Sponsored

AUX Switches: Cable COLOR CODE Wiring Identification

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
I have the aux switches from the factory, but don't have the direct to battery or igition accessory...hmmmm
You don't have 6 wires in the passenger foot well??
Sponsored

sirryan

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
ok...belay my last. I thought there were six in both the engine bay and footwell. I have not checked the footwell yet. I have just checked under the hood where my ditch lights are wired. If they are only in the footwell, i am sure they are there.

jjc

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not yet
If you wire everything up to the battery, can you still configure them to be ignition-only via the Uconnection settings?

tesla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 3.6 Ocean Blue
If you wire everything up to the battery, can you still configure them to be ignition-only via the Uconnection settings?
No, if you wire something straight to the battery, it will always be on, ignition or not. The only thing you can configure in the Uconnect is switch settings. There isn't much that you would want to wire direct to the battery with no switch or relay, unless you like to have a dead battery

jjc

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not yet
No, if you wire something straight to the battery, it will always be on, ignition or not. The only thing you can configure in the Uconnect is switch settings. There isn't much that you would want to wire direct to the battery with no switch or relay, unless you like to have a dead battery
Ah, so the Ignition and Battery wires are not for use with Aux1-4? Are they on a separate circuit? Sorry if these are dumb questions.

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@jjc

There is no such thing as a dumb question!

Yes, those two wires are completely separate from Aux Switches... 1, 2, 3, and 4.

One wire gives to power from the battery that is on all the time and not switched.
The other wire only provides power when the ignition is on.

By the way, with the JL especially, it is best not to hook up wires (pos or neg) to the battery itself. Sure possible, but with caveats.

tesla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 3.6 Ocean Blue
Ah, so the Ignition and Battery wires are not for use with Aux1-4? Are they on a separate circuit? Sorry if these are dumb questions.
That’s right. The ignition one will be hot when the ignition is on and the battery on is always hot

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
That’s right. The ignition one will be hot when the ignition is on and the battery on is always hot
Does UConnect 3 with tow package allow to program switch behavior or is this only available with UConnect 4?

jpb

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, Soon 2019 JLR
Occupation
Engineer
What is the best place to wire multiple neutral/ground (black wire from relays) to if not the battery?

Sponsored

Bszczepanski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Unlimited
Today we installed a lighted whip on the back of the Jeep (mounted it on the tire carrier, relocation bracket / mount).

After much research we wanted to help and/or save others time finding and identifying the AUX cables.

Here is a short video and photo showing the wiring color codes and where to find them to install your Jeep accessories, which will work with your AUX switches.

The interior AUX cables / wires are located inside front passengers side footwell area or foot kick plate area (as the video and photo below shows).

Hope it helps!

2018-jeep-wrangler-jl-auxiliary-switches-jpg.jpg

Jeep Acc.jpg

Also underhood locations (posted by @Brazilbombsqd):

Aux Switch 1 F93 - 40 Amp Beige/Pink Interior (passenger side under instrument panel) & Underhood (right side near battery)
Aux Switch 2 F92 - 40 Amp Green/Pink Interior (passenger side under instrument panel) & Underhood (right side near battery)
Aux Switch 3 F103 - 15 Amp Orange/Pink Interior (passenger side under instrument panel) & Underhood (right side near battery)
Aux Switch 4 F108 - 15 Amp Dark Blue/Pink Interior (passenger side under instrument panel) & Underhood (right side near battery)
Battery F72 - 10 Amp Red/White Interior (passenger side under instrument panel)
Ignition F50 - 10 Amp Pink/Orange Interior (passenger side under instrument panel)

Also see other AUX switch discussions @ https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...switches-configuration-installation-diy.1477/
Dumb question. Want to hook up led rock lights to my auxiliary switch. 2 wires I have black and red. Would the red wire connect to one of the switch wires and my black one I need to ground? Is that correct? How many amps do I need. I’m assuming I could use 3 or 4 since they won’t draw to many amps.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dumb question. Want to look up rock lights to my auxiliary switch. 2 wires I have black and red. Would the red wire connect to one of the switch wires and my black one I need to ground? Is that correct?
No such thing as a dumb question.

Your answer is yes.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)