Which winch should I buy

Bearman95

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
So you're saying the Chinese Warn winches are better than the Chinese Brand X winches?

All I know is that if you read the torture testing article, you'll see that Warn winches are multiple times more expensive and internally they are built no better than anything else on the market. They do have some nice features, but mechanically they are no stronger than anything else out there. Wise shoppers will do actual comparison before buying, rather than just buying a Warn because it has a Warn sticker on it.

WarnChina.jpg
No where did I mention a warn vr winch . There is a lot of difference between a warn Vr and a warn Zeon. But you buy what you want Just as I have over the years. The guy asked which winch should he buy and I gave him my opinion.
Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
So you're saying the Chinese Warn winches are better than the Chinese Brand X winches?

All I know is that if you read the torture testing article, you'll see that Warn winches are multiple times more expensive and internally they are built no better than anything else on the market. They do have some nice features, but mechanically they are no stronger than anything else out there. Wise shoppers will do actual comparison before buying, rather than just buying a Warn because it has a Warn sticker on it.

WarnChina.jpg
Warn VR series winches are made in china and are specifically advertised as being entry level. Warn ZEON winches are made in the US and are much different.

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu rubicon. Surfboard. Bare feet, moose drawn air sled, Interstellar time warp space transport fighter
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
Look at the super winch 10 k exp it sets anew standard for winches. I was a big warn fan but after there terrible customer service and the way the "mag rags" "cow towd" to warn n the 2011 comaprison I just felt that if the winch didn't finish the shoot out how can it be the winner. and if warn didn't step and say hey our winch didn't do so great here is how we ar emaking better. Why Buy there?

Five Seasons

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Rubicon, 2009 BMW 135i, 2002 Honda S2000,
Warn built a good reputation years ago, from the outside it feels like they are just riding the wave.

I purchased an M8000 based on reputation at the same time my friend bought a Smittybuilt. I made fun of him until my warn failed on the first use due to water intrusion, was told that they didn't seal them because "if water may get in it will need a way out". Its an electric motor and gear train operating in some of the harshest conditions I can imagine....

The were great with warranty and free sent parts to fix it, but that didn't matter much when i needed it most. A few years later the winding's in the electric motor failed. The smittybuilt winch also failed but it was a connection failure at the motor brushes which was repairable.

Had a great experience with a M8274. I am currently looking at a Zeon 10-s and am hoping its more like M8274 than the M8000.

dannko

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL Unlimited
Happy with my new Warn VR10S so far.

z.jpg
some have reported a lot of rust, how about you?

Did this fit without any issues? What plate did you use?

Personally I won't need a winch much, but don't want to spend $1500 on a winch, rather put that money elsewhere.

Sponsored

POWDO

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase

Personally I won't need a winch much, but don't want to spend $1500 on a winch, rather put that money elsewhere.
No rust yet but it is only a month old. I bought in on Amazon for around $800 and it was a direct fit to the Warn Elite Full Bumper I have.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service

A lot of rust on a winch? Where are people seeing this?

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu rubicon. Surfboard. Bare feet, moose drawn air sled, Interstellar time warp space transport fighter
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
do your self a favor look a the Superwinch exp serie thier elctronics are fully potted and rated to an IP 69 come up winches are rated to an IP68 and they show their winches operating under water.

dannko

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL Unlimited
Has anyone used the Engo SR on their JL? Leaning to that if it fits well.

BostonJohn13

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR, 05 Wrangler Unlimited
here is the link to the winch review everyone is citing.
http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/129-1107-massive-multi-winch-shootout/
The interesting thing about these tests are that during the stall tests all of the models operated past their max pull rating with Warn, Superwinch, and Tmax going ~68% past their ratings.

There are a couple ways to look at this. The winches that suffered catastrophic failure did so while exceeding their ratings, so should they be penalized for it?

On the other hand a winch that stalls past its rating and does not fail could be considered a superior design.

I think they should have tested for max number of pulls at max rating a winch could take before it fails. Then we could get better feel for durability within the manufacturers specs...

Sponsored

Maxdady

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray Rubicon
All good info here, thanks!
I figure a good, solid winch is around or less than the cost of a single "off-road" rescue call to a tow service that provides those type of things.
I was leaning the Warn way due to that little red sticker, mostly. Now I will do much more research before purchasing. :)

Last edited:

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Retired engineer (NASA, aerospace, DoD); ex-Navy
Vehicle Showcase
The problem with electric winches is that there is a duty cycle associated with them and you cannot use them continuously. A hydraulic winch can be used all day long without a problem. For my XJ, I went with a hydraulic winch. I still have that winch, but I'm not sure if it can be used with the JL's power steering pump since it is electric instead of engine driven these days. If your engine is not running, a hydraulic winch is not going to be moving you anywhere though. An electric winch might move you a bit before the battery dies, but don't be expecting it to last for that long.

On the other hand, a hi-lift type jack with some chains and cables will last as long as *you* can last. If you have to use it to "winch" yourself 100 ft, you're going to get yourself a bit of a workout. :)

American Adventurist

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 StingGray JLUR
do your self a favor look a the Superwinch exp serie thier elctronics are fully potted and rated to an IP 69 come up winches are rated to an IP68 and they show their winches operating under water.
THIS.

I've had Warn winches (M8000 and 16.5Ti). Warn makes good winches and I still like them but the Superwinch EXP is the best thing on the market now, period.

An often overlooked feature is the BRAKE on whatever winch you buy - most are a cone brake which is not the strongest design. The EXP has a gearbox end disc brake - way better for holding power in an emergency.

Another thing I like is the automatic clutch - if you do a bunch of winching you'll learn it's hard work, that clutch really makes things easier. After freespooling your winchline out, there’s no need for another trip back to the winch. So nice.

For me, I don't trust anything made by Harbor Freight, Smittybilt etc. Comeup is OK, but I don't like made in China if I can avoid it. Why would I choose a Chinese brand over an American one? At least Warn and Superwinch have made in USA models still.

Bill Burke uses Superwinch so for me the choice was easy. I chose the EXP 12si on my JLUR.

https://superwinch.com/products/superwinch-exp-series?variant=4342518284315

69991269-8EFA-4F7A-B671-BADAD3E87C8E.jpeg

75965BD0-F1AD-4B41-9AE0-4E8C70BB2FDB.jpeg

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
Me too I went with the 10 k superwinch. Waht plate did you use? any tips on the installation? I am doing mine in the next few days?

As far as the shootout goes. That is a good point. But it doesn't justify awarding warn the win when their winch did not complete the competition. All the winches went through the same test, and some did not fail. plus if youthink about warn beingthe most expesive in the group should have finished which would have help justify their higher price. IMHO
Sponsored