Sponsored

2.0L turbo Jeep Wrangler JL Delivered Today

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
Can we save this thread for people who are actually having experiences with the 2.0 turbo? I'm interested in what people that are driving them have to say, there are plenty of other threads about the hypothetical validity/usefulness/downfalls etc.. In other places.
Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Can we save this thread for people who are actually having experiences with the 2.0 turbo? I'm interested in what people that are driving them have to say, there are plenty of other threads about the hypothetical validity/usefulness/downfalls etc.. In other places.
well so far only one person has seen the 2.0. When my dealer gets one in I'll let you know what I think about the test drive.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

GordonZoo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram ED
Occupation
Most Everything
I couldn't wait for the 3.0 and went 3.6 for my wrangler. I wanted a little quieter engine this time anyways and didn't want the $4-K extra payment. I have the 3.0 in my Ram and I have to say it's the best truck and engine I've ever owned and I've had a many over the years. I know everything about the spun bearing issue and how it can be oil starved in certain load conditions so I got an extended warranty. I'm always at the 30 MPG range and I do 50/50 highway/city and 80 on the highway when I can. Putting the engine in a 2500.lb lighter Wrangler will be fun. I would also expect mid 30's on MPG. Especially with a GDE tune. The 2.0 gave a little better performance but didn't sound like a great gas miser option that would make me want to wait on it. Hope everyone gets their 2.0 soon.

Sponsored

phatjoe

First Name
VJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram Powerwagon, 2019 Wrangler JL Rubicon
For sure, this newer 4 cylinder is light years ahead of what they produced many moons ago....but it's still funny to think of a 4 cylinder turning 35-37 inch tires. Reminds me of when people put BIG tires on their Suzuki Samurai :cwl:

funny pic.jpg

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
You do realize this is 2018 and not the 80's anymore right? One of the best motors made right now are the Ford twin turbo.
Are we talking about the Ford twin turbo that was so problematic and was the subject of so many TSBs and safety recalls that Ford pulled it from the market after just 5 model years and replaced it with a totally new version that shared zero parts with the original? Or are we talking about the one they put in the Mustang that has a history of cracked blocks between the #2 and #3 cylinder? Or...are we talking about the one that was the subject of a popular magazine article in which it earned the nickname "EcoBust" because it got 9 miles per gallon while towing and missed it's EPA target while empty by a huge margin?

The Ford Coyote V8 is superior to any twin turbo engine they've ever put their name on in every conceivable category.

Oddly V6 lovers will hate the 2.0L Turbo 4 but the facts are, it has more torque than the V6 and better gas mileage. Two things which the Wrangler sorely needs. Not sure why the folks at Jeep couldn't tweak out a torquer V6 for the Wrangler but that's what you get when you pick off the other car line's shelf. We shall soon see just how dependable the turbo is in these vehicles and can't wait for diesel option, either. ;-)
If you save a few dollars on gasoline, but you're in the shop with a repair every 10,000 miles on average, how much money do you actually save?

AZShawn

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Waiting on reviews including 37” tires and MPG. I have an extensive history of building and tuning 2.0l turbo imports and can’t imagine MPG remaining decent if the engine is under constant load.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Waiting on reviews including 37” tires and MPG. I have an extensive history of building and tuning 2.0l turbo imports and can’t imagine MPG remaining decent if the engine is under constant load.
Yeah but seriously how good MPG will anything get with 37" tires? Most people that put on the bigger tires don't seem to care if their mileage goes down and they know what they're getting themselves into.

AZShawn

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Yeah but seriously how good MPG will anything get with 37" tires? Most people that put on the bigger tires don't seem to care if their mileage goes down and they know what they're getting themselves into.
Exactly... makes me wonder what the point is. I’d be interested if performance remains elevated and drivability “fun” faster as witnessed in early YouTube reviews.

Sponsored

RubiconGaby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon granite, 2006 Rubicon beige, 1995 green Sahara, 1995 Sport aqua with splash (hers), 1995 Sahara beige (his). 2005 liberty and 2006 grand Cherokee limited
Vehicle Showcase
Barely on both fronts.......There won’t be much of a difference 0-60, although the Turbo will perform slightly better (of course). I can’t imagine an aftermarket exhaust jazzing up the note on a Turbo 4 without it sounding like something out of Fast & Furious movies though. The MPG window sticker comparison doesn’t show much of a variance at all either, especially after you add the extra cost for premium fuel. It just goes to show though, no matter what the people are buying, manufacturers offset costs so that the consumer can never win lol.
Yeah, 'cause the 3.6 sounds so awesome!

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Exactly... makes me wonder what the point is. I’d be interested if performance remains elevated and drivability “fun” faster as witnessed in early YouTube reviews.
The point being giving buyers the option of a 4 cylinder engine that gets better mileage and enhances the day to day drive-ability (especially in the city) while still maintaining its off-road capabilities. While I don't expect everyone to upsize their tires, the 2.0 should handle it just as well as the v-6 and have similar drop in fuel mileage as expected. I've ridden in a 2.5 liter TJ with 35" tires and it still made highway speeds with only 120 Hp so the 270 should make that seem like child's play.

2015er

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler 2-dr Rubicon & 2015 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4
The point being giving buyers the option of a 4 cylinder engine that gets better mileage and enhances the day to day drive-ability (especially in the city) while still maintaining its off-road capabilities. While I don't expect everyone to upsize their tires, the 2.0 should handle it just as well as the v-6 and have similar drop in fuel mileage as expected. I've ridden in a 2.5 liter TJ with 35" tires and it still made highway speeds with only 120 Hp so the 270 should make that seem like child's play.
I am returning as a Jeep owner because of the 2.0 turbo (2 door Rubicon on order) - in my opinion Jeep should have offered such an engine long ago.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I am returning as a Jeep owner because of the 2.0 turbo (2 door Rubicon on order) - in my opinion Jeep should have offered such an engine long ago.
Nice, I was looking at getting another Ram but the new JLs (especially the 2.0) made me really take a serious look at the Wranglers. I wound up getting the V-6 instead of waiting but I'll get my hands one one of these little turbos to see how it really goes soon.
Sponsored