Mopar 2” lift kit questions.

Loki Kai

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Take down notes before you confront management detailing each specific INCORRECT install issue. Then DEMAND a full refund. Explain that due to their obvious incompetence you are not comfortable with them correcting anything. Emphasize the install in its current state is potentially unsafe and your intention is to have it corrected by a QUALIFIED and KNOWLEDGEABLE installer. I would suggest a forum member with experience or an install shop that will READ and FOLLOW the instructions that came with the kit. I hope you got your bumpstop blocks and original parts back. BTW, something else to check are your lower control arms. Inexperienced installers sometimes only change ONE or neither because they assume they are the same as stock due to appearance. They look the same but have slightly different lengths. Again...GOOD LUCK!
Sponsored

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Blows my mind... I’ve installed 10 of these lifts, friends, family, friends of friends, it’s got to be one of the easiest if not the easiest lifts to install....:facepalm:
Hopefully op, they make it right. @Loki Kai has a good point about taking notes with you. It’s easy to forget stuff when you’re seeing red....:)

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
OP let us know how they resolve. Curious for my own sake since this pointed out mine are installed wrong also. Thanks for that by the way. I emailed my salesman last night for assistance since this is the 3rd issue related to my lift and also the first one they had ever done.

Thanks.

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

if the shop did this poorly installing this lift kit id have a hard time giving them a second chance to do it right. not that they're going to be interested in spending even more hours redoing everything. most likely they'll say theyre right, youre wrong, go pound sand. at that point id prepare to take them to small claims court. and if so, possibly take it to another shop and have them document with photos/writing everything that was done wrong that they had to correct.

hopefully you paid with a CC and can potentially reverse the transaction...? if its not a lot of $ for the install, maybe just take it as a learning lesson and stay far away from that shop. and go on yelp/everywhere and warn people to do the same. if there work is THIS bad they wont be around for long.

if I can do the install in my driveway following the directions i would certainly hope a "professional" shop that does this for a living should be able to bang it out with their eyes closed. this looks like my dad worked on it. he doesnt read the directions, until he's redoing it. he just rips open the package and starts doing it (whatever it is). that looks like what happened here. :headbang:

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Just curious about something. Could any damage be caused by having the shorter front shocks on the back? I've got a lot of experience working on heavy equipment, and it's never good to have the hydraulic piston on the rod hitting the gland nut on full extension.

Sponsored

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Just curious about something. Could any damage be caused by having the shorter front shocks on the back? I've got a lot of experience working on heavy equipment, and it's never good to have the hydraulic piston on the rod hitting the gland nut on full extension.
I was always taught shocks are never to be limiting straps but on most coil spring vehicles they are, including our JL's

At full droop the only thing keeping your coils in place is your shocks, even if it's just hanging on a lift. You've maybe seen XJ guys do a cone in the coils and then they set it up to drop out even more and the cone relocates the coil in it's bucket as things close up again

I'd be far more worried about shocks that are too long, you really don't want the shock fully compressed and then subjected to further compression - IOW shocks definitely ain't bump stops ;)

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
And in the defense of any dealership and most indy shops....just like anything else it only takes one bad apple (employee)

In cases like the OP's I'd guess they were overloaded and/or had a LOF tech they thought was capable of more -- and capable of reading instructions.

Their error was not having a senior tech closely check the kid's work before letting it out the door. Again, it's possible their senior tech was sick and their #2 was out with a pregnant wife or something...

I'd try to find the tech with gray hair and bi-focals and a "why the fuck are you bothering me" look on his face and insist you want him to fix it. Not kidding.

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was always taught shocks are never to be limiting straps but on most coil spring vehicles they are, including our JL's

At full droop the only thing keeping your coils in place is your shocks, even if it's just hanging on a lift. You've maybe seen XJ guys do a cone in the coils and then they set it up to drop out even more and the cone relocates the coil in it's bucket as things close up again

I'd be far more worried about shocks that are too long, you really don't want the shock fully compressed and then subjected to further compression - IOW shocks definitely ain't bump stops ;)
I take my ‘19 JLUR in Monday for them to correct my shocks installed the same as well as check everything else. I was most worried about the front shocks being long. In Colorado last month I’m sure I flexed the front suspension enough to hit full bump. However, with the collapsed length being more than 3” longer, I’m certain the bump stop wasn’t long enough to keep the shock from bottoming out. I’m going to insist they replace all 4 shocks. Do you think they will?

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’m almost sure the back plastic ones should be in the back .

Red is from right . Blue front left. .

6B7FEE84-F6F1-4461-BE37-B8F0A14164FC.jpeg

FA8EA3C3-2D1C-4FD1-875B-A265AC78B1B7.jpeg

657FB7E4-5989-4D6B-809E-5E128FA86349.jpeg

F947DAFA-994B-4210-A8E5-CDCAB84B18D8.jpeg

6C8F858B-80E1-415F-8267-90D381E6F854.jpeg

0563255E-8FCE-4F1A-9BBC-123E56E509EB.jpeg
how did it go when you went back??? I’m supposed to go in Monday night to talk to someone. A tech from Texas was telling me I need to demand a whole new kit installed.

Loki Kai

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Springs will be fine once corrected. Shocks, who knows. Depends on how you have used it since install. I would ask for refund and correct the issues myself. That would also give you an opportunity to make a few needed upgrades like RK spring pads, front track bar, and rear track bar relocation bracket. You would be good to go then and know it was right. Good Luck!

Sponsored

OP
OP

Bfranks100

First Name
Beau
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL Wrangler Sport S
how did it go when you went back??? I’m supposed to go in Monday night to talk to someone. A tech from Texas was telling me I need to demand a whole new kit installed.
I only had the kit on for a few days so mine barely got any use . Anyway , they fixed everything and it rides much better now . It was really stiff in the beginning , now rides smooth . Lesson learned though , if I do anything else I’ll do it myself .

Jimmy_jak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Even dealerships get it wrong.

20191012_085835.jpg

rcc1123

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara
I had a shop install a Mopar 2” lift kit on JL wrangler .
I don’t know much about this stuff but I have a few questions .

1.) when I got back home and went over a speed bump the back feels like it’s slamming and metal is hitting , almost like there’s no spring or shock absorption . ( the front feels good )
Any idea what that is ?

2.) for anyone that has the lift I saw online that the shocks with the black plastic was to be in the back of the JL to protect against rocks etc , However they’re installed on the front and he’s telling me that’s how it’s suppose to be . So am I wrong or are they ?

3,) lastly I don’t notice the bump stops on the back of the JL installed . Could that cause issue ?
1.) Sounds like they put the rear springs on the front.

2.) the shocks with the black plastic are the REAR shocks.

3.) Mopar uses the stock bump stops and don't replace them, so they should still be there.

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not the OP but for what its worth.... dropped off at the dealer today. they're removing everything and installing a whole new kit. Hopefully not starting over with issues. we'll see I guess.
Sponsored