Which winch should I buy

American Adventurist

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 StingGray JLUR
Me too I went with the 10 k superwinch. Waht plate did you use? any tips on the installation? I am doing mine in the next few days?

As far as the shootout goes. That is a good point. But it doesn't justify awarding warn the win when their winch did not complete the competition. All the winches went through the same test, and some did not fail. plus if youthink about warn beingthe most expesive in the group should have finished which would have help justify their higher price. IMHO
I used the Artec winch plate with the EXP 12. Perfect fit.

Fun fact: EXP 8, 10 and 12 are all the same case/mounting bolt holes. Only difference is the weight - my 12 weighs 5 lbs more than the 10 due to the internals.
Sponsored

jimmyzwheelz

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Rubicon 2DR
THIS.

I've had Warn winches (M8000 and 16.5Ti). Warn makes good winches and I still like them but the Superwinch EXP is the best thing on the market now, period.

An often overlooked feature is the BRAKE on whatever winch you buy - most are a cone brake which is not the strongest design. The EXP has a gearbox end disc brake - way better for holding power in an emergency.

Another thing I like is the automatic clutch - if you do a bunch of winching you'll learn it's hard work, that clutch really makes things easier. After freespooling your winchline out, there’s no need for another trip back to the winch. So nice.

For me, I don't trust anything made by Harbor Freight, Smittybilt etc. Comeup is OK, but I don't like made in China if I can avoid it. Why would I choose a Chinese brand over an American one? At least Warn and Superwinch have made in USA models still.

Bill Burke uses Superwinch so for me the choice was easy. I chose the EXP 12si on my JLUR.

https://superwinch.com/products/superwinch-exp-series?variant=4342518284315

69991269-8EFA-4F7A-B671-BADAD3E87C8E.jpeg

75965BD0-F1AD-4B41-9AE0-4E8C70BB2FDB.jpeg
Dave,

Thank you for the information on Superwinch! Looks like a very well designed and well made product. What winch mounting plate did you use?

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Apparently the only winches on the market are Warn and Superwinch according to this thread... lol :)
Well, I had a budget of about $400 so that put me with either RC or Barricade for a 9500lb winch with synthetic rope. After watching a side by side comparison of the two on YouTube I went with the RC with synthetic rope. I haven't had to use it in a recovery situation yet but just reeling it in I could see it was pretty fast just like the video showed and it was easier than the Barricade to unspool like the video showed.
I'm sure I'll get laughed at but there are other winches if you are working on a budget.

caged

First Name
Rodger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1949 CJ3a 90XJ 00XJ 97TJ 18JLR
warn. buy once, cry once.

i still have and use my warn m8000 and it's still pulling strong, after 15 years or more. it's been under water many times and still on the original steel cable.

i've seen many others purchased in my jeep club, and died an early death. usually solenoids or simply burnt them out. but mine still pulls.

main thing is duty cycle. know when to take a break and let the winch cool down.

warn zeon 10s when the new rubi gets here.

American Adventurist

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 StingGray JLUR
Apparently the only winches on the market are Warn and Superwinch according to this thread... lol :)
Well, I had a budget of about $400 so that put me with either RC or Barricade for a 9500lb winch with synthetic rope. After watching a side by side comparison of the two on YouTube I went with the RC with synthetic rope. I haven't had to use it in a recovery situation yet but just reeling it in I could see it was pretty fast just like the video showed and it was easier than the Barricade to unspool like the video showed.
I'm sure I'll get laughed at but there are other winches if you are working on a budget.
Warn M8000 or Superwinch Tigershark are near that price range.

Buy once. Cry once.

https://www.amazon.com/Superwinch-1...rk+9500+sr&dpPl=1&dpID=511xL2YVlaL&ref=plSrch

https://www.amazon.com/WARN-26502-M...dpPl=1&dpID=41o49zuQ3bL&ref=plSrch&th=1&psc=1

Last edited:

Sponsored

Turfman

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Well I just installed My Smittybuilt X20 using a Rusty’s mount plate! Perfect fit. Was in my budget and since my last name is Smith I also like having the name in the front of my Jeep.

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Retired engineer (NASA, aerospace, DoD); ex-Navy
Vehicle Showcase
These threads are always a lot more fun when the person misspells "winch" as "wench"...

Turfman

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Vehicle Showcase
These threads are always a lot more fun when the person misspells "winch" as "wench"...
Lol, you got me! I red your post and had to scroll back up to see if I made the mistake!

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Retired engineer (NASA, aerospace, DoD); ex-Navy
Vehicle Showcase
Lol, you got me! I red your post and had to scroll back up to see if I made the mistake!
I remember people making mistakes like that quite often back in the USENET days. You couldn't go back and edit your posts back then either. On forums, you can go back and edit your posts, unless you make the mistake in the title of the original post of the thread... For example,

"What's the best wench to buy for my Jeep?"
"What sort of wench is best?"
"What type of wench do you use?"
"Do I need a wench for my Jeep?"
"Do I need an expensive wench or will a cheap wench do?"

Hmmm... I wonder if the gender-challenged politically-correct snowflakes will whine about this post and get it censored like so many of my other posts lately.

Politically-incorrect and damned proud of it!

Last edited:

Sponsored

POWDO

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase

POWDO

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Do you like it? I was just discussing with Doug from Outlaw in High Point on this bumper.
Yes. The paint (powder coat) matches the fenders, I have the black ones with a black top. Seems to be super strong but a SOB to install, did it myself. It is dead even with the fenders so it looks clean.

Jo's Jeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I got one of these from Quadratec. Waterproof, lighted drum, wired/wireless remote, and the clutch handle is removeable for those pesky Eddy Haskell types...

quadratec-q12000i-%20wsteel-winch-line.jpg

AnthemAVM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL
Anyone have any other positive thoughts to add to this thread.

Michael
Sponsored