Squeal when starting JL?! **UPDATE NEW PROBLEM**

aqualung

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep JKU
My JLU Sport does it and so does my Wife’s 18 Grand Cherokee. I just assumed it was something with the starters and the ass system. Lol
Sponsored

Midwest22

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Add me to the list. Been doing this shortly after buying with no miles on it. Currently have 800 miles. Kinda annoying but, in a sad way, I guess I’m in the same boat as others. Something tells me that this is happening to a lot more people who haven’t search for this thread and commented.

MrSir

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited
11,500 kms in and I hear it almost every time. It's even more obnoxious with the windows down. Sounds awful and I fear the technicians will say its normal, which it clearly is not. Bad lot of belts perhaps?

xpsruler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sport
Add me to the list. Its pretty quiet and I didn't think too much of it. I can live with it but if its a problem I would like to know...Subbed.

Elganja

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Bright White JLUR, 2015 Dodge Viper GT, 2014 Audi R8 V10, 2015 Audi S3
same as others-- on startup you can hear it, and it DOES NOT do it during ESS operations

don't think it's an issue

Sponsored

jchie21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sport S 2D
Mine does the same thing but not all the time, only ~400miles on her. She usually squeals/chirps after it's all warmed up from a drive, i let it sit for 15-20 min and starting it back up again then it squeals/chirps. It's intermittent and doesn't always do it sometimes really loud sometimes just a tiny chirp. I manage to get it on video.

Dobro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ocean Blue Wrangler JLU Sport S
5k in and mine does it a lot and I care. Really loud in garage or parking structure. Don’t mind me just starting up my 2018 beater. Lol
I couldn't have said it better myself. I hear the same squeal upon startup. 6,100 miles... noticed it at around 5,000 miles.

parkertl

First Name
Parker
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 392 XR, 21 S Plaid, 03 Terminator
Another tick mark for this issue, 100 miles, 1 day old. This plus the crazy loose steering is creating a fair amount of regret.

TheJoyceIsYours

First Name
Brendan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.lbdesignworks.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Designer
Another tick mark for this issue, 100 miles, 1 day old. This plus the crazy loose steering is creating a fair amount of regret.
I believe the steering fix has been identified... I think it's basically turning up a knob on the power steering system. Should be a few threads on it somewhere.

parkertl

First Name
Parker
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 392 XR, 21 S Plaid, 03 Terminator
I believe the steering fix has been identified... I think it's basically turning up a knob on the power steering system. Should be a few threads on it somewhere.
Is it this...

If so, the dealers Ive worked with (3 in the first 20 hours of ownership) wont do it

Sponsored

TheJoyceIsYours

First Name
Brendan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.lbdesignworks.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Designer
Is it this...

If so, the dealers Ive worked with (3 in the first 20 hours of ownership) wont do it
Can't say for sure, I only read something quickly on it the other day. Sounds about right though.

xpsruler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sport
I experimented with my vehicle a bit and believe I found what the noise is related to. In my vehicle it only seems to occur when the brake pedal is pressed upon(such as when starting the vehicle from inside but not remote start). If I put hardly any pressure on the brake when starting then it doesn't do it either.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
I experimented with my vehicle a bit and believe I found what the noise is related to. In my vehicle it only seems to occur when the brake pedal is pressed upon(such as when starting the vehicle from inside but not remote start). If I put hardly any pressure on the brake when starting then it doesn't do it either.
Wow, nice catch on this. I'm going to try this every time I start it. As I noted in the thread the dealer sees this on all of the V6 with the 8 speed transmissions, i.e. they see it on the Cherokees as well which means it is "by design" so there is nothing to fix.

Durango18

First Name
Mohamed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge durango 2018 3.6 pentastar,and dodge durango 2007 5.7 hemi
Wow talk about timing! I just got the answer today!!
My JL Sahara is at the dealer now for a couple of things to be gone over. I mentioned this to the head of the service dept and he said he knew about it. He went out to the lot and produced the same chirp/squeal on the Grand Cherokees that had the engines warm, which have the same V6 and 8 speed tranny.
He said it happens on Jeeps that have the ESS setup... i.e. the Cherokees and the JL Wranglers. Believe it or not it's not the belt or starter like most people think. It comes from somewhere in the bell housing of the tranny, or in that general vicinity.
They spoke to Chrysler HQ and they basically said it is what it is. It's inherent to the design. I wouldn't sweat it, it's either going to become a serious issue that needs to be addressed or it will just be a Jeep Thing.

BTW... he is going to show me how to shut that stupid ESS off without having it disable the automatic start or have a warning light on the dash.
Hi there,I have the same issue on my 2018 durango,had the starter and torque converter replaced,nil help.
Did you manage to dissable the ESS and has the squeal gone away?

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Hi there,I have the same issue on my 2018 durango,had the starter and torque converter replaced,nil help.
Did you manage to dissable the ESS and has the squeal gone away?
Nope still there and as random as ever. Haven't disabled the ESS since then you get a little warning light on the dash, and my OCD will not allow that :) It would be interesting to see if some of the guys who have a Tazer and have disabled ESS are seeing this.
As you can see reading through the posts this isn't a "problem". The fact that your Durango did this is actually comforting because it shows it is inherent to the design, i.e. Durango, Cherokee and now the Wrangler have it.

@jchie21 nailed it with his video above. That is the sound exactly and sometimes it's a bit less abrupt and it's random.
I have moved on from this problem to some new ones! My tie rod and steering arm were both a little loose which is what they believe it causing the tires to feather. Tie rod will be in next week no ETA on steering arm.
AND... here's a zinger, check out my post on the phone ringing from my dashboard!!!
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...a-phone-ring-coming-from-the-dashboard.14948/
Sponsored