www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR (Wrikki), 2018 Grand Sport (V)
Occupation
Retired puter dork
Vehicle Showcase
Looking in manual it seems its a required step to use straps to secure top:
Capture.PNG

This explains why it bounces and rattles unacceptably, going to try this tomorrow. I expect seat belts to flap, and kinds of wind stuff, I dotn expect the top to be bouncing around and rattling like crazy.
I'm pretty sure I tested it this way and the top can still move up and down. Maybe that's supposed to be ok since the whole bundle is bouncing together, but I didn't like it. I like adding the big straps in the back around the back window bar.
Sponsored

Reactions: RTJ

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
Looking in manual it seems its a required step to use straps to secure top:
Capture.PNG

This explains why it bounces and rattles unacceptably, going to try this tomorrow. I expect seat belts to flap, and kinds of wind stuff, I dotn expect the top to be bouncing around and rattling like crazy.
Interestingly enough, this does not show up in the owners manual that is loaded into my uconnect. I never got a paper manual...

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
Not yet. I have a JK with a premium top that’s working fine with no wear at 45k miles and 6 years old. I’d like to upgrade to a JL because of all the collective small improvements they made from the JK, but it seems every improvement they made created a disadvantage somewhere else. (I.e. ESS, top wears out, sunshades scratch the painted rollbars, fenders trap debris at the body seams, etc). Along with all the price increases, I’m beginning to have doubts this is worth it.
These seem like very minor (and debatable) issues. None of the above "issues" have even been issues for me. YMMV. Keep your JK, buy a JL, whatever. Just may want to leave the reporting of issues, or the criticism there of, to those who are actually owning/using/reporting them.

I keep my top down 90% of the time (have owned it since the first of March). I'll go out and take a look at it and snap a pic of mine when I grab some lunch.

Kadonny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Manual Trans Front Spacers, 2010 JKU Wrangler Sport
I'm pretty sure I tested it this way and the top can still move up and down. Maybe that's supposed to be ok since the whole bundle is bouncing together, but I didn't like it. I like adding the big straps in the back around the back window bar.
Agree fully. Any place I put straps on the side frames the thing still bounced. I tried a bunch of different places to no avail. The straps around the acutal fabric is the only thing that stopped my flapping/bouncing.

PavementWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL
Interestingly enough, this does not show up in the owners manual that is loaded into my uconnect. I never got a paper manual...
looks like they have been reving it based on the name, I downloaded teh latest from mopar, notice its name:
2018-All_New_Wrangler-OM-3rd_R2.pdf

I dont think the "quick setup" for the top showed this step either. Its obviously required unless you enjoy loud rattling and excessive bouncing

Sponsored

PavementWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL
It probably stops the rattling and play up top, I agree the lowered top will need a strap. The key on the straps for the top are to not create any stress compression where the top seals to front window. Strapping to the brackets and staying off of top looks ideal.

There are "boots" you can buy to cover the entire thing, for another 100 bucks it might be worth it if you keep the top down (For me its sounding worth due this big palm tree dumping a mega ton of little flowery things that stick to the top daily)

Majestic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKUR, 2019 JLUR
These seem like very minor (and debatable) issues. None of the above "issues" have even been issues for me. YMMV. Keep your JK, buy a JL, whatever. Just may want to leave the reporting of issues, or the criticism there of, to those who are actually owning/using/reporting them.

I keep my top down 90% of the time (have owned it since the first of March). I'll go out and take a look at it and snap a pic of mine when I grab some lunch.
A design flaw is a design flaw regardless if you own the Jeep or not. Sure if you already own the Jeep and have to make a run to Home Depot to fix a small design error, it could be considered “minor” and “debatable”. However trading in a JK to get a JL for all of the collectively minor improvements, just to find out most of them require some other level of design compromise is a bit more disenchanting.
Jeep has been making soft tops for over 70 years. There’s no reason each consecutive generation shouldn’t be better in every way with no compromises.

obwahn

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired puter dork
Vehicle Showcase
Here's a new strap method I'm trying out. I didn't notice any bouncing while I was out and about today. So far I like this better since I'm no longer putting any stress on the back window bar, in fact I removed it and stuck it in the garage.
IMG_1097 2.jpg
IMG_1098 2.jpg

OP
OP
szobell

szobell

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR
Here's a new strap method I'm trying out. I didn't notice any bouncing while I was out and about today. So far I like this better since I'm no longer putting any stress on the back window bar, in fact I removed it and stuck it in the garage.
IMG_1097 2.jpg
IMG_1098 2.jpg
I might give that a try. Put my top up for the first time in months today and there is no additional wear after 5k miles with it down (no rain this summer).

Keeping the big straps.

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
IMG_1097 2.jpg
IMG_1098 2.jpg
I remove the back window bar and then wrap around the soft top cloth to cinch it up. Same as you did before but without the bar left in place. Just around the fabric that is folded down. It does not bounce at all and keeps it nice and compact.

Sponsored

obwahn

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired puter dork
Vehicle Showcase
I remove the back window bar and then wrap around the soft top cloth to cinch it up. Same as you did before but without the bar left in place. Just around the fabric that is folded down. It does not bounce at all and keeps it nice and compact.
It might be different on the 2dr. I found that it bounced when I did it the "original" way. No bounce so far like this.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
I use straps too and don’t have wear after 5,000 Miles. But honestly i don’t enjoy the top down over 50 miles per hour. When i am traveling on the highway i put the top up.

obwahn

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired puter dork
Vehicle Showcase
I use straps too and don’t have wear after 5,000 Miles. But honestly i don’t enjoy the top down over 50 miles per hour. When i am traveling on the highway i put the top up.
It can get "breezy". We have one spot that is notorious for cross winds. Not fun there but most times I still enjoy the totally nekkid ride. Mileage takes a hit too.

Jimbo344

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
On one of these threads someone reported wear marks and tried to get it repaired / replaced under warranty , FCA and the dealership told them to take a hike.. shocking

MotownJLU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Wrangler, 2011 Chevy Suburban
I have just 4,000 miles on my JLUR and about 2k with the premium soft top down while i am on the freeway.

I noticed tonight there is already some wear on the top from abrasion while it is down. If it is this way with that few miles on it - What will it be at 80k miles?

Anyone else seeing this?

Pic 1 up close
Pic 2 showing where to wear is. (This is the pillar in the passenger side)

26D75346-110A-4F4F-AD28-2DB5F0C92805.jpeg

03194833-A631-4795-A782-48AFF28EBEAC.jpeg
Thanks so much for this post... I just ordered the straps you use! Question... Does this problem only occur with the top back fully? Will there be wear if it's folded back part-way in the sunrider position?
Sponsored