First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon
Occupation
Law Enforcement
I may have misspelled, but I put blocks behind my tires to limit the risk of the vehicle rolling.
Sponsored

FireCapt304Ret

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JLU
Thanks, I was confused as I have heard of the chalk test and thought that applied to the lift. Thanks again!

Csward12

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon
Occupation
Law Enforcement
If that’s what you use, yes.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Slim

Slim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2003 Mazda Miata, 1995 Ford Bronco
Slim, when you installed your lift did you loosen everything the manual requested to be "loosen, but not removed" ? I've watched videos of the install and don't remember anything being loosen like the manual requests. I'm thinking about starting my 2" lift install tomorrow, but the manual leaves a little to be desired. IF you did loosen those parts per the manual, did you leave everything loose, lower it to ground and then torque everything to spec at that time? Thanks!
Sorry, I just saw this. Yes, loosen everything they say to do. I did torque the bolts they indicated in the cartoons on assembly and then tightened and torqued the rest when the jeep was back on its tires.

FireCapt304Ret

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sorry, I just saw this. Yes, loosen everything they say to do. I did torque the bolts they indicated in the cartoons on assembly and then tightened and torqued the rest when the jeep was back on its tires.
Thank you for the reply! Started my install today, control arms kicked my butt, had to get under the Jeep and use my legs, still having troubles getting the lower passenger side bolt to line up. Done for today, friend coming over in the morning to help with that. Will see if I can get 190 lbs on them. So far that is the worst as you mentioned.

Csward12

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon
Occupation
Law Enforcement
Thank you for the reply! Started my install today, control arms kicked my butt, had to get under the Jeep and use my legs, still having troubles getting the lower passenger side bolt to line up. Done for today, friend coming over in the morning to help with that. Will see if I can get 190 lbs on them. So far that is the worst as you mentioned.
How were the front bump stops? That was the worst for me, honestly.

Trauma PA

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara Unlimited Sting Gray
Occupation
Saving seconds saves lives. Trauma Surgery PA.
I wasted over 2 hours trying to get the front passenger side bump stop installed. Really poor design IMO. I ended up removing the silver metal bracket that is holding wires/cables that sits right underneath the metal platform that supports the coil spring. Once I did that I could get a socket underneath that platform to tighten the nut that secures the bump stop. I then used a "C" clamp to grip the bump stop to keep it from turning as I tightened the nut underneath the platform. The driver's side bump stop was much easier to install.

Trauma PA

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara Unlimited Sting Gray
Occupation
Saving seconds saves lives. Trauma Surgery PA.
Hey Fire Captain. I am in Punta Gorda south of you. I just installed my kit this week so everything is fresh in my mind. Let me know if you have any questions and I can maybe guide you through any problem you might be experiencing. Send me a PM and I can send you my cell. The directions that come with the lift kit are totally useless. Mopar hired IKEA to draw up their installation instructions. Good luck and don't hesitate to reach out to me.
Robert

Sponsored

FireCapt304Ret

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've not gotten to those yet, but I will report back. I see they recommend placing those in the springs before mounting the springs. I'm thinking of using channel locks to hold the stops while the nut is tighten. I'll post how it goes...

FireCapt304Ret

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hey Fire Captain. I am in Punta Gorda south of you. I just installed my kit this week so everything is fresh in my mind. Let me know if you have any questions and I can maybe guide you through any problem you might be experiencing. Send me a PM and I can send you my cell. The directions that come with the lift kit are totally useless. Mopar hired IKEA to draw up their installation instructions. Good luck and don't hesitate to reach out to me.
Robert
Thank you very much for your generous offer and PM, I will give you a call and most likely take you up on your offer! I agree with your comments about the manual! I've looked at the torque specs page, I'm still wondering if I'll be able to piece that info together. Thanks again!

FireCapt304Ret

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I used a medium sized channel lock pliers and a small rachet wrench for the driver's side, I placed the bump stop inside the spring before installing it and it was not bad, took a little while due to lack of room to swing the wrench. THE PASSENGER SIDE! That was a pain! My helper had to drive home and get his large Channel Lock pliers, so I could grab the stop, I also had to use a large box wrench and the spring to apply downwards pressure to the top of the stop while my helper used the rachet wrench to tighten the nut. I'd still rate the stop as PIA #2 next the control arms being the biggest pain. I snugged stuff up, then pull the Jeep out and turned it around and drove straight into the garage so I can start the back. There were many noised due to things not being torqued, so I was very easy while moving it. I'll finish the back, lower, torque, adjust the steering and headlights, then take for an alignment. I will have MANY hours into this...my first lift. Many thanks to Slim and everyone else that have helped along this journey!

Dewey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUS
Tip for future installers Don't use the tension nut supplied in the bag for the front bump stops, and chase the threads once before installing. I used a standard nut with lock washer. Super easy to install.

FireCapt304Ret

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Slim I fell into the installing of the back bump stops per the manual!!! Had to take them off today during the final spec torque process. Slim warned us, and at the time I did not see anything that would get in the way. IT DOES! Don't put the Rear Bump Stops on until After final torqueing to specs!

IMG_2631 (2).jpg
Sponsored

Last edited: