First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JL, 2017 Honda Pilot Touring
Occupation
USAF Retired Helicopter mechanic
That all depends on what you do with your Jeep! I love our AMP Research steps. Just ordered an override switch so I can turn them off when needed, or deploy them when wanting to wash the Jeep.

https://www.electricstep.com/amp-research/pc/catalog/79106-01A.pdf

And will probably order a bottem trim cover too so it will look a little better.

5170D08B-986E-498E-B40D-43C341D1C265.jpeg

886C5FB8-3A4F-406B-9FEC-2CCD95D42A83.jpeg

1A21C949-8DD7-4682-95A2-987291F8EC86.jpeg

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
was an ā€˜18 Rubicon Mojito! now a boring Mazda
Didnā€™t know amp had a trim kit. Thatā€™s good because the pinch weld is ugly. Although you only see it for a few seconds when the step is down.

OP
OP
Jeeporama

Jeeporama

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (JLU), 2005 Jeep Liberty
Vehicle Showcase
That all depends on what you do with your Jeep! I love our AMP Research steps. Just ordered an override switch so I can turn them off when needed, or deploy them when wanting to wash the Jeep.

https://www.electricstep.com/amp-research/pc/catalog/79106-01A.pdf

And will probably order a bottem trim cover too so it will look a little better.

5170D08B-986E-498E-B40D-43C341D1C265.jpeg

886C5FB8-3A4F-406B-9FEC-2CCD95D42A83.jpeg

1A21C949-8DD7-4682-95A2-987291F8EC86.jpeg
The trim piece is definitely a nice touch, but the only thing that pushes me towards the rockslide and aries is that they are 2 steps. The upper step looks pretty convenient to access the roof.

I think the aries looks the most refined, but the rockslide's 12" drop and the fact it is a rock rail is pretty sweet. (Actually the aries says up to 15" drop but it doesn't look like that.)

M1kefries

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Iā€™ve had the amp steps on previous trucks and loved them. When getting steps for the Jeep I went with the Rockslide steps because of the slider function. I donā€™t expect to be banging off rocks every day, but didnā€™t want to risk that investment when wheeling.

Having and installing both now I will share some observations. The AMP boards are much wider and easier to step up on. It has taken a bit to get used to the narrower steps on the Rockslide, but just as solid. Amp uses the door light wires as a trigger and the Rockslide uses magnets at the doors as triggers. Both work, but my OCD says I like Amps method better. There is more work installing the AMP wiring harness, but it appeals to my ā€œclean wiringā€ mantra. Both have a clean line when retracted and deploy easily to a very usable height, JLUR with 35ā€™s and no lift.

Iā€™ve dealt with customer service at both companies. AMP was acceptable and what weā€™ve all come to expect with regard to response time and competent replies. Rockslide on the other hand is exceptional in my opinion. My passenger side step started to fail after a couple weeks and I reached out to them and sent pics / video to their customer service. They were fantastic with their response and had a new step out to me within a week. This was late last summer when lead times were 8-10 weeks so impressive response.

So hind sight being 20/20 what would I do if I had to do it again?.... I would go with the AMP standard.

Sponsored

Tech Tim

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4x4 of all kinds
Occupation
Part of the Northridge4x4 team
Both the AMP and the Rock Slide Engineering units are nice, we've installed quite a few of both units. Usually the RSE steps on Jeeps and the AMP steps on trucks (I haven't seen the Aries ones yet).

If you're going to spend any time out playing in the wild, get the Rock Slide Engineering steps, they are designed to take the abuse and keep on working.

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
was an ā€˜18 Rubicon Mojito! now a boring Mazda
The trim piece is definitely a nice touch, but the only thing that pushes me towards the rockslide and aries is that they are 2 steps. The upper step looks pretty convenient to access the roof.

I think the aries looks the most refined, but the rockslide's 12" drop and the fact it is a rock rail is pretty sweet. (Actually the aries says up to 15" drop but it doesn't look like that.)
That is why I opted for them as well. I like the ledge on the housing which also serves as a step and to protect doors from dings by careless parking lot neighbors.

allenn

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl 4 Door
Iā€™ve had the amp steps on previous trucks and loved them. When getting steps for the Jeep I went with the Rockslide steps because of the slider function. I donā€™t expect to be banging off rocks every day, but didnā€™t want to risk that investment when wheeling.

Having and installing both now I will share some observations. The AMP boards are much wider and easier to step up on. It has taken a bit to get used to the narrower steps on the Rockslide, but just as solid. Amp uses the door light wires as a trigger and the Rockslide uses magnets at the doors as triggers. Both work, but my OCD says I like Amps method better. There is more work installing the AMP wiring harness, but it appeals to my ā€œclean wiringā€ mantra. Both have a clean line when retracted and deploy easily to a very usable height, JLUR with 35ā€™s and no lift.

Iā€™ve dealt with customer service at both companies. AMP was acceptable and what weā€™ve all come to expect with regard to response time and competent replies. Rockslide on the other hand is exceptional in my opinion. My passenger side step started to fail after a couple weeks and I reached out to them and sent pics / video to their customer service. They were fantastic with their response and had a new step out to me within a week. This was late last summer when lead times were 8-10 weeks so impressive response.

So hind sight being 20/20 what would I do if I had to do it again?.... I would go with the AMP standard.
Great review Iā€™ve been trying to get answer maybe you know. Can you trim the back of the rockslide steps ? I need to cut a few inches off the back end so my tires want rub. The amp steps will not fit with the lift I have. Thanks.

shacdaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Sting-Gray

shacdaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Sting-Gray
Side note, 1 lesson learned on having these installed:

Make sure your passengers are aware of/remember them. My mother-in-law forgot about them and nearly face-planted getting out of the truck :CWL:

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jeeporama

Jeeporama

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

Post pics of your clean wiring mantra. I wanna see.

OP
OP
Jeeporama

Jeeporama

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the input everyone. I'm still on the fence, but it seems there isnt really a bad choice.
It seems the aries is an in between of the Amp and the RSE. I almost want to try the aries just because no one else has :giggle:

Once I make the decision and get something, I'll try to do a video.

M1kefries

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Great review Iā€™ve been trying to get answer maybe you know. Can you trim the back of the rockslide steps ? I need to cut a few inches off the back end so my tires want rub. The amp steps will not fit with the lift I have. Thanks.
Not sure whether you are looking to trim the deployable step or the rock slider that encases it? If it is just the step I would probably. If it is the slider then a lot of fab would be involved.
Sponsored