Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
LOL....man I would never buy a first gen turbo from jeep. It just screams "headache" to me. If they can't get the cruise control right (which has been around for years) corrected, and I heard about the "service shifter soon" that is popping up, there is no way I would be a guppy for a 2.0 turbo....no way, no how.

I mean think about it.... WTF would you need a turbo in a non aero-dynamic vehicle????????? lol

(and Yes I already know that semi trucks have turbo's in theirs, but used for a completely different reason)
The turbocharger has nothing to do with aerodynamics, and all to do with performance of the engine itself. It has more torque than the V-6 and far better city mileage rating to boot(18-V6, 22-I4). Believe me, there is a purpose for this engine. And if you don't like it... there's a perfectly good V6 to buy.

JeepJL18

First Name
Jeep
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I will not be participating in this forum as of 8/31/2018. It's been a fun ride, but it's time to move on. Take care. - Dustin
Occupation
The turbocharger has nothing to do with aerodynamics, and all to do with performance of the engine itself. It has more torque than the V-6 and far better city mileage rating to boot(18-V6, 22-I4). Believe me, there is a purpose for this engine. And if you don't like it... there's a perfectly good V6 to buy.
lol. If i wanted it, I would have waited for it. I bought the perfectly good V6 you were talking about.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
lol. If i wanted it, I would have waited for it. I bought the perfectly good V6 you were talking about.
And I also bought a V-6 because I couldn't wait for the delays in the engine... Trade in Vehicle was going to need some transmission work if I kept it for much longer and I would have been stuck with it for a while.

I'm still going to take one of the turbos on a test drive to see how it really performs.

JeepJL18

First Name
Jeep
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I will not be participating in this forum as of 8/31/2018. It's been a fun ride, but it's time to move on. Take care. - Dustin
Occupation
And I also bought a V-6 because I couldn't wait for the delays in the engine... Trade in Vehicle was going to need some transmission work if I kept it for much longer and I would have been stuck with it for a while.

I'm still going to take one of the turbos on a test drive to see how it really performs.
yeah lemme know man...i know the 18 wheelers have them for extra torque as my FIL used to drive one...the f*cking turbo would go out all the time, lol....

Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
yeah lemme know man...i know the 18 wheelers have them for extra torque as my FIL used to drive one...the f*cking turbo would go out all the time, lol....
Yeah... Naturally aspirated diesels are virtually non-existent for a reason. I've driven old HMMWVs with those 6.2 NA Diesel engines... and the rated 150Hp was a pretty generous number for how it actually performed...

RUSTYS

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Occupation
Guitar slinger
You do realize this is 2018 and not the 80's anymore right? One of the best motors made right now are the Ford twin turbo.

JeepJL18

First Name
Jeep
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
You do realize this is 2018 and not the 80's anymore right? One of the best motors made right now are the Ford twin turbo.
Thanks Rusty. I didn't know the year yet. Appreciate the help!

RUSTYS

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Occupation
Guitar slinger
You just sound so negative about the turbo and turbo's in general I thought I would point out the fact that they are taking over the market and with great success. No big deal.

JeepJL18

First Name
Jeep
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
You just sound so negative about the turbo and turbo's in general I thought I would point out the fact that they are taking over the market and with great success. No big deal.
The forum is about opinions and that's what I gave. I am sure someone would love it, but for me, It is just another thing to have to fix when it breaks, lol. I am not saying your opinion is right or wrong, nor is mine, but its mine. The cons outweigh the pros for me by 10 miles.

If the turbo gave me better mileage by like 10MPG, then I would consider, or if I was pulling something that would require more torque than the 3.6 already offers.

In other words, I wouldn't buy it just to say i bought it, or to show it off. (less HP but a shade more torque)

Here is the quick spec:

Turbocharged 2.0L I4 Engine
produces best-in-class 270 horsepower, 295 lb-ft of torque and it features eTorque technology.

3.6L Pentastar V6 Engine
produces 285 horsepower and 260 lb-ft of torque.

Last edited:

Sponsored

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
The forum is about opinions and that's what I gave. I am sure someone would love it, but for me, It is just another thing to have to fix when it breaks, lol. I am not saying your opinion is right or wrong, nor is mine, but its mine. The cons outweigh the pros for me by 10 miles.

If the turbo gave me better mileage by like 10MPG, then I would consider, or if I was pulling something that would require more torque than the

In other words, I wouldn't buy it just to say i bought it, or to show it off. (less HP but a shade more torque)

Here is the quick spec:

roduces best-in-class 270 horsepower, 295 lb-ft of torque and it features eTorque technology.

3.6L Pentastar V6 Engine
You're kind of harsh on the turbo but I do agree with most of what you said. While it will likely perform better offoad becuase the torque numbers are higher then the v6 down low there still isnt enough there to justify the motor. I've read some reviews where the driver couldnt tell the difference.

Plus the motor is actually heavier becuse of the BSG and associated do-dads. Then another battery to replace over time. Here is the DEZ batteries dont last long. Plus I recall BSG doesnt work as good in hot environments.

I want to be wrong on everything I just said.

JeepJL18

First Name
Jeep
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
You're kind of harsh on the turbo but I do agree with most of what you said. While it will likely perform better offoad becuase the torque numbers are higher then the v6 down low there still isnt enough there to justify the motor. I've read some reviews where the driver couldnt tell the difference.

Plus the motor is actually heavier becuse of the BSG and associated do-dads. Then another battery to replace over time. Here is the DEZ batteries dont last long. Plus I recall BSG doesnt work as good in hot environments.

I want to be wrong on everything I just said.
You are right and I am sorry. I guess I shouldn't have skipped my coffee.

RUSTYS

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Occupation
Guitar slinger

If the turbo gave me better mileage by like 10MPG, then I would consider, or if I was pulling something that would require more torque than the 3.6 already offers.

Here is the quick spec:

produces best-in-class 270 horsepower, 295 lb-ft of torque and it features eTorque technology.

3.6L Pentastar V6 Engine
Agree 100% about the mileage. I couldn't wait to see the fuel numbers and when I did the V6 was a no brainer for me. Had the turbo put out 30-32 MPG I would have considered it.

JeepJL18

First Name
Jeep
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Agree 100% about the mileage. I couldn't wait to see the fuel numbers and when I did the V6 was a no brainer for me. Had the turbo put out 30-32 MPG I would have considered it.

Now if we are talking diesel, that will get my attention :) (that is for another thread though, i know)