 she offered me two options: (1) a full buyback, minus sales tax and registration, or (2) turn in the car for another FCA vehicle of my choice. If the other vehicle was of higher value, I’d owe the difference. And they would honor any rebates and discounts on the first car, even if they were not available on the second vehicle. I had $7,000 in discounts and rebates on the Chrysler 300.

I chose door number 2. And FCA allowed me to transfer $7,000 in discounts towards a brand spanking new 2012 Dodge Challenger SRT, which didn’t have any discounts in those days.

All in all, I felt Chrysler did me right.

PS - later we discovered that Dealer A had rented that Chrysler 300 for display at the Orange County Auto Show. They had taken out the passenger seat to pass the electrical wiring for the special lighting at the exhibit. Although I had an appointment the day I went to test drive the car, the dealer had me waiting for 45 minutes under pretext that they couldn’t find it in the annex lot. Turns out they were frantically trying to put the car back together, however sloppily. This explained the loose passenger seat, the fried electronics, the missing fob, and a whole bunch of other things. That dealership had a terrible reputation; it changed ownership several times in a few years.

Last edited:

Sponsored

First Name
J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jeep wrangler JL
I'm currently in the process as well for my 2019 sport because of the RMS leak. I just got the email from my lawyer to get the go ahead on the settlement....got a full buyback and im still a little bit shy of what I have paid for it in payments because of the "usage fee" but whatever. They're finalizing #s now.. once checks are ready in about 2 /3 weeks we'll set up the "surrender" date and move on.. I started having trouble at 1500 miles.. I absolutely love my jeep and really want the rubicon next but we are still on the fence. Up until I found my lawyer, it was a nightmare. Help doesn't come easy in the fca/jeep dept... doesn't sound like the problems/kinks have been sorted out yet ...

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Which dealer was this?
The crappy dealer was Orange Coast Chrysler on Harbor Boulevard, Costa Mesa.

The dealer that did it right was Glenn E. Thomas Dodge in Long Beach.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
@20JL Rubi
I was able to follow up with you via private message. Please continue to respond there with future questions in order to avoid missed communication.

Kathryn
JeepCares

jeepdabest

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara
I'm currently in the process as well for my 2019 sport because of the RMS leak. I just got the email from my lawyer to get the go ahead on the settlement....got a full buyback and im still a little bit shy of what I have paid for it in payments because of the "usage fee" but whatever. They're finalizing #s now.. once checks are ready in about 2 /3 weeks we'll set up the "surrender" date and move on.. I started having trouble at 1500 miles.. I absolutely love my jeep and really want the rubicon next but we are still on the fence. Up until I found my lawyer, it was a nightmare. Help doesn't come easy in the fca/jeep dept... doesn't sound like the problems/kinks have been sorted out yet ...
When FCA knows you are serious then they will get serious.

HeavyUser

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
How many times did they attempt to fix the RMS leak?

Sponsored

First Name
J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jeep wrangler JL
How many times did they attempt to fix the RMS leak?
3 or 4x now. I cant remember. the first time the dealer & FCA tried saying that we caused it by going "off roading" and didnt want to cover it through warranty. Ive learned they're quick to blame the customer. i guess the the "trail rated" badge doesnt hold any meaning? lol so anyways, after that we took it to another dealer and they were able to get it taken care of under warranty but after months of it just sitting there, going back and forth because they were just trying to put a bandaid on it and other little things coming up like interior lights not working, getting stuck with rentals that were falling apart, super old and not at all comparable to what i was paying for my brand new jeep and the amount of time i was without it was insane. This is my first Jeep and although I absolutely fell in love with the IDEA of it, im totally put off by the lack of support and engineering. I've owned my fair share of cars from honda's to infiniti's, low end and high end, ive never come across anything like this. They dont seem to take any accountability for their products. I took this jeep in with 1500 miles not even a month of ownership and have probably been without it longer than ive actually had it. totally sucks. But, I will admit, I gotta stay off the forums because my wife and I have been bitten by the bug and are considering the rubicon...LOL but you better believe we will give it a good run and do our homework before we make that move again. Im not mad at my jeep, its not its fault its makers are .... well... ya know.

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, ford transit 250, 2017 Wrangler Smoky Mountain Edition
Occupation
Mechanical designer /contractor and musician
100% buyback, no usage fees, all legal costs paid, bank fees and interest reimbursed.
Had to hire a lawyer before FCA realized I was serious. After that it went very smooth and FCA was 100% cooperative. Major steering issues that could not be fixed
I really liked the jeep and replaced it with a 2020 Rubicon which I test drove extensively.
While not perfect... it is 10x better.. yes, it drives like a jeep which is fine it’s me. At least I don’t white knuckle it every time I get behind the wheel.

AlpMan

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU, XJ, XC40
So does anyone know what actually happens to all these buy back vehicles? Does jeep fix (or should I say band-aid) them and then just sell as used? I've noticed there's a ton of very low mile JL's on sites like Carmax, Carvana, etc. Would a carfax report show that it was lemon-law'd or bought back?
Sponsored