Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Agree 100% about the mileage. I couldn't wait to see the fuel numbers and when I did the V6 was a no brainer for me. Had the turbo put out 30-32 MPG I would have considered it.
I think it would require an entirely new vehicle to put out 30+ MPG with a gas engine on a wrangler. However these JLs are astoundingly fuel efficient for what they are, as even with my V6 I'm seeing high 20s in my instant fuel economy readout on flat roads. I can see a 4 cylinder edging out just over 30 on the highway but to get your average to be that high it would require a total change in the nature of the Wrangler itself. Jeep already has that in the Cherokee, Compass and Renegade, so the Wrangler can still be a Wrangler.

The real deal for this mild hybrid system is the city driving I think. It goes from 18MPG city (v6 auto) to 22 MPG City. Now I know its all very subjective to the city you live in but it does give you an Idea as to how it can perform. If you don't live near a traffic light, then you probably won't care, but for a lot of us living in the city drags the mileage down hard. My Ram 1500 was averaging 19-20 before I moved back home to Winston, and it went down to 15 average since I moved here. I had to deal with a lot more stop lights and stop signs than I used to, so the 2.0 Wrangler would have been a good choice for me given the massive improvement it would have been.
Sponsored

Shooting or Jeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 RAV4
I think my biggest holdup follows the fact that this is a first year engine setup. No matter who or what makes it- I’d like to see history first. The fires didn’t help change my mind on this. Plus the cost.

Not to say I’ll nver buy one just because it’s a turbo or whatever- I’m just not the type to jump on a new engine out of the gate.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Now if we are talking diesel, that will get my attention :) (that is for another thread though, i know)
Well the thing is you just mocked the turbodiesel in your Father-In-Law's 18 Wheeler. Probably Pre-Coffee ;)

JeepJL18

First Name
Jeep
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I will not be participating in this forum as of 8/31/2018. It's been a fun ride, but it's time to move on. Take care. - Dustin
Occupation
I think my biggest holdup follows the fact that this is a first year engine setup. No matter who or what makes it- I’d like to see history first. The fires didn’t help change my mind on this. Plus the cost.

Not to say I’ll nver buy one just because it’s a turbo or whatever- I’m just not the type to jump on a new engine out of the gate.
Yahtzee!

Although everyone on here took a chance when they signed for their new JL as it is a new motor itself, but Jeep has had time to perfect this engine on the do's and don't on the build of it.

As far as the turbo being new, and a consideration for it, would take a few years to see if/when there would be any recalls to be considered a success in my book.

Evidently on this thread, no one likes my book, LOL Hey that's what families do, we argue! But at the end of the day, we are still jeep family.

JeepJL18

First Name
Jeep
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I will not be participating in this forum as of 8/31/2018. It's been a fun ride, but it's time to move on. Take care. - Dustin
Occupation
Well the thing is you just mocked the turbodiesel in your Father-In-Law's 18 Wheeler. Probably Pre-Coffee ;)
LOL! Man all I know is that truck wasn't that old and EVERY weekend i wanted to hang out with him, but he was stuck working on that damn turbo. I couldn't fault him as it was his way of making money, but damn, it costs me alot of valuable time. RIP.

Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
LOL! Man all I know is that truck wasn't that old and EVERY weekend i wanted to hang out with him, but he was stuck working on that damn turbo. I couldn't fault him as it was his way of making money, but damn, it costs me alot of valuable time. RIP.
Well I am sorry to hear he isn't here anymore. But I can also imagine any engine constantly under that load it hard to maintain as well.

JeepJL18

First Name
Jeep
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

kahrensjr

First Name
Kenton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Jeep Wrangler TJ
Oddly V6 lovers will hate the 2.0L Turbo 4 but the facts are, it has more torque than the V6 and better gas mileage. Two things which the Wrangler sorely needs. Not sure why the folks at Jeep couldn't tweak out a torquer V6 for the Wrangler but that's what you get when you pick off the other car line's shelf. We shall soon see just how dependable the turbo is in these vehicles and can't wait for diesel option, either. ;-)

Last edited:

PavementWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL
Oddly V6 lovers will hate the 2.0L Turbo 4 but the facts are, it has more torque than the V6 and better gas mileage. Two things which the Wrangler sorely needs. now all we need is a diesel option and the true Jeep mill choices will be complete.
I need the engine to be reliable #1, I will love/hate it after its been in some other models a few years and worked out its issues.

Wranglers should let other models prove out reliability before putting into the big leagues. Or maybe make the sierra test out all the new fancy lad stuff.

Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
thanks @Sean L

Also, check this out as far as the 2.0 Turbo.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...ed-with-cloth-heat-shield-over-battery.12095/

Something to consider.
oh yeah, I've read that thread. I'm not one to immediately shout "Fake News" but "A friend that works in the factory" isn't the most credible source of information as to the actual cause of the fires. Plenty of JKs, TJs, and YJs (especially my cousin's) have caught fire in the past for one reason or another. Not to say that the 48V battery isn't the sole reason this happened, I just would like to see some official information from Jeep instead of hearsay.

mazeppa

First Name
y = x/0
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Panda
Occupation
knife sharpening snob
I am happy for the people that ordered the 2.0L turbos will now be getting their Jeeps, many have been waiting a LONG time.

Mister_Sterling

First Name
Brendan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Elantra Touring
While I was at work today I noticed a couple JL’s being dropped off by the truck so I figured I’d go take a look at them since I always do. But I was shocked when I saw we received one with the 2.0 turbo...took it on a drive and was surprised by it. Definitely has some torque and turbo whine. Hopefully now people’s orders will start being delivered

863741F0-D5F6-4B59-9AC0-CEFEA2969C9D.jpeg

783269C3-E0F3-4831-8D42-BBC3289E2739.jpeg
Thanks for the updates! I think I still want the turbo next year. It would be my first Wrangler. I have driven thousands of miles in the JK with the Pentastar in Puerto Rico. Loved it. I just need a little more fuel efficiency and no fires.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I need the engine to be reliable #1, I will love/hate it after its been in some other models a few years and worked out its issues.

Wranglers should let other models prove out reliability before putting into the big leagues. Or maybe make the sierra test out all the new fancy lad stuff.
You mean the 2.0 engine thats been in 2 Alpha Romeo models, or the ESS thats been proven in the Grand Cherokee and Durango, and the 8 speed Transmission thats been proven in just about all RWD Models made by FCA? The only thing that's really new to FCA in the 2.0 Jeeps is the ETorque system, and that's not even a new technology as its an electric motor/generator and they've been around for over 120 years.

Bobbye75!

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18’ Wrangler Rubicon on order
Oddly V6 lovers will hate the 2.0L Turbo 4 but the facts are, it has more torque than the V6 and better gas mileage. Two things which the Wrangler sorely needs. now all we need is a diesel option and the true Jeep mill choices will be complete.
Barely on both fronts.......There won’t be much of a difference 0-60, although the Turbo will perform slightly better (of course). I can’t imagine an aftermarket exhaust jazzing up the note on a Turbo 4 without it sounding like something out of Fast & Furious movies though. The MPG window sticker comparison doesn’t show much of a variance at all either, especially after you add the extra cost for premium fuel. It just goes to show though, no matter what the people are buying, manufacturers offset costs so that the consumer can never win lol.
Sponsored