Sponsored

2018 Jeep Wrangler Price MSRP, 2.0L Turbo MPG, Colors Previews Shown in JL Internal Info Sheet

CantThinkOfAHandle

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 RAV4, 2015 BMW Diesel Sports Wagon
I had a BMW before, and my brother has one. They don't like to go on-road, much less off-road. Mine was plagued with electrical problems, and my brother's is, as well. He just dropped $6k to get the wiring re-done, and it needed a new stereo. It is a convertible, and it got a little water in it from a light rain shower. I wouldn't pay 10 grand for either of them.

I'll take the Jeep, please.
Yes, indeed, price aside, Jeeps are renowned for their build quality.
Sponsored

YFD_322

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GC, 2019 GC SRT
Is this new blue just like Hydro Blue?

TsundereKaho

First Name
Kaho
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 YJ, 12 JK Rubicon
I'd take it as a compliment since my 88 still runs with it's original engine.

$37k for the Rubicon doesn't sound too bad, but I'm sure I'll get up to 45k with all the options ^o^;;

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, indeed, price aside, Jeeps are renowned for their build quality.
I've had two. Both much better than the BMW. I've NEVER had an electrical problem. Cheap and easy to fix, if necessary, too.

Sponsored

OP
OP
DrPerez007

DrPerez007

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
See Signature
Occupation
Public Safety & Legal Consultant
UPDATE: Jay posted the following thread (link below) this afternoon and it is the December update on various things JL and even updates some things from the LA show that I posted on page 1. One comment on those black wheels at the LA show on the Hella Yellow JLU, they are neither likely to be standard nor necessarily even available to order as part of the vehicle delivery; I suspect they are going to be a MOPAR/Jeep after market accessory or maybe, knowing Jeep, even some wheel for a future special edition JL/U.

December JL Info Sheet - Updated Package Content, Colors, Selec-Trac, Remote Proximity

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Whatever you do, don't go looking at all the standard features on a $30,000 Grand Cherokee compared to Wrangler Sport S. I made that mistake yesterday.
Already have. Wife will be in the market for a Jeep once we get past Christmas. The Cherokee, in TrailHawk trim which is almost top of the line, can be bought for low $30Ks and it has a LOT more features, is more comfortable, and will do everything offroad a Wrangler will do minus the hard core rock crawling. Tack on $5K more and you can get into a very nice Grand Cherokee which leads the SUV segment.

FCA is clearly taking the popularity of the Wrangler and milking people like a dairy cow for every penny they can get.

One example out of hundreds: Why does it cost $695 to upgrade axle ratio on Wrangler, and $95 to do the same thing on Ram, Challenger, or any of their other vehicles?

MotorMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep
I must say. It does blow my mind that Jeep is going to charge $37k for a base Sport S with auto/V6 pentastar.. it really doesn’t make much sense to me. You can get a freakin Z71 for that money. And yes while most will argue that the Z71 is ugly, I’d add that the base Sport S isn’t much of a looker anyway..

Last edited:

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Already have. Wife will be in the market for a Jeep once we get past Christmas. The Cherokee, in TrailHawk trim which is almost top of the line, can be bought for low $30Ks and it has a LOT more features, is more comfortable, and will do everything offroad a Wrangler will do minus the hard core rock crawling. Tack on $5K more and you can get into a very nice Grand Cherokee which leads the SUV segment.

FCA is clearly taking the popularity of the Wrangler and milking people like a dairy cow for every penny they can get.

One example out of hundreds: Why does it cost $695 to upgrade axle ratio on Wrangler, and $95 to do the same thing on Ram, Challenger, or any of their other vehicles?
Don't kid yourself. The GC Trailhawk is probably the most capable SUV in its class, but it isn't even close to a Wrangler. Not even a Sport. I've pulled more GC's out of mud holes and off of obstacles than any other make/model of vehicle. Stuff Wranglers get through with ease. The options list isn't why you buy a Wrangler. It's the convertible, doors-off, off-road capability, which no other vehicle has.

As for milking it, isn't that what they are in business to do? They exist to make a profit. Their shareholders, expect it. I can't fault them for pursuing their core mission.

Honestly, my personal preference would be a base Sport over the most loaded GC. Love the GC, but it isn't the essence of a Jeep. It is a distant cousin, at best.

jeppesen.io

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Miata, WR250R, JLU Rubicon
That's how business works - especially publicly traded ones

Sponsored

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Don't kid yourself. The GC Trailhawk is probably the most capable SUV in its class, but it isn't even close to a Wrangler. Not even a Sport. I've pulled more GC's out of mud holes and off of obstacles than any other make/model of vehicle. Stuff Wranglers get through with ease. The options list isn't why you buy a Wrangler. It's the convertible, doors-off, off-road capability, which no other vehicle has.

As for milking it, isn't that what they are in business to do? They exist to make a profit. Their shareholders, expect it. I can't fault them for pursuing their core mission.

Honestly, my personal preference would be a base Sport over the most loaded GC. Love the GC, but it isn't the essence of a Jeep. It is a distant cousin, at best.
After owing two Grand Cherokees and three Wranglers, and wheeling just about every type of 4x4 you can think of across multiple states, I strongly disagree with you. Aside from hard core rock crawling, where the Wrangler's better approach and departure angles aid it, there is no huge difference in offroad ability whatsoever. In fact, the Wrangler gets the worst traction control and brake-lock differential system of the entire lineup. So, unless you buy the Rubicon, you can't even get through mud as well as a GC or Cherokee.

Doors off, top off...yeah nobody can deny that. But is it worth paying all that extra money for, while giving up other features too? That's the question.

YFD_322

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GC, 2019 GC SRT
Do you think the premium cloth seats are like the Oscar mike seats? Cloth in the middle only? Or are they all cloth
2017-Jeep-Wrangler-Freedom-seats.jpg

Last edited:

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
After owing two Grand Cherokees and three Wranglers, and wheeling just about every type of 4x4 you can think of across multiple states, I strongly disagree with you. Aside from hard core rock crawling, where the Wrangler's better approach and departure angles aid it, there is no huge difference in offroad ability whatsoever. In fact, the Wrangler gets the worst traction control and brake-lock differential system of the entire lineup. So, unless you buy the Rubicon, you can't even get through mud as well as a GC or Cherokee.

Doors off, top off...yeah nobody can deny that. But is it worth paying all that extra money for, while giving up other features too? That's the question.
In a word, YES.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU

Completely disagree. You don’t have to go hard core rock crawling to need articulation to keep the wheels on the ground. Anytime you lift a tire in the Cherokee you would be better off in a wrangler rutted out roads/uneven terrain the wrangler is going to give you a huge advantage. In the northwest my wrangler went places a Cherokee/grand could only dream of. Very few of them were “hard core rock crawling”.
Sponsored