Command Line RC

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Wrangler Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for posting this, particularly the attachment. After assessing “no fault found” on my steering issue, I went back this morning with my iPad displaying your attachment. They immediately put my Jeep up on a hoist and found the date code was 105, well before the 257 threshold. They’ve ordered a new steering damper but I’ll have a bit of a wait since it’s backordered.
Not a problem. Ironically mine does not fall within that date range. Replaced mine with a Falcon stabilizer and all is right with the world again.
Sponsored

xpsruler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sport
Well this morning I hit a bump going into work at around 60mph and definitely experienced a slight death wobble. The front suspension steered back and forth continuously until I was able to slow the vehicle down by about 5 mph.

I'm gonna schedule an appointment and get it looked at. Its just been one thing after the other :-(.

wooten1138

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU, 2018 Grand Cherokee Sterling Edition
My better half has a JLU and this happened to us a couple weeks ago. We had an appointment already for the slight "shimmy" after hitting bumps. Traveling down the freeway at 70mph, we hit a bump and the whole car shook for several hundred feet until it stabilized. The appointment was the next day. They ordered a steering damper and we're hopeful that will fix it. Sounds like it came in yesterday.

We also told them about the 'wandering' steering we noticed. I think I read somewhere that the fix for that is a PCM flash. Is that the case or does the damper replacement also fix that issue? Thanks.

Chewbacca2264

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Thanks for posting this, particularly the attachment. After assessing “no fault found” on my steering issue, I went back this morning with my iPad displaying your attachment. They immediately put my Jeep up on a hoist and found the date code was 105, well before the 257 threshold. They’ve ordered a new steering damper but I’ll have a bit of a wait since it’s backordered.

Did they give you a date? They told me December 12th......then laughed saying that with all the issues it will most likely be longer.

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
My better half has a JLU and this happened to us a couple weeks ago. We had an appointment already for the slight "shimmy" after hitting bumps. Traveling down the freeway at 70mph, we hit a bump and the whole car shook for several hundred feet until it stabilized. The appointment was the next day. They ordered a steering damper and we're hopeful that will fix it. Sounds like it came in yesterday.

We also told them about the 'wandering' steering we noticed. I think I read somewhere that the fix for that is a PCM flash. Is that the case or does the damper replacement also fix that issue? Thanks.
The wandering fix varies based on reports here on the JL forum. Sometimes it is one or a combination of the following fixes:

1. Tire pressure. Needs to match the PSI per the door jam. Some say to go a bit lower.
2. Steering TSB that flashes the steering pump pressure (loose steering). TSB #08-092-18 https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...sist-steering-lockup-at-highway-speeds.12226/
3. PCM Reprogram TSB - 18-041-18 Rev A (loose steering): This shouldn't fix it at all, but some have reported a slight improvement. Perhaps there is a steering code update buried in the update that wasn't listed on the TSB. https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...vements-pcm-reprogram-september-7-2018.15739/
4. Loose ball joint nuts - make sure they remove the cotter pins to check. A visual check is not acceptable. Many have found them to be finger tight.
5. Loose track bar bolts, or other loose steering / suspension related component fasteners, bolts, nuts, etc.
6. Increase caster - non-lifted, use the 1/4" longer Mopar lower control arms from the Mopar lift kit (you can order just the LCAs).
7. Increase caster - lifted. 3rd party parts fix this - adjustable LCA, or the Teraflex brackets for lifted JLs.
8. It is possible a new steering stabilizer will fix both wandering and loose steering, but no one has confirmed it yet with the new OEM stabilizer - AD version. Some have reported an aftermarket steering stabilizer fixed their loose steering. Steering Stabilizer Failure info is at:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/steering-wheel-wobble.16577/page-8#post-436030

More details at:

1. Star Case Number: S1819000003 / Steering Feels Loose and or Wander Oct 10 2018
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...ed-case-or-a-problem.17516/page-6#post-428965

2. https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...ering-feels-like-it-has-play-and-drifts.3691/

3. TSB List - https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...r-jl-wrangler-check-your-jl-for-recalls.9784/

Last edited:

Sponsored

chadc880

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler
These past few weeks I noticed some instability in my steering components while going over moderate bumps. Then yesterday while on the highway I road over a bridge with a hole on each side. Wow that really sucked. I know what true death wobble feels like. Experienced it 20 years ago in an old bucket truck. I thought I was going to die. The entire truck rocked back and fourth with all of the gear on the truck. Never stepped foot in that truck ever again. But yesterday I felt that oscillation / wobble in the steering. Slight butt pucker moment. But I knew what to expect and it went away after the bump in the bridge. It happened both to and from my destination. Checked the tire pressure last night and they were down to 31psi. I know from prior experience with the bridgestone 18's they are very picky with stability with tire pressure. They are back to 35ish. Checked my date code on my stabilizer and it is 114. Just placed a call to my service manager.

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
These past few weeks I noticed some instability in my steering components while going over moderate bumps. Then yesterday while on the highway I road over a bridge with a hole on each side. Wow that really sucked. I know what true death wobble feels like. Experienced it 20 years ago in an old bucket truck. I thought I was going to die. The entire truck rocked back and fourth with all of the gear on the truck. Never stepped foot in that truck ever again. But yesterday I felt that oscillation / wobble in the steering. Slight butt pucker moment. But I knew what to expect and it went away after the bump in the bridge. It happened both to and from my destination. Checked the tire pressure last night and they were down to 31psi. I know from prior experience with the bridgestone 18's they are very picky with stability with tire pressure. They are back to 35ish. Checked my date code on my stabilizer and it is 114. Just placed a call to my service manager.
Maybe those two FCA engineers that drove to check out your other steering issue and didn't bother to check and missed finding the loose ball joint nuts could help expedite the back ordered steering stabilizer for you. lol At least the loose ball joints didn't fall completely out like this guy: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...-is-this-an-isolated-case-or-a-problem.17516/

#HERJL18

First Name
Stacy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon JLU
Occupation
Work Hard - Play Harder
I experienced a low speed death wobble for the first time last Friday on my stock 2dr JLR with 7k miles. When making a right turn from a side street, I hit a mild bump at 20 mph with the front wheels near but not fully straight. That induced a wobble that lasted at least 5 seconds until just before I came to a full stop.

It did not recur over the next few days, but I nonetheless took it into the dealer for a checkup on Wednesday. They found nothing. The said the alignment, tire pressure and tire wear were good and that they checked the torque on all steering components and found no issues.

As of today, I've only experienced the wobble that one time. However, in the days before that incident, I perceived that bumps on curves were sometimes inducing a shimmy in the steering wheel. It never progressed to a full wobble, but seemed like it was wanting to let go. That still happens, but it is limited. The shimmy doesn't occur when hitting bumps on straight travel and only occurs intermittently when hitting bumps on curves.

Could my encounter with mild death wobble be a freak circumstance since I'm not encountering the same experiences as most reporting in this thread? My wobble occurred at low speed where just about everyone else reports it at highway speeds. I do not experience loose steering like most other posters here. I don't perceive any play in the steering wheel and the vehicle tracks straight and true on the highway unless there is a crosswind.

Conversely, could it be that I'm experiencing the same issue as others in this thread, only mine hasn't yet developed into as severe a problem? Any advice on where to go from here would be appreciated.

This is exactly how mine started at 7k miles. Unfortunately, it progressively got worse and happened consistently at 35+ mph. After having two alignments, tires balanced and rotated twice and every part of my suspension checked to torque, it continued and never improved. So after much research online and many offline conversations, I have replaced the Mopar control arms and track bar with Metal Cloak parts and the steering stabilizer with a Teraflex Adjustable Falcon 2.2. So far so good but it's only been a couple of days. I couldn't even get into my Jeep dealership for Service for a month and based on what I had read, no one has had this fixed by their Jeep dealer. So I took matters into my hands and pocketbook. It sucks but I'd rather be safe than go down the black hole of dealing with Jeep Service.

chadc880

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler
Coincidence the 7000 mile mark ? Mine is at 7217miles.

Jeremy Jeep I emailed my service manager today with all of the info with picture of my date stamp and he ordered one today to be here Monday or Tuesday AD. So I am good with that.

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR

Jeremy Jeep I emailed my service manager today with all of the info with picture of my date stamp and he ordered one today to be here Monday or Tuesday AD. So I am good with that.
I was joking of course. :)

Sponsored

TheJoyceIsYours

First Name
Brendan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.lbdesignworks.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Designer

Oddly enough,my issues became noticible at the 7200 mile marker too...

#HERJL18

First Name
Stacy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon JLU
Occupation
Work Hard - Play Harder
I’ve have been getting advice from a guy in the JL group on Facebook with my exact setup that had the problem start just after 7,000 miles too.

Oldtimer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee Ltd
I’ve have been getting advice from a guy in the JL group on Facebook with my exact setup that had the problem start just after 7,000 miles too.
I had my appointment at my local dealer on Friday. I tried to hit every drainage grate dip on the highway on my way home (well after rush hour). NO WOBBLE so far. The steering stabilizer was replaced in about 1 hr. I feel much safer on the road, and I appreciate everything @JeepCares has done to help expedite my request. @JeepCares really cares.

Last edited:

xpsruler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sport
Just dropped mine off at the dealership but my expectations honestly are pretty low seeing as I have other issues that havent been able to be fixed (engine knocking). I'm guessing I'll get the classic unable to replicate response but we'll see. I do not feel safe driving the vehicle currently which is a shame for a brand new vehicle. This is my third Jeep I've owned but I have never had these kind of issues before. I am very disappointed and would not have bought this vehicle if I knew I would have to take it in for service so much.

warc1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2dr JL Rubicon, 2016 Corvette Z06
Did they give you a date? They told me December 12th......then laughed saying that with all the issues it will most likely be longer.
Well that sucks. I didn't get a date and don't know if I will get one. It seems next to impossible to get anything out of FCA Canada.
Sponsored